Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:44 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
I would have thought a good Essex lad would understand that. I used to have a book on Cockney Rhyming slang once, before my mother realised a lot of it was rude
I'm actually a Londoner by birth, but it was way over the top
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

steve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to allsteve-n-jo is a name known to all

Being fully qualified in the UK then coming out to face all this is a bit of an eye opener.

I haven't even considered getting my gas licence yet.

Getting a job with a provisional licence can be difficult. Most employers want a full one and for you to be able to sign jobs off. I got a job quite quickly and was shown around 3 local jobs and was told there was plenty of local work (on the Sunshine Coast). After the 1st day I was sent on jobs down to Brisbane - over 1-1.5 hrs each way! Not so local after all. I decided I didn't come over here to work to travel 3 hrs a day for a plumbing job and jacked it in.

As plumbers are on the demand list and they are wanting you to come across they sure as hell make it difficult for you when you get here and just want to get on with working.

Sorry to cast doom and gloom but its better knowing the reality.

The place is stunning and we really like it here.

If anyone wants the details for the lady in charge of the licences in Brisbane PM me. She's very helpful - wish I'd done it before I'd left.

Flumpers Hubby[/QUOTE]

Hi.....I know the feeling !!!!!!!! this place is licence mad.. :scared:

I'm a Carpenter, fully qualified (in the uk) ran my own carpentry contracting firm for ten years...20 years on the tools, member of The Institute of Carpenters bla bla bla... cant get a licence to work on my own here because quote "havent got enough experience" and your skills assesment from the TRA isnt worth the paper its written on !!! but it does actually say that.. and i Quote from the letter "Although you have been classified for migration purposes you may not automatically be granted a qualification when you arrive in Australia. It may be necessary for you to undertake further skills evaluation, which may include an interview and/or practical theory test, before a qualification can be granted."

I can work for another carpenter but cannot be self employed, until I have had my qualifications tranferred to Aus standard, and gone to college for about fifty hours in total and $1700.00 dollars learning planning rules, health and safety and tons of other tosh.. (I am embarked on the tosh !!)

Read in todays paper in Adelaide that although thousands of skilled visas were issued there is still a skills shortage because only 10% of those issued with visas can carry out there trade !!!

So Mcdonalds for me "extra fries sir ? "

Steve
Old Jul 28th 2005, 7:38 am

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo

Read in todays paper in Adelaide that although thousands of skilled visas were issued there is still a skills shortage because only 10% of those issued with visas can carry out there trade !!!

So Mcdonalds for me "extra fries sir ? "

Steve
10% You would think that the penny might actually drop with some authority or another and they would do something about it instead of just bleating on about the skills shortage in the country
Old Jul 28th 2005, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice

An option for plumbers coming over here is to get into pool installation and servicing. There were 4 jobs advertised in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and 2 of them said they were willing to take someone on and train them up but preferably someone who had plumbing experience.

Best thing is you don't need a licence - I've checked with the plumbing board.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:02 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flumper
An option for plumbers coming over here is to get into pool installation and servicing. There were 4 jobs advertised in Brisbane a couple of weeks ago and 2 of them said they were willing to take someone on and train them up but preferably someone who had plumbing experience.

Best thing is you don't need a licence - I've checked with the plumbing board.

Thats what Scossie went into - he has his own company now in Perth installing pools!!!! I imagine there would be plenty of work judging by all the new builds going up and it beats unblocking toilets!!!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:12 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Thats what Scossie went into - he has his own company now in Perth installing pools!!!! I imagine there would be plenty of work judging by all the new builds going up and it beats unblocking toilets!!!
Shame Melbourne doesn't have as many pools
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve-n-jo
Hi.....I know the feeling !!!!!!!! this place is licence mad.. :scared:

Steve[/QUOTE]

A few aussies and pom tradesmen who have jumped the hoops have posted this stuff in the past, my postings australian, 20 years OZ construction qualified up to 75 storey highrise, got me a load of abuse from angry english housewifes one here and some still in UK who didnt like what I wrote :scared: especially about plugs So I shut up.

PMSL yesterday reading immigration article, the opposition makes a fair point in saying that too many tradesmen immigrants being let in, theres simply not that many jobs now the housing market has cooled, but the article goes on to say we need builders, getting a carpentry lic is difficult enough, getting a general/domestic or open lic takes years of quals/ experience.

With job ads, many jobs advertised in city and regional papers are actually out bush let alone an hours drive, old con advertise locally, if they put woop woop nobody would answer make out job is local then offer higher than ave wages to get you there. Plenty of blokes do go for the money.

Anyone on the sunshine coast looking for work try Caboolture its a bit of a dump to live in but 25 minute drive from beach and loads of big jobs about to start, anyone wanting experince ask about trades assistant jobs, will get you the experience, step down but probably what many will have to do.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 28th 2005 at 9:25 am.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
Shame Melbourne doesn't have as many pools

Hmmm..... they must have plenty indoor ones then!?!?!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hope its easier in WA, Lic for pool building in qld has just been tightened up, theres usually loads of agro with cracks etc and to be competitive you need to take on the agro for $1000 pre tax profit margin :scared:
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hope its easier in WA, Lic for pool building in qld has just been tightened up, theres usually loads of agro with cracks etc and to be competitive you need to take on the agro for $1000 pre tax profit margin :scared:

i know whats going to happen, im going to be a publican widow again
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i know whats going to happen, im going to be a publican widow again
People will eventually get work, but like the OP says, they should know they will need to go through hoops to get the lic, and may have to go back to Trades Assist/ labourer to get the necessary experience. Travelling to get to work in aus is widely accepted especially in trades, I reguarly have do 500 to 1000 k's a week in a large expensive to fuel vehicle a nice slice of your profits. Big country big petrol bills.

Dont know about the pub game, most hotels here are owned by large chains, liquor licences seem hard to get too
Old Jul 28th 2005, 9:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jad n rich
People will eventually get work, but like the OP says, they should know they will need to go through hoops to get the lic, and may have to go back to Trades Assist/ labourer to get the necessary experience. Travelling to get to work in aus is widely accepted especially in trades, I reguarly have do 500 to 1000 k's a week in a large expensive to fuel vehicle a nice slice of your profits. Big country big petrol bills.

Dont know about the pub game, most hotels here are owned by large chains, liquor licences seem hard to get too

At the end of the day, i dont think him indoors is all that bothered about hoops - christ alive its not like its a breeze over here is it with ACOPS and Corgi blah blah blah which cost an arm and a leg. besides, hes always got Plan C - kick me out to work :scared: