Default Re: FX £ - $ AUD This week

interesting article here as to why the dollar has plumetted:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-16382,00.html
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

cj321 will become famous soon enoughcj321 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ralphwiggam
Hi, I'm planning to move to OZ in 18 months and have saved £30,000 so far. Would anyone advise me to buy AU$ now when it is low???

I'm not really sure how to do it or what I'm getting in to, I've never delt with buying currency before.......any advice!!

I was in OZ about 4 years ago and had a westpac bank account, but not sure if its still open. Do I have to put the money into an OZ bank account or can I place it into a UK bank account in AU$?

Cheers
I suggest you go here http://www.xe.com/fx/ and read up on Foreign Currency Exchange. Not sure about AUD in UK banks but unless you closed your AU bank account it should be still there. I have no connection to the site I recommend other than being a regular user.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by datamile
ozforex can do auto confirm deal on amounts less than 50K AUD. So do 19K GBP at a time when its really busy to at least get some auto-confirmed
I used them a couple of weeks back but didn't see anything about auto confirm - what is it?

Originally Posted by chilliman
About to put a limit order in - now do I do all my pot of savings & capital from the house or not, that's the question .... Hmmmmmm?

Trader says to split it ... ???
what's the reasoning behind his advice? What sort of lumps (or % if you don't want to mention £) does he recommend? We're in similar situation
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:16 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
I used them a couple of weeks back but didn't see anything about auto confirm - what is it?

what's the reasoning behind his advice? What sort of lumps (or % if you don't want to mention £) does he recommend? We're in similar situation
Auto - Confirm. Login to ozforex , Your details tab , auto confirm link
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

50% on the limit & hold 50% to see how it goes - have got £200k to change!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

50% on the limit & hold 50% to see how it goes - have got £200k to change!!
you said that the margin is better for us if we do a limit order - any idea by what amount? Can't see the reasoning on that really but if that is the case I'll limit order rather than watch myself. Mind you I said that before and bottled out at 2.63 rather than wait for the 2.7. So far pleased with that decision but as I don't need the $$ yet I'll be a bit fed up if it goes well above that later.....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

you said that the margin is better for us if we do a limit order - any idea by what amount? Can't see the reasoning on that really but if that is the case I'll limit order rather than watch myself. Mind you I said that before and bottled out at 2.63 rather than wait for the 2.7. So far pleased with that decision but as I don't need the $$ yet I'll be a bit fed up if it goes well above that later.....
No details it was just a comment! He did say that the margin depends on market volatility!!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

stephen elaine will become famous soon enoughstephen elaine will become famous soon enough

spoke to broker today he tells me if the £ stays strong throughout wednesday 28th the Oz dollar will start to weaken thursday/friday which in theory means change your sterling before the end of the week?If this makes sense ? Hifx brokers are now charging 15% deposit for all transactions as apposed to the original 10% because of the vvolatilecurrency market.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

stephen elaine will become famous soon enoughstephen elaine will become famous soon enough

Opps Sorry volatile currency
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

the greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nicethe greens is just really nice

But am I right in thinking that if you book a 'market order' with say HIFX, the deal is locked in, so if it reaches the agreed rate they automatically buy it on your behalf rather than having to phone to check you still want to go ahead with the transaction?
Old Oct 29th 2008, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the greens
But am I right in thinking that if you book a 'market order' with say HIFX, the deal is locked in, so if it reaches the agreed rate they automatically buy it on your behalf rather than having to phone to check you still want to go ahead with the transaction?
If you mean "limit" order Yup thats my understanding
Old Oct 29th 2008, 9:59 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

If you mean "limit" order Yup thats my understanding
Hi. I'd agree with one of the earlier posters about having a read up on things. It worries me a little when any advice people receive isn't really explained to them. It's obviously your call, but don't feel embarassed to quiz them about their views. It's your money and their job.

You always need to bear in mind that gbp/aud isn't traded as just a pair. It's at least a three way assessment - usd/gbp, usd/aud, gbp/aud (and I'd add yen as well).

The reason the guy mentioned wednesday is that there's a fair bit of uk data and later the US interest rate decision which will be a big one. There's also growing speculation about rate cuts in japan and later in the week you have US GDP and Core PCE (which is the major inflation inflation guage used by the Fed). These are all the sort of data that send trading floors mental, and next week is pretty packed with data too.

http://www.dailyfx.com/calendar/

So the point is it's likely to very volatile. There are a lot of sites with data/news/charts - the one above is just one more example. But have a read through things as it will only make you more informed and able to chat things through with your broker.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

the pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nicethe pursers is just really nice

Originally Posted by ralphwiggam
Hi, I'm planning to move to OZ in 18 months and have saved £30,000 so far. Would anyone advise me to buy AU$ now when it is low???

I'm not really sure how to do it or what I'm getting in to, I've never delt with buying currency before.......any advice!!

I was in OZ about 4 years ago and had a westpac bank account, but not sure if its still open. Do I have to put the money into an OZ bank account or can I place it into a UK bank account in AU$?

Cheers
We got back to Aus after 4 years away and our NAB account was still there so you might be lucky!
Some banks in UK have international bank accounts, it might be worth checking, some may allow you to bank in another currency from the UK. They don't usually offer a very good exchange rate though so you're probably better off researching doing the actual exchange through someone else!
Who knows when it is best to buy $? We waited for a year to exchange the last of ours and have just got $2.53 rather than the $2.13 we would have got a month or two ago. It's always a gamble, but taking a look on the trend charts on Ozforex/similar sites might help. Have a look at the last year or so to get an overall picture.
I'm not a financial adviser of course, but hope this helps you!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Limit order in, not my usual broker & he wasn't convinced I would achieve the rate - $AUD strengthened today. But who knows what will happen next week!??
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

etones is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that the $ is getting stronger very quickly.

Any ideas why? I was expecting it to further weaken based on this thread

TM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.