Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

furniture damage

furniture damage

Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:18 am
AJ100

AJ100 is on a distinguished road
Angry furniture damage

well just recieved the furniture and had most of it unpacked but lots of broken and damaged items from sofa to tv and lots of glass
hope the insurance will cover this very dissapointed with a large companyi would also suggest bring over all you can may have something you can then salvage.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 5:46 am
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future
Default Re: furniture damage

We also had some damage to furniture when it arrived. The insurance company paid up no problem, but getting someone out to give a quote was a NIGHTMARE!
Old Nov 26th 2006, 6:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that. We were very fortunate that nothing of ours was broken or missing. Only slight damage to one of my end tables but that was the guys who unpacked going a little too deep with his knife to open the box. He was so apologetic that we just said to forget it. The only person who will see it is me. Hope you can get it sorted with the insurance company. I don't know where you are, but if you're in Adelaide we have some stuff you can borrow until your insurance comes through and you get to buy new.
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJ100
well just recieved the furniture and had most of it unpacked but lots of broken and damaged items from sofa to tv and lots of glass
hope the insurance will cover this very dissapointed with a large companyi would also suggest bring over all you can may have something you can then salvage.
Wasn't Crown, was it?
Old Nov 26th 2006, 9:23 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Name and Shame Please
Old Nov 26th 2006, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

HI

We used Robinsons and they packed out stuff without any respect at all most of our wooden items where damaged and alot of electrical stuff and lamps and pictures. tThis was due to the packers on the UK end being complete loosers and not giving a toss. They packed pictures without wrapping and just put things in boxs without any wrapping similiar with out hoover and tumble dryer. I still havent heard anything back from the insurance company and shall give them a call today.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

JAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond reputeJAYMAC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicola411
HI

We used Robinsons and they packed out stuff without any respect at all most of our wooden items where damaged and alot of electrical stuff and lamps and pictures. tThis was due to the packers on the UK end being complete loosers and not giving a toss. They packed pictures without wrapping and just put things in boxs without any wrapping similiar with out hoover and tumble dryer. I still havent heard anything back from the insurance company and shall give them a call today.

We had the same experience with these guys, although it was booked through John Masons, and even though they didnt wrap some things at all, they kindly packed a whole batch of wrapping paper and an old dirty blanket in one box for us to open in Australia.

Jaymac
Old Nov 27th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
Since some of the goods we will be shipping have some sentimental value that isn't covered by insurence (paintings and things) does anyone know of a reasonably priced company that is consistently renowned for its qulaity of service and ability to get things to you in one piece? Seems more important than choosing the cheapest company. We are hoping to move in about 4 months so are beginning to think about getting quotes..

Cheers

Chris
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

callie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to beholdcallie.rocky is a splendid one to behold

Hey,

we used Atlantic and they were brilliant at packing and pretty much everything got here in one piece, althought they packed my flight bag doh!

Unfortunately, here is a list of everything that is missing...
1 x women's black jacket
2 x pairs of black women's shoes
first edition Harry Potter 1 & 2
5/6 DVD's
War of the Worlds Collector's edition book
Louis Vuitton wallet (female) - was not supposed to be packed
golf jacket and trousers (male), never worn. i think they were Nike or similar.

It seems as if some-one went through and cherry-picked some good stuff, although the shoes were only from next and i think the jacket was Top Shop or something.

The thing is we had insurance but it's been nearly 2 years and they won't pay out because they say they don't know if it went here or in the UK. The company this end won't return calls, etc, etc.

Anyway, ho hum.... Australia rocks - genuinely!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 9:13 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Wol
Wasn't Crown, was it?

Whats up with crown ?
We are going to use them,have you had problems with them?
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there's any shipping companies with a 100% success rate. We used a company recommended by many. After they had my money the 'customer service' went downhill. Three guys showed up to pack, the two downstairs (where I was) were fantastic, the one upstairs (where I wasn't) wasn't. We had a few damages but the main thing was that my entire record collection went missing. Definitely picked up the UK end and made it out of my house but didn't quite make it into the shipment or inventory !!
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:20 am
AJ100

AJ100 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ohippy
I don't think there's any shipping companies with a 100% success rate. We used a company recommended by many. After they had my money the 'customer service' went downhill. Three guys showed up to pack, the two downstairs (where I was) were fantastic, the one upstairs (where I wasn't) wasn't. We had a few damages but the main thing was that my entire record collection went missing. Definitely picked up the UK end and made it out of my house but didn't quite make it into the shipment or inventory !!
we used allied throw it on pickfords not the cheapest and seem to pack the items quite well but when we see the container it looked like they had thrown most of it on as not stacked well at all
hope the insurance company pays up without hassle, also the delivery guy told us it wa ok to throw the glass items away so better not cause a problem
does anyone know how long it takes to get sorted
and do we need to get repair quotes or replacement quotes
thanks andy
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AJ100
we used allied throw it on pickfords not the cheapest and seem to pack the items quite well but when we see the container it looked like they had thrown most of it on as not stacked well at all
hope the insurance company pays up without hassle, also the delivery guy told us it wa ok to throw the glass items away so better not cause a problem
does anyone know how long it takes to get sorted
and do we need to get repair quotes or replacement quotes
thanks andy
I emailed our insurers a list of the items and the damage and approximate replacement costs and it was all agreed a couple of weeks ago no problem. Just waiting for the dosh now.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

mollymoo will become famous soon enoughmollymoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ohippy
I emailed our insurers a list of the items and the damage and approximate replacement costs and it was all agreed a couple of weeks ago no problem. Just waiting for the dosh now.
Hi
I am waiting for the loss adjuster to come out and quote for damage/ loss to several items, including missing feet off the leather sofa that were removed against my wishes. Also, the guys in the UK dismantled my TV stand [a silver type one that we bought wiht the TV- that WASN'T flat packed] and now it has arrived, there are no fixings to be found.....
I am worreid that we will not be covered for this.
There are several other things damaged/ missing aswell.

Hope they sort it out quickly. We are insured with Letton percival........any experiences welcome.
Old Nov 27th 2006, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mollymoo
Hi
I am waiting for the loss adjuster to come out and quote for damage/ loss to several items, including missing feet off the leather sofa that were removed against my wishes. Also, the guys in the UK dismantled my TV stand [a silver type one that we bought wiht the TV- that WASN'T flat packed] and now it has arrived, there are no fixings to be found.....
I am worreid that we will not be covered for this.
There are several other things damaged/ missing aswell.

Hope they sort it out quickly. We are insured with Letton percival........any experiences welcome.
We were with Letton, they do reassure with another company, I can't remember who though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.