Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 6:55 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

Originally Posted by SEAL
We've got a full 20ft container going from Kent to Melbourne in a couple of weeks and PSS are charging £3250 +/-. I just need to try and get my head around the insurance business now!

S.
Hello Seal

We are also shipping out a 20ft container from Kent (Sittingbourne) in early Jan using Pickfords - much the same price as your quote with PSS.

You're right - its the insurance loading (watch the 20% in Category A) that does for you plus completing all the "new-for-old" reams of paper covering everything you are taking and the form required for Australian customs. I believe they want your passport numbers for this form too, but I did read somewhere (DIMIA?) that they want a photocopy of all relevant pages in your passport also - presumably to prove the issue of the visa? What do you know of this?

Regards

Jim
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 8:18 am
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Insurance 2.50% of goods' value, with an excess of 1% of goods' value (we're working on £10, 000 worth of goods). (There is an option for no excess, in which case the % increases to 3.4%)
thanks for making the insurance sound so simple!

S.

PS friends of ours are leaving on Sunday for Aus - they used Crown and from what I can gather there isn't much between them & PSS. We went for PSS because they were competitive, friendly, knowledgeable, recommended (on this site) etc. etc.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:27 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Now, I know that you've all been on tenterhooks waiting for the final installment of what is a thrilling thread! So here it is:

Company Crown
Quote £1,770.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 350
Insurance 3.00% (of insured value)
Total £2,070.00
£/ Cubic Foot £5.06

Sooooo, having thought about it (for weeks now, I know!) I think we're going to go with PSS. Phew!

GG
Old Jan 5th 2005, 7:59 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Not wanting to hijack any thread in particular, but noticing that there have been a few shipping queries of late, I thought I'd bump this thread to the top by adding a bit more info.

Most of the companies' timescale quotes came in at between 8–12 weeks; most allowing for 7 weeks on the water. (Remember that we're shipping to Sydney.) Obviously, timeframes will be affected by customs clearance etc and peoples' experiences here have suggested that shipping over a holiday period (particularly Christmas) means that weeks can be added to an estimate.

GG
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:06 am
Just Joined

SEAL is an unknown quantity at this point

Not wanting to hijack any thread in particular, but noticing that there have been a few shipping queries of late, I thought I'd bump this thread to the top by adding a bit more info.

Most of the companies' timescale quotes came in at between 8–12 weeks; most allowing for 7 weeks on the water. (Remember that we're shipping to Sydney.) Obviously, timeframes will be affected by customs clearance etc and peoples' experiences here have suggested that shipping over a holiday period (particularly Christmas) means that weeks can be added to an estimate.

GG
Our container left Tilbury on Christmas Eve and is supposed to arrive in Melbourne on 21 Jan. Allowing 3 weeks for clearance the whole process will have taken 7 weeks - quite impressive in my book!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:23 am
heehaugh

Granger will become famous soon enoughGranger will become famous soon enough

Guy came out from Pickfords in November never got quote until now, and I have never heard back from them since. Talk about bad service
Old Jan 6th 2005, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Fastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant futureFastfunker has a brilliant future
Talking Re: FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

Originally Posted by Granger
Guy came out from Pickfords in November never got quote until now, and I have never heard back from them since. Talk about bad service
We has PSS, John Masons, Crown, and Pickfords in recently. Played them all off against each other and finally decided to go with JMI; £2925 for a full 20' container (down from an original quote of around £3200 odd). All were good and professional, but just felt JMI had the edge. They have also agreed to reduce their insurance to 2.5% (next headache to worry about).

PSS originally quoted us for a "reefer" container (with a refrigeration unit in it therefore slighly smaller capacity), but this was coming in at just under £3K for less space - couldn't justify the price on this basis.

Be aware that all of these companies use different "routes". i.e PSS were quoting us 28 days (!) for shipping direct to Sydney using P&O, and JMI use "CGA" or "CMG" or someone (I think it was) who go via the Panama canal and therefore take longer; 40 odd days but less expensive. It's worth checking which carrier/route they are quoting you for when comparing. Personally I am not too fussed by an extra couple of weeks, and frankly I would be amazed if anyone could get a container down to Sydney and cleared within a month!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:15 pm
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Hi all,

As the GG household is currently being invaded, occasionally, by people coming round to quote for shipping, I thought I’d share the results. We’re shipping from (near) Oxford to Sydney and working on shipping at the end of January. We have a one bedroom, ground floor flat with good access. Might help people get a rough idea as to costs:

Company Anglo Pacific (I know!!!!)
Quote £1,645.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 350
Insurance 2.95%
Total £1,693.53
£/ Cubic Foot £4.70

Anglo Pacific actually never came round to quote (they gave this via email) and once we’d read the posts here about them, we understood that this might be a bad omen!

Company John Mason
Quote £1,754.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 360
Insurance 3.00%
Total £1,806.62
£/ Cubic Foot £4.87

Company Avalon
Quote £1,797.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 390
Insurance 2.75%
Total £1,846.42
£/ Cubic Foot £4.61

Company AVM Storage
Quote £1,200.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 340
Insurance Estimate not given
Total N/A
£/ Cubic Foot £3.53 (exc insurance)

Company Robinsons
Quote £1,740.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 400
Insurance 3.50%
Total £2,090.00
£/ Cubic Foot £4.35

Company Allied Pickfords
Quote £2,555.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 490
Insurance 3.00%
Total £2,855.00
£/ Cubic Foot £5.21 (Crikey!!)

At this stage John Mason are looking good. However, PPS are coming on Friday and Crown the Friday after that. And then, finally, we might make a decision! No, it’s not us being thorough, it’s just indecisiveness!

Confused GG
Just thought I would add to this thread. Contacted PSS - very helpful aussie lady (in the process of wanting to move back home!) For a 20' container somerset to Bris £2800 insurance super 3.4% standard 2.5% Additional $300 on the other side. Seems good to me seeing as Britannia quoted 4k plus!
"Every pound saved over here is 2 dollars plus over there!" Quote by Scrooge circa 1845
ViVi
Old Jan 6th 2005, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

cazzamack is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SEAL
Our container left Tilbury on Christmas Eve and is supposed to arrive in Melbourne on 21 Jan. Allowing 3 weeks for clearance the whole process will have taken 7 weeks - quite impressive in my book!
Our sole use container was also booked on the Contship Australis to leave Tilbury on Christmas Eve, to arrive in Sydney on 21st Jan.

Got a call from Brittania yesterday to tell us that container and 200 others had not been loaded on to the ship due to bad weather conditions.

We are now booked on a boat 14th Jan to arrive 16th Feb. means we will be without stuff for about 7 weeks in Sydney. Are you sure your container made it on to the ship?
Old Jan 6th 2005, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

crossedleggedmoose will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

As the GG household is currently being invaded, occasionally, by people coming round to quote for shipping, I thought I’d share the results. We’re shipping from (near) Oxford to Sydney and working on shipping at the end of January. We have a one bedroom, ground floor flat with good access. Might help people get a rough idea as to costs:

Quote £1,645.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 350
Insurance 2.95%
Total £1,693.53
£/ Cubic Foot £4.70

Anglo Pacific actually never came round to quote (they gave this via email) and once we’d read the posts here about them, we understood that this might be a bad omen!

Company John Mason
Quote £1,754.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 360
Insurance 3.00%
Total £1,806.62
£/ Cubic Foot £4.87

Company Avalon
Quote £1,797.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 390
Insurance 2.75%
Total £1,846.42
£/ Cubic Foot £4.61

Company AVM Storage
Quote £1,200.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 340
Total N/A

Company Robinsons
Quote £1,740.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 400
Insurance 3.50%
Total £2,090.00
£/ Cubic Foot £4.35

Company Allied Pickfords
Quote £2,555.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 490
Insurance 3.00%
Total £2,855.00

At this stage John Mason are looking good. However, PPS are coming on Friday and Crown the Friday after that. And then, finally, we might make a decision! No, it’s not us being thorough, it’s just indecisiveness!

Confused GG
Thank you very much for the info. We are just looking into this now. Considering only taking a few things and not big furniture, but don't know if this just causes more grief once we are out there!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 9:47 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Hi,

We weighed up cost of shipping (amount of space taken up and additional cost to insurance) vs. what we could get if we sold our stuff and how much it would cost to buy new. The complete cost of shipping works out as follows:

Quote from PSS for packing and shipping - £1,613.00 (reduced from £1,713.00, just because we asked them to)
Insurance - £361.25 (2.5% of the total sum insured, with excess. In our case, this is based on insuring both contents (to the tune of £12,837) and being insured against total loss of consignment - ie, being insured so that should the ship sink en route, we get the £1,613 that PSS are charging us for coming to pack and ship the stuff back.)

Therefore, our total shipping cost (from this end at least!) is £1974.25.

So, to get back to your original point, we figured that buying a new settee would cost the best part of a grand and therefore it would just be cheaper to ship it. Plus, it's mine ... And I think that having a bit of the familiar around will be welcome when we first arrive. And I'd hate to have to spend the first few weeks in Aus looking for a new sofa rather than exploring my new surroundings.

If you made it to the end of this post without falling asleep, well done!

GG

PS Karma on its way for most amusing new user name!

Originally Posted by crossedleggedmoose
Thank you very much for the info. We are just looking into this now. Considering only taking a few things and not big furniture, but don't know if this just causes more grief once we are out there!
Old Jan 6th 2005, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

crossedleggedmoose will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We weighed up cost of shipping (amount of space taken up and additional cost to insurance) vs. what we could get if we sold our stuff and how much it would cost to buy new. The complete cost of shipping works out as follows:

Quote from PSS for packing and shipping - £1,613.00 (reduced from £1,713.00, just because we asked them to)
Insurance - £361.25 (2.5% of the total sum insured, with excess. In our case, this is based on insuring both contents (to the tune of £12,837) and being insured against total loss of consignment - ie, being insured so that should the ship sink en route, we get the £1,613 that PSS are charging us for coming to pack and ship the stuff back.)

Therefore, our total shipping cost (from this end at least!) is £1974.25.

So, to get back to your original point, we figured that buying a new settee would cost the best part of a grand and therefore it would just be cheaper to ship it. Plus, it's mine ... And I think that having a bit of the familiar around will be welcome when we first arrive. And I'd hate to have to spend the first few weeks in Aus looking for a new sofa rather than exploring my new surroundings.

If you made it to the end of this post without falling asleep, well done!

GG

PS Karma on its way for most amusing new user name!
Hi GG

Thanks for the advice. Good point about having your own things in a new country. I'm sure it makes settling in much easier and the place starts to feel like home, but a part of me just wants to buy new things! (new start, etc)

Crossedleggedmoose
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

Hi Geordie George,
well i got my visa at last and am now looking into the shipping details. this is a good thread that u have started. i am shipping from manchester to sydney. plan to leave for oz start of may and get to sydney mid to end of june. do you now how long it takes for the stuff to get to sydney? or even how soon we need to send our stuff?
cheers GG for any help. i suppose i need to start calling the companies direct. who do you recommend i start with? cheers

Hi all,

Quote £1,645.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 350
Insurance 2.95%
Total £1,693.53
£/ Cubic Foot £4.70

Company John Mason
Quote £1,754.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 360
Insurance 3.00%
Total £1,806.62
£/ Cubic Foot £4.87

Company Avalon
Quote £1,797.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 390
Insurance 2.75%
Total £1,846.42
£/ Cubic Foot £4.61

Company AVM Storage
Quote £1,200.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 340
Total N/A

Company Robinsons
Quote £1,740.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 400
Insurance 3.50%
Total £2,090.00
£/ Cubic Foot £4.35

Company Allied Pickfords
Quote £2,555.00
Estimated Cubic Feet 490
Insurance 3.00%
Total £2,855.00

Confused GG
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:16 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Hi,

I think most companies quoted 8–12 weeks for shipping to Sydney. PSS are coming to pack all our stuff a week today ( :scared: ), then we fly on Feb 13 and travel for just under 4 weeks. We arrive in Sydney on Mar 13 - about 6 weeks after PSS come and pack. We're then booked into a hostel in Sydney for two weeks, which should give us some time to find somewhere to live; if the stuff (by some miracle) arrives sooner, storage is pretty cheap and if it takes longer, we'll be moving on to another hostel while we wait!

As for which company ... I'm kinda biased towards PSS! They get good feedback on this site and their customer service has been good (so far). I'd definitely get at least three quotes before making a decision. And remember that you can negotiate with companies about cost.

Good luck,
GG

Originally Posted by threlly
Hi Geordie George,
well i got my visa at last and am now looking into the shipping details. this is a good thread that u have started. i am shipping from manchester to sydney. plan to leave for oz start of may and get to sydney mid to end of june. do you now how long it takes for the stuff to get to sydney? or even how soon we need to send our stuff?
cheers GG for any help. i suppose i need to start calling the companies direct. who do you recommend i start with? cheers
Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: FYI: Shipping quotes/prices

Hi Geordie George,
thanks for your help. i will give PSS a call. you mention that u can negoitate rerice, I am not too good at that kind of thing but i will give it a try. one last question, how do find out when your shipment has arrived, do they keep in touch via e-mail?
you haven't got long now, i bet you are so excited. i am hoping to book our flights today, plan to go at start of may and be in sydney by end of june. where in sydney are you planning on living? we are heading for the manly/dee why area?
cheers

Hi,

I think most companies quoted 8–12 weeks for shipping to Sydney. PSS are coming to pack all our stuff a week today ( :scared: ), then we fly on Feb 13 and travel for just under 4 weeks. We arrive in Sydney on Mar 13 - about 6 weeks after PSS come and pack. We're then booked into a hostel in Sydney for two weeks, which should give us some time to find somewhere to live; if the stuff (by some miracle) arrives sooner, storage is pretty cheap and if it takes longer, we'll be moving on to another hostel while we wait!

As for which company ... I'm kinda biased towards PSS! They get good feedback on this site and their customer service has been good (so far). I'd definitely get at least three quotes before making a decision. And remember that you can negotiate with companies about cost.

Good luck,
GG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.