Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

further north than adelaide?

further north than adelaide?

Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future
Smile further north than adelaide?

just wondering whats further north than adelaide and its surrounding suburbs. just sat here doing a bit of sunday afternoon fun research on properties and apart from my presumption that the weater maybe slightly warmer why does noone mention going to live in for example peterborough or crystalbrook etc. are they not as built up and smaller quieter towns maybe not as much going on?

ta for hopefully answering my curiosity.

kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 1:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: further north than adelaide?

I don't know either but would like to know the answer!

I know that a lot of SA is uninhabitable desert - maybe these towns are hard to sustain????? I'm just guessing here.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

kjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant futurekjc79 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I don't know either but would like to know the answer!

I know that a lot of SA is uninhabitable desert - maybe these towns are hard to sustain????? I'm just guessing here.
it just seems strange that noone ever (rarely) mentions other areas they are going in SA other than Adelaide and its surrounding suburbs. I wouldnt want to live in the middle of a dessert but when i googled some of the slightly more northern towns they have greenrolling hills and national parks and lots of schools and churches so i cant see them all being that un-habitable, but i know what you mean. when the visa arrives may have to hire a campervan and go north for a while???just to check it out and see if its warmer slightly more of the year?

kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjc79
it just seems strange that noone ever (rarely) mentions other areas they are going in SA other than Adelaide and its surrounding suburbs. I wouldnt want to live in the middle of a dessert but when i googled some of the slightly more northern towns they have greenrolling hills and national parks and lots of schools and churches so i cant see them all being that un-habitable, but i know what you mean. when the visa arrives may have to hire a campervan and go north for a while???just to check it out and see if its warmer slightly more of the year?

kathx
Good idea - we're heading for SA - fingers crossed - so let me know if you find a lovely town with excellent schools, lots of jobs and cheap housing. LOL.
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: further north than adelaide?

Good idea - we're heading for SA - fingers crossed - so let me know if you find a lovely town with excellent schools, lots of jobs and cheap housing. LOL.

if its that fantastic will only let a few know or else all the house prices will increase aswell. have to keep it secret
will let you lot know unless you get there firstthen you can do the mission and we can just arrive at the perfect town
where are you upto with your application? when are you planning on going?

kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:43 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

just wondering whats further north than adelaide and its surrounding suburbs. just sat here doing a bit of sunday afternoon fun research on properties and apart from my presumption that the weater maybe slightly warmer why does noone mention going to live in for example peterborough or crystalbrook etc. are they not as built up and smaller quieter towns maybe not as much going on?

ta for hopefully answering my curiosity.

kathx
Places like peterborough/ crystal Brooke are small towns based around a Farming community so there is not a lot of other work,unless you comute to Pt Pirie.
The other option is start your own business, plumbing/electrician, but these places could be a bit of a culture shock to the uninitated
Wallaroo, kadina, moonta this is a fast growing area and well worth a look ............mm
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mr mover
Places like peterborough/ crystal Brooke are small towns based around a Farming community so there is not a lot of other work,unless you comute to Pt Pirie.
The other option is start your own business, plumbing/electrician, but these places could be a bit of a culture shock to the uninitated
Wallaroo, kadina, moonta this is a fast growing area and well worth a look ............mm
thankyou mr mover, will check these out too.i am a hairdresser so unless i open a salon????OH not got a trade but would love to work in one by apprenticeship if there would be any possibilities?

thanking you
kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:58 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

thankyou mr mover, will check these out too.i am a hairdresser so unless i open a salon????OH not got a trade but would love to work in one by apprenticeship if there would be any possibilities?

thanking you
kathx
Get your hubby, to have a look here might help.
http://www.tafe.sa.edu.au/
..............mm
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

if its that fantastic will only let a few know or else all the house prices will increase aswell. have to keep it secret
will let you lot know unless you get there firstthen you can do the mission and we can just arrive at the perfect town
where are you upto with your application? when are you planning on going?

kathx

Hi Kath,

We're currently waiting for SA Immi to reopen sponsorship applications. Once they do, we'll be applying for a SIR475. Hoping to be in SA by June 08.

I see your visa application is already in. When are you hoping to be out there?

OK if we get there first we'll find the perfect town, set up a business and employ you. If you get there first, you set up the business and employ us. Deal??
Old Sep 30th 2007, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mr mover
Thanks Mr Mover.

I quite fancied One Tree Hill as a compromise between city and country. How do you rate it???
Old Sep 30th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

hi

i was north of adelaide, quite far north, closer to Broken Hill than Adelaide in a place called Yunta population just close to about 80 in the town, then there were the surronding sheep stations.

Apart from a pub, school and two services station there wasnt much there but the people were really friendly and helpful.

I travelled quite often to Jamestown which was about 2 hours away and Caltowie, (even smaller than Yunta with about 20 people)

Jamestown is lovely (IMO) with a small grocers, 4 pubs, hairdressers, estate agents and the hospital. I visited there a few times before and always liked it.

However, Peterbrough is different, seems to me its in decline and Ive spoken to teachers at the local primary school who said much the same. It looks a little run down as the tradespeople moved out when the railway line closed.

However, i would say that you need to travel outside the big city of Adelaide as the surrounding area has a natural beauty of its own. I always loved the sight of Yunta Hill as i drove towards it..especailly at sunset.

regards

lolly
Old Sep 30th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kath,

We're currently waiting for SA Immi to reopen sponsorship applications. Once they do, we'll be applying for a SIR475. Hoping to be in SA by June 08.

OK if we get there first we'll find the perfect town, set up a business and employ you. If you get there first, you set up the business and employ us. Deal??

okay deal.can you cut and colour hair in a commercial time?
LOL
kath x
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lollyno1
hi

i was north of adelaide, quite far north, closer to Broken Hill than Adelaide in a place called Yunta population just close to about 80 in the town, then there were the surronding sheep stations.

Apart from a pub, school and two services station there wasnt much there but the people were really friendly and helpful.

I travelled quite often to Jamestown which was about 2 hours away and Caltowie, (even smaller than Yunta with about 20 people)

Jamestown is lovely (IMO) with a small grocers, 4 pubs, hairdressers, estate agents and the hospital. I visited there a few times before and always liked it.
However, Peterbrough is different, seems to me its in decline and Ive spoken to teachers at the local primary school who said much the same. It looks a little run down as the tradespeople moved out when the railway line closed.

However, i would say that you need to travel outside the big city of Adelaide as the surrounding area has a natural beauty of its own. I always loved the sight of Yunta Hill as i drove towards it..especailly at sunset.

regards

lolly
hello lolly and thankyou for your reply,

you were VERY far north weren't you.(just multimapped it) That kind of place would probably be a more favourable place for the OH but I think I need slight more people.dont want to live within a city itself but I ideally need a place with.......... I dont know really, dont want to be too far out but not in suburbia if that makes sense?(streets and streets of same on same houses) we wont have 'loads' of money to bring with us but hopefully enough.
Hubby wouldnt mind a bit more land so the kids could grow up with quads etc?

kathx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:39 pm
Banned

Thanks Mr Mover.

I quite fancied One Tree Hill as a compromise between city and country. How do you rate it???
Nearly bought a property near there, but found it too hilly[had a semi-trailer truck] One tree hill has a General store /post office and small pub, that has english beers on tap and proper pint glasses, the houses are on large blocks qtr acre and up.
Lot of horse and dog breeders have propertys here as 2-3 acre blocks are still to be had, nice community feel, 40 mins north of the CBD............mm
Old Sep 30th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Fly Away;5371372]Hi Kath,

forgot 2 answer this question sorry,
I would love to be out there feb/march '08 but if thats arealistic timescale is 'how long is a piece of string?' with the delays an' all
sold house and already moved into rented in preparation to just pack up and fly when that happy day comes.....can't chicken out then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.