Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gamble...sell house before we get our Visas!

Gamble...sell house before we get our Visas!

Old Oct 19th 2007, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of
Default Gamble...sell house before we get our Visas!

Okay,
So I have not even bothered to do a search for this one!
I want the current word on the street for this one given the current housing
market....
Do you guys think I am safe enough selling my house prior to getting my PR visa in my passport. I am a Registered Nurse with over 3 years acute experince.
I think I have walked the ANMC skills assessment but selling now seems reckless!
However, it would solve short term money worries about paying for the Medicals, Visa itself, removals and the like.
We stand to release about £60K when we sell.
Alan
x
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gamble...sell house before we get our Visas!

Originally Posted by hollykimalan
Okay,
market....
Do you guys think I am safe enough selling my house prior to getting my PR visa in my passport. I am a Registered Nurse with over 3 years acute experince.
I think I have walked the ANMC skills assessment but selling now seems reckless!
However, it would solve short term money worries about paying for the Medicals, Visa itself, removals and the like.
Alan
x
We put ours on the market in March before we got our visas in May and have still not sold it. Given the current very very slow market, personally I would be putting it on as soon as possible. I wish we had put ours on earlier as we are now having to make a validation trip which we had not planned on.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 3:43 pm

cheekivimto07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we put one of our houses on the market and it sold within a week, we are currently getting another one valued and putting it up after christmas, although as people have said the market is slowing down now. Our visa hasnt arrived yet either but shouldnt be too much longer. I would suggest putting yours on the market and see what happens. Good Luck
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Flutterby
We put ours on the market in March before we got our visas in May and have still not sold it. Given the current very very slow market, personally I would be putting it on as soon as possible. I wish we had put ours on earlier as we are now having to make a validation trip which we had not planned on.
We are now also having to take a trip to validate, actualy we havent even got our visa yet, so we are selling before we have a visa. If it sells and we have for some reason been declined a PR visa we will be in a good state to start over again.

In all honesty though I cant see there being a problem, but we must sell before we leave permanently, I should have put it on the market sooner.
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

bradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to allbradfordlad is a name known to all

Alan
x
WHEN you sell,that is the question....when will that be.....good luck
Old Oct 19th 2007, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Okay,
market....
Alan
x
We put ours on the market before I had even sent off the visa application. As a nurse who worked 37.5 hours a week I had no doubt about getting the visa and hated the thoughts of getting the visa and not being able to come over cause the house didn't sell.
Tracie
Old Oct 19th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

hollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud ofhollykimalan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by breezeboylan
We put ours on the market before I had even sent off the visa application. As a nurse who worked 37.5 hours a week I had no doubt about getting the visa and hated the thoughts of getting the visa and not being able to come over cause the house didn't sell.
Tracie

Yeah,
Thats what I thought! It is 'orrible having to wait for visas and stuff as it is.
We just want to get out there now....And everyone seems to agree that
Nursing is a dead certainty for a visa...heres hoping!
We live in Fife Scotland and the housing market where we are is still pretty boyant....
But until we have a buyer it is all pretty much guess work...we have family to stay with if we sell early..
Anybody want to buy a four bedroom house in North East Fife?
Alan and Kim
x
Old Oct 19th 2007, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

We put ours on the market in July last year and moved out last November. Our visa application didn't even go in until July this year (admittedly 6 months after we had hoped for).
We made the commitment to move to Aus and decided it better to sell the house rather than be stressing over selling it when we got the visa's. We also gave up our jobs and took up temporary jobs.
Maybe we are just mad to do this but at least when we get the visa's, there will be nothing to stop us going straight away.
A big gamble, but one we were prepared to take.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 4:02 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Yep we put our house on the market and sold before we got our visas....just stayed with friends for a few weeks before we left...nice catching up. Good luck.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud ofOzzy Fever has much to be proud of

We have also sold our house at present living at my mums in a Granny Annexe. We were going to sell the house anyway even if we were not planning to go to Oz. Glad we sold as a friend of mine has had hers up for sale for 14 weeks and not had one viewer.

Nicky
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

We put ours on even before the skills assessments were lodged in May this year. Sadly, one sale fell through and now it is back on the market.

It is VERY stressful to try to sell a house you love, when you haven't got the visa BUT I should imagine it is more stressful not to sell and have the visa.