Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Further impressions of Queensland.

Further impressions of Queensland.

Old Aug 10th 2003, 6:17 pm
Keelie

Default Further impressions of Queensland.

Now that we're back on familiar territory I've had time to gather my thoughts on our brief, adventure-packed time in Oz.
One of the many thing that lingers in my memory is something that might be of interest to you sociologists out there.

I noticed that whenever I hailed a stranger in a mall or on the street or train station to ask directions they always stepped toward me, their body language relaxed and friendly.
This is exactly the opposite experience that I've had in the U.S.A.
where people tend to back away from strangers, and their attitude is leary and suspicious.

On one occasion in Qld.when I couldn't find the car in a mall underground parking lot, an elderly Aussie lady insisted on helping me track it down.
I was impressed at how trusting and caring she was toward this frantic stranger.

Incidently in my previous post I should have mentioned how helpful I found this website.
If not for you I wouldn't have bought some TimTams! They looked and tasted like the old Penquin biscuits of my youth in the U.K. although not so tasty, sorry!
You were right on about the bacon too...it's very strong!

In our short visit we crammed in so much information ...about the tax structure, the medical situation, housing market etc., and in the end decided that there wouldn't be an advantage for us to move to Australia.

As someone said "We travel the world in search of what we need, and return home to find it"
Keelie.

Last edited by Keelie; Aug 10th 2003 at 6:21 pm.