gang culture

Old Oct 27th 2003, 12:57 pm
WBB

Default gang culture

we were watching a series on bravo a couple of nights ago about the worlds deadliest gangs and of all the places in the world it was set in nz the gang was called the "mongrel mob".

i was wondering what the situation is like in australia because from watching this prog it would make you think nz was run by a couple of gangs.

i know there is a problem with the asian type gangs in oz but from what i have been told they keep things amongst themselves in the main, is there a gang culture in australia or is it confined to nz.

Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:54 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: gang culture

Originally posted by welshboybilly
we were watching a series on bravo a couple of nights ago about the worlds deadliest gangs and of all the places in the world it was set in nz the gang was called the "mongrel mob".

i was wondering what the situation is like in australia because from watching this prog it would make you think nz was run by a couple of gangs.

i know there is a problem with the asian type gangs in oz but from what i have been told they keep things amongst themselves in the main, is there a gang culture in australia or is it confined to nz.
Have you ever seen "Once were warriors", when I saw that about the gangs there it frightened me to death. Then when I lived in Sydney met a New zealand kiwi and she was raised amongst the mobs and left to get away from it all to Oz. The stories she used to tell, reckons it was like living the film.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 1:59 pm
Be true to your skew

Pookin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: gang culture

Originally posted by nicholls clan
Have you ever seen "Once were warriors", when I saw that about the gangs there it frightened me to death. Then when I lived in Sydney met a New zealand kiwi and she was raised amongst the mobs and left to get away from it all to Oz. The stories she used to tell, reckons it was like living the film.
Amazing film, but as nicholls says, completely harrowing. This is a good review/overview:

http://www.film.u-net.com/Movies/Rev...Warrriors.html
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mongrel Mob

More reading on Mob Culture.

http://www.laworderreferendum.org.nz/Recent.htm
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:28 pm
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: Mongrel Mob

Originally posted by Kendoddsdadsdog
More reading on Mob Culture.

http://www.laworderreferendum.org.nz/Recent.htm

I read some of the stories and......
Just frightened the life out of me...

Makes the Krays look tame.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:45 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Duff who wrote the book once were warriors did an excellent commentary on the whole gang culture especially among the NZ maori youth a few years back and what leads them into the gangs etc (if i can find the link will post it -it is avery good social commentary on what the is happening and what can be done)
BTW the follow up to Once were Warriors is -What becomes of the broken hearted-and it deals more with the whole gang culture - worth checking out (kind of has amore positive outcome in some ways to OWW)
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Maybe not quite what you are talking about but the scottish rugby team had to move out of their hotel when a gang of hells angels turned up and checked in.

Lynn
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:08 pm
WBB

cheers for the replies, i did not think of new zealand as a place where these gangs run unchecked.

they sound like a violent lot.

Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

It doesn't matter where in the world you live - there are still different social problems.

I live in the southern suburbs of Adelaide in Woodcroft/Reynella/Happy Valley area. Nice place but HUGE problem with teenage graffiti gangs which has in recent months become violent, with people being bashed and left hospitalised when trying to defend their property from being 'tagged'.

Having said that it is much safer here than in the UK and I have no qualms about taking my little dog for a walk late at night on my own.

Yes, we have home invasions, bashings, drug problems, car theft, burglary, bikie gangs, and murders - but in all truthfulness it is probably safer here than just about anywhere in the UK.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

WheelsOfSteel is on a distinguished road

I think most areas in NZ have a gang house. I think they keep themselves to themselves but don't buy a house next to one as it will effect the re-salable value ; - )

Every populated country has it's probs. Used to live in London and feel far safer over here with or without the gangs.

Also, gangs are everywhere in the world. Just depends if they are 'official' or not. I wouldn't let it put you off.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:40 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by welshboybilly
cheers for the replies, i did not think of new zealand as a place where these gangs run unchecked.

they sound like a violent lot.
You'd better believe it dude.

Here in Perth you've got various bikie gangs, like the Coffin Cheaters and they are not to be messed with but it's unlikely you'll have to cross them.

Basically, don't become a drugs dealer on their patch. Don't go up to their bikes parked in a line outside a pub and knock them all down like dominoes. If you see a load of them approaching in your rear view mirror, make sure you give them enough space to get through.

They run all the tatoo shops here as well. If you decide to open a tatoo parlour, expect to have it wrecked and to get a good "bashing".

You've also got Vietnamese gangs like the Spider Boys who seem to always be warring with each other.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 11:49 pm
owieb

And a nice article here for those going to Adelaide!

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E26462,00.html

Old Oct 28th 2003, 3:56 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wizzywozza
It doesn't matter where in the world you live - there are still different social problems.

I live in the southern suburbs of Adelaide in Woodcroft/Reynella/Happy Valley area. Nice place but HUGE problem with teenage graffiti gangs which has in recent months become violent, with people being bashed and left hospitalised when trying to defend their property from being 'tagged'.

Having said that it is much safer here than in the UK and I have no qualms about taking my little dog for a walk late at night on my own.

Yes, we have home invasions, bashings, drug problems, car theft, burglary, bikie gangs, and murders - but in all truthfulness it is probably safer here than just about anywhere in the UK.
hi wizzy /w Hows the job going,? we were talking today about the woodcroft incident, and your name came to mind. we had a delivery at sheidow park ,and it looks like that area has had ,a good going over from these A/holes ..................... MM
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woodcroft, 25 kms south of Adelaide South Australia
wizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the roughwizzywozza is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by mr mover
hi wizzy /w Hows the job going,? we were talking today about the woodcroft incident, and your name came to mind. we had a delivery at sheidow park ,and it looks like that area has had ,a good going over from these A/holes ..................... MM

Don't ask about the job!!! Seems management have got the Aussie disease of treating the workers like scum! No more said - might have another job in the pipeline - as always a case of who you know!

The Woodcroft thing was just around the corner from me, and adjacent to the house of some good friends. It's quite scary to think this goes on so close, but we have had this 'gang' problem here for years, and thankfully I have not had any problems where I am, although quite mysteriously a VACUUM CLEANER!!!! turned up on my drive the other night (and YES it does work!).
Old Oct 28th 2003, 7:43 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by wizzywozza
Don't ask about the job!!! Seems management have got the Aussie disease of treating the workers like scum! No more said - might have another job in the pipeline - as always a case of who you know!

The Woodcroft thing was just around the corner from me, and adjacent to the house of some good friends. It's quite scary to think this goes on so close, but we have had this 'gang' problem here for years, and thankfully I have not had any problems where I am, although quite mysteriously a VACUUM CLEANER!!!! turned up on my drive the other night (and YES it does work!).
Sorry about the job W/W . but aleast you scored ,a vax...... MM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.