Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

flumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really niceflumper is just really nice
Default Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

Thought I would post my experiences to date trying to gain plumbing licence/work in QLD. Sorry its so long.

Been here 2.5 months now and initially got my provisional licence very quickly. Walked into the office in Brisbane and walked out with the provisional licence and instructions on what modules had to be completed through TAFE.

Was told any qualified plumbers coming from the UK had to complete the following as a minimum depending on the level of qualifications. The more info. you can bring the better to prove what you have done.

I've got to complete the following for my Drainers Licence:-

CCQ413D - Waste Disposals Systems 3 (Parts 4,5,6 & 7)
4. Install below ground Sanitary and Stormwater Drainage Systems
5. Cut in branches and replace sections of below ground drain
6. Install small Septic Tanks
7. Install Effluent Disposal Systems

There is a lot more depending on your experience which could possibly have to be covered. Just posting what I have to do.

For the Plumbers Licence:-

CCQ409L - Water Supply 2 (Parts 6, 7 & 8)
6. Adjust a range of flushing devices, valves and mechanical devices for correct flow and operation
7. Install Solar Hot Water Systems
8. Fabricate and install fire hydrants and hose reels

Doesn't sound a lot but wait until you see the packs. :scared:

For both of these course I am doing them by correspondence but you can do them at a TAFE college. Correspondence costs £139 and $83 respectively. Looks like a lot of work involved considering you would be working also.

You have to complete an assignment which has to be signed off by your employer and a plumbing inspector covering the areas mentioned above. Then you have to go into college to do an exam! They also require you to work for a company for a year.

Only after all that can you approach them for a full licence.

Being fully qualified in the UK then coming out to face all this is a bit of an eye opener.

I haven't even considered getting my gas licence yet.

Getting a job with a provisional licence can be difficult. Most employers want a full one and for you to be able to sign jobs off. I got a job quite quickly and was shown around 3 local jobs and was told there was plenty of local work (on the Sunshine Coast). After the 1st day I was sent on jobs down to Brisbane - over 1-1.5 hrs each way! Not so local after all. I decided I didn't come over here to work to travel 3 hrs a day for a plumbing job and jacked it in.

As plumbers are on the demand list and they are wanting you to come across they sure as hell make it difficult for you when you get here and just want to get on with working.

Sorry to cast doom and gloom but its better knowing the reality.

The place is stunning and we really like it here.

If anyone wants the details for the lady in charge of the licences in Brisbane PM me. She's very helpful - wish I'd done it before I'd left.

Flumpers Hubby
Old Jul 27th 2005, 12:15 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gaining a Plumbing Licence in QLD

As I suspected no plumbing for me as I only had the minimum to get in

I wonder what I'll do for work
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser

open a bar with Jed!?!??
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:11 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rooksie
open a bar with Jed!?!??
It'll be a big commute for one of us
Old Jul 27th 2005, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

It'll be a big commute for one of us
we could have a chain mate!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

just read the OP to Jed
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:46 pm

just read the OP to Jed
Is there stuff flying about yet :scared:
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

Is there stuff flying about yet :scared:

he's busy looking at Page 3 now!! however, he has also read (albeit in The Sun) that class sizes are doubling to 60!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 3:51 pm

he's busy looking at Page 3 now!! however, he has also read (albeit in The Sun) that class sizes are doubling to 60!!
Page 3 was quality today

It does make me laugh though they make you jump through hoops to prove your competancy at the job and then wont let you do it
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Page 3 was quality today

It does make me laugh though they make you jump through hoops to prove your competancy at the job and then wont let you do it

true!!

Scossie binned it off as a bad job as well didnt he. i dont hear of other trade licences being as convoluted as plumbing probably explains why theres a bloody shortage!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:08 pm

true!!

Scossie binned it off as a bad job as well didnt he. i dont hear of other trade licences being as convoluted as plumbing probably explains why theres a bloody shortage!!
I think sparkys have even more trouble from what I can make out
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

I think sparkys have even more trouble from what I can make out

Jed has sparky C&G also but not 16 edition - so thats Plan B out the window!!!!

you know whats going to happen dont you - me booted back into the work force!!! :scared: :scared:
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:13 pm

Jed has sparky C&G also but not 16 edition - so thats Plan B out the window!!!!

you know whats going to happen dont you - me booted back into the work force!!! :scared: :scared:
Rachel's got the hump because she's got to stay with the kids
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:16 pm
Account Closed

so what do you plan on doing then???? stick out for plumbing or open a bar!?!?!

actually, dont tell Jed, but i wouldnt mind going back to work. ive only stayed at home for the last 2 years and im going round the bend!!!
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:16 pm

Anne4Terry is on a distinguished road

Terry's got the hump because I just read him this thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.