FYI - OUr set up costs for Brisbane June 2008 for a couple in 30s

FYI - OUr set up costs for Brisbane June 2008 for a couple in 30s

Old Jun 18th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

cazw1405 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: FYI - OUr set up costs for Brisbane June 2008 for a couple in 30s

Originally Posted by spartacus
Super A-mart have a website http://www.superamart.com/home/default.asp

Good for getting an idea about prices. They, as do many others, offer new home starter packs; everything for the lounge, dining room, master bedroom all for one total price.

Not my favourite store, very much stack it high and sell it cheap, makes MFI look super sophisticated, but generally good quality and keenly priced.

Thanks very much! Just had a look and for what it would cost to take our suite we can buy a home starter kit! Very pleased now that we dicided not to take it!

Thanks again for the info!

Caz x
Old Jun 18th 2008, 10:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cazw1405
Thanks very much! Just had a look and for what it would cost to take our suite we can buy a home starter kit! Very pleased now that we dicided not to take it!

Thanks again for the info!

Caz x
Glad to help.

Andy
Old Jun 19th 2008, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Great informative post, I am sure it will be very use for a lot of people just starting out.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:34 am
MODL Pommie

sssstew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UK-2-OZ
Great informative post, I am sure it will be very use for a lot of people just starting out.
yep agreed, going out next month so this has helped me get a handle on what things will cost. it seems that much is the same really.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Great post! We're in a similar position so good to see your costs are around what we were thinking too.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

lainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nicelainey70 is just really nice

This is really useful , thanks.
We are hoping (fingers crossed for visa) to go to Brisbane, Not any property here in UK and some savings in the bank, hoping to make a bit more with the exchange rate!
Fantastic furniture looked ok too
I love IKEA
We have looked at the online catoluges too, if you know the post code you might be going to you can find more OZ furniture.

I will be taking my laptop too and some extention leads !
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Great info, thanks for spending the time to write it for us

minibelle
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:57 am
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

No problems guys - I have gotten so much from this website, I thought it only fair to share.

I am really loving being here in Brisbane now. I have just finished my first 3 days at work and am in a great weekend mood.

FYI - traffic is not as bad as I was expecting. So I am used more to London in the UK, but I never really drove in it there so was a bit apprehensive about the reports I have heard about the local traffic here in Brisbane. But, it's not bad. Take me about 20 minutes in good traffic and a little longer in bad - 30 minutes tonight at 6pm on a Friday.

I have already arranged to do a social club event at work (with the husband), and a quiz night with a few girls I work with - people seem really friendly.

More to add re prices. Sushi is cheap here!! I love sushi and you can get 1 roll (about 4 pieces) for $2 usually. Two of those do me for lunch. Drinks from the fast food type places are about $3.50 (so i am learning to bring my own). A normal working lunch costs about $6-$10 from the food courts if you fancy a kebab or chinese etc.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by Wheeler-Jones
Hi guys

I have seen others posting there set up costs, so thought I would contribute ours for any of you looking to get a feeler.

Rental car for 16 days (one way from Cairns to Brisbane) - no extra insurance $480.00

Petrol currently $1.54 a litre or thereabouts (was about 10cents cheaper last week)

Self contained studio apartment in Spring Hill for two weeks $665.00 per week.

Our 3 bedroom townhouse in Morningside/Seven Hills (about 10kms from City on the Southside) - rent $360 per week. Townhouse is really nice - about 10 years old I think and a nice area. We did look at some 2 bedroom units ranging from $280-$340 but they werent as nice.

From Super Amart - furniture store - got a small discount for cash about 5% but most items were on sale.
Queen size bed frame - $240.00
Posture-rest Queen mattress - $420.00 (there were cheaper for about $200, but this was the cheapest nice one that we tried).
Couch set -3 seater, 2 seater and armchair - $600.00 - not the most fancy but it's comfortable and does us fine for a couple of years.
TV unit - $100
Coffee table $120
Bedside tables - $60 each
Matching tallboys - $180.00 each
Comfortable high backed Office chair - $130.00
Office corner desk - $200.00
I have seen cheaper office chairs at Target, Big W, Office works etc. hubby works from home.

From Harvey Norman - we got catalogue items so no discount here
Side by Side 540 L Samsung fridge (I love it) - $1299.00
LG 5.5 kg washing machine - $550.00 and we get $200 back from the government eventually.
Microwave -17 l - $69.00

Delivery was about $40-60 each retailer - this was a little annoying, had to chase both about certain items, but speaking with the manager always seemed to speed things up.

Hubbys Sony Bravia LCD HD TV 40 in - from the Sony store at DFO (outlets) was $1750 and we will get back $150 from a cashback deal.
DVD player $99 from Sony store - all regions all singing all dancing.

Patio set - 3 piece metal and mesh (or something) from Bunnings - $39.00
Energy savings lightbulbs from Bunnings - $20 for 10, or about $8 for a 2 pack.

Our first weekly grocery shop was about $140.00, I will spend about $200.00 once I get a few more bits and pieces tomorrow. This included chicken breast for 3 meals, 2 meals sausages, 3 mince based meals, salad meal, 5 types of spices, some fruit and veges, alot of my basics for the pantry, milk, bread butter, cheese, a few frozens, laundry powder. I believe I will be able to do my weekly shop for $100 or less. I am a little frugal with shopping and will wait for specials if I have to etc, but I must have fruit and will buy some frozen meals for lunches.

I probably spent about $300 on odds such at pots, pans, few bits for the kitchen, airer, brooms and such. Here I got things from Crazy Clarks and the Warehouse, Big W and Target.

I picked up a great sheet set from Towel Man for $20.00!! 220 thread count which isn't too bad (I am not a sheet snob) - they feel nice to sleep on.

Pillows about $15 for two - not the cheapest, but not the pancake ones I hate. Mattress protector for about $20 from Target on sale, Quilt inner was about $50 from Woolworths (and it's rally warm).

Um...

Hubby has gone with Internode for his internet connection - the wireless router was $140 from JB Hi-fi and the monthly charge for our internet will be about $174.00 - this is the MOST expensive thing as hubby works from home and thinks he will need the 100gb downloads it offers on ASDL2+

Basic phone rental is $19 per month, with about .30c for local calls. We will probably still use Skype.

I brought my phone from UK and am using Vodafone maxi cap - this is pay as you go, no contract and its great - $29 gets you one month and $130 worth of calls - lasted me 3 weeks calling agencys, jobs, rentals etc, so well worth it. They have higher options if you need more call credit.

We brought a 1997 Toyota Starlet for $5000.00. It was neat and tidy and low mileage. They had newer models for Kia and Daewoo's etc, but we were in a rush and the 2003 Daewoo Matiz we tried was awful (soft clutch and funny sounding engine) - so we were happy to take the older car which will hopefully be more reliable.

I think thats about it (phew!)

Oh - if I catch the train to work, it will cost me less than $22 a week which I think is good value.

Brisbane is impressing me so far. Very hilly in this area, more so than I would've thought. I have lived in Australia previously for 5 years (with a 6 year absense) and prices have gone up alot in that time, it's now more expensive than New Zealand (which is where I am from) suprisingly.

I love the Southbank - it has an amazing resort like pool and is really nicely done. I didn't even realise they had built one.

Traffic is a bit .... jumbled I guess, but hubby got a sat Nat (Tom Tom large screen for about $350) so we are okay, but the map books UBD go for about $20 and are worth it. I don't think the drivers are any worse than the UK - in fact it's probably me thats causing the problems since I am not always sure where I am going.

People are friendly in stores, don't feel harassed as yet. Worse thing I have noticed is....well Fortitude Valley/Chinatown feels a little rough towards the weekends. Seems to be alot of drunk people fairly early and it's a very small area, but we managed a night out watching the rugby and we were fine!

Eating in chinatown was reasonable too. And Neil loves the food courts in the shopping centres etc.

Well worth a bump!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:39 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
Well worth a bump!!!
Its a year old, so while useful, people need to remember that brisbane is even more expensive now than then.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 10:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Petrol currently $1.54 a litre or thereabouts (was about 10cents cheaper last week)
I didn't see the age of the post when I first read that petrol price...

It sure has come down again..

Comfortable high backed Office chair - $130.00
I was in Office Works last week, looking for a new chair, a $79 one was terrible, the $129 was sort of OK, but... not quite.

I sat on one without a price, and thought, this is nice, fabric, not leather, and thought, oh well, I do sit on it for ages, and just like toilet paper, some things you just have to spend a bit more on.

Well, I bought it, and after 4 days, it is still just as comfortable, why am I surprised ? It cost me $49 !!

Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:26 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Hi all!

Well one year on and I can offer a few recent updates at least!

Just brought a house in Capalaba - 4 bed/ 2 bathrooms, 2 living areas and a above ground pool built in-ground in the nice part Maridale Park with 640sq for $429k. Prices haven't changed much and the mortgage rate is variable at 4.99% - hoping for a few more rate cuts before locking into a fixed (currently have offset and all the stuff with NAB - was happy with them).

Rent in this area for a similar house is about $360-400 week.

Car that we brought one year ago is still running without trouble (touch wood) - haven't spent anything on it, due for a service which will be about $100-150 for a minor. Then the 12 months tax/rego including CTP (compulsory third party) was about $592.

Note that the CTP insurance does not cover third party damage, but if you hit someone (or something like that).

Insurance - third party, fire and theft from AAMI was $145 a year.

Wheil renting our renters insurance for $25000 was $145 a year.

Our home insurance with Allianz is about $380 year.

Just upgraded some of our furniture - ended back at Super Amart as the delivery times were WAY better than some of the other retailers! Got a new corner lounge suite for $2500 - really good and comfy and seats about 6 in black leather. Had it for a month and it's great.

New coffee table, matching tv unit is about $400 and $600 - again cheaper is there, but we were upgrading (but not going crazy).

New bed frame from Ikea was $150 and the latex mattress from there queen size was $750 - really comfy mattress. Got two white chests of drawers for about $250 each - they look like they cost more (as in don't look like Ikea stuff).

OUtdoor setting (again Super A mart) for a large extendable table and 8 chairs was on a great special and only about $1100 i ithink - Kwila Timber - really happy with this also.

I now hold a diploma in building self assembly furniture!

Movies are about $13 ea, but often get cheap movie card for Birch Carroll & Coyle in the junk mail and have one for $6 a movie which is awesome. Then there are cinemas around for $8 which are good too.

Still love it here - traffic is shitty though - and seems to be getting worse but I love the weather mostly. Got out to a winery on Tambourine Mountain the other weekend and slowly discovering the places locals go too!
Old Jun 3rd 2009, 12:48 pm
ABCDiamond

mortgage rate is variable at 4.99% - hoping for a few more rate cuts before locking into a fixed
My guess is that fixed rates will not drop again. Variable rates might, but something tells me that the next fixed rate movement will be up...

Talk with your lender, see what they think...

I think it was the CBA that raised one of their fixed rates a little, not that long ago.

Actually I have just checked the CBA 5 year fixed rate.... I have it showing on my website as 6.39% at March 2009

This PDF sheet from CBA http://www.commbank.com.au/personal/...ate-002842.pdf shows the rate as 6.84% at June 2009.

I had St George listed at 5.94% at April 2009
It is now 6.64%.

Remember, these are Fixed rates.