Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Future for kids in Oz v UK

Future for kids in Oz v UK

Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:30 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future for kids in Oz v UK

Originally Posted by dave99
Would you want your kids talking with an australian accent. Thats the real question you should be asking yourself
Damn right I do - and he does.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 1:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Good idea. There is too much bullshit surrounding bullying. It's hard for a child being bullied to fight back and takes a lot of guts, but if they do, even if they end up losing, at least they can hold their head up high with pride.

Many, including my wife, disagree with my stance on this but I don't care. I will always back my son if he stands up for himself in the face of adversity. I've taught him some 'moves' and we have regular practice sessions to keep him up to speed.
Same here.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Totally agree. Teach them how to fight properly dirty . . . and also, if it's a four onto one sort of scenario try and get stuck into one of 'the followers' rather than 'the leader' as a leader's only a leader when he's got others willing to following him.
If you want to kill a snake you cut off it's head. Take the leader out and the followers will no longer follow. Go for the followers and you'll end up fighting them all.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

fist into the larynx etc.
What are you trying to do, teach kids to kill people? A punch to the larynx is one of the most dangerous techniques you can do. Can cause serious damage (perforated windpipe) if not kill someone (inability to breathe).
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Damn right I do - and he does.
It's a hell of a lot better than a Saffa accent. Right?
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
What are you trying to do, teach kids to kill people? A punch to the larynx is one of the most dangerous techniques you can do. Can cause serious damage (perforated windpipe) if not kill someone (inability to breathe).
It hurts like f**k though - any bully would think twice about a bullying career after receiving one.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
It's a hell of a lot better than a Saffa accent. Right?
He's never had one so it's better than the pommy one he had when we emigrated.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

We've experienced bullying at school. The schools' responses have been (1) ignore the issue, (2) when it happens again and you insist on action, they talk to the victim and the bully/bullies, or (3) talk to the whole class where there have been several victims and several bullies. They do not talk to the parents of either the victim or the bully. I found out about it from my child(ren), who were the victims, so I know about it, but the parents of the bully are not informed, so they don't know that their child is bullying. The behaviour tends to continue, as it is not properly being dealt with.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
We've experienced bullying at school. The schools' responses have been (1) ignore the issue, (2) when it happens again and you insist on action, they talk to the victim and the bully/bullies, or (3) talk to the whole class where there have been several victims and several bullies. They do not talk to the parents of either the victim or the bully. I found out about it from my child(ren), who were the victims, so I know about it, but the parents of the bully are not informed, so they don't know that their child is bullying. The behaviour tends to continue, as it is not properly being dealt with.

When my daughter called one of her classmates names I was told about it. They rang me straight away and asked me to come in to see them. Then they made my daughter tell me what she had done in front of them (she was 7 at the time) - she hasn't done it again.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

The other side of this bullying issue is the over-protective parents who think little Johnnys being bullied just because some kid snatched a crayon off of him.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
When my daughter called one of her classmates names I was told about it. They rang me straight away and asked me to come in to see them. Then they made my daughter tell me what she had done in front of them (she was 7 at the time) - she hasn't done it again.
This is the sort of approach I would prefer. It's a difficult issue, when some schools seem to accept a culture of bullying and don't even try to change, apart from issuing a lip-service school bullying policy.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
The other side of this bullying issue is the over-protective parents who think little Johnnys being bullied just because some kid snatched a crayon off of him.
Yes, there are a few parents around like this. Both my children have been bullied, but only once has one of them been accused of bullying. My youngest, 6 at the time and the smallest and youngest in his year, was accused of bullying another boy, who is the tallest in the class and one of the oldest. This other boy is very, how can I put it, "theatrical", and likes my son (a lot) and kept trying to kiss and cuddle him. My son told the other boy not to do it, but was ignored. Eventually, in desperation, he waved his snack at the other boy, saying "watch out, it's got nuts in it" (the other boy has an allergy problem). It worked like a charm, but the other boy's mum objected and complained to the teacher. I thought my child was creative in dealing with the issue, bless him.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
My daughter was in pre-primary when she called another girl a nerd. She was reprimanded by the Principal and I got an ear blasting from the mother of the other child. She hasn't done it again either.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Absolutely. I am not condoning bullying but some parents seem to want their kids to be wimpy and do not teach them how to deal with tough social situations which they will have to deal with the whole way through school and beyond. Teaching them coping strategies starts at a young age. Obviously there is a huge difference between assault (which the OP is clearly having to deal with) and a bit of name calling. Sticks and stones and all that.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

This was in yesterday's West Australian, but it's about Queensland:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-...llying-expert/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.