Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Furniture 30% dearer in Australia....?....!

Furniture 30% dearer in Australia....?....!

Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Speargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really niceSpeargun is just really nice
Default Furniture 30% dearer in Australia....?....!

Wonder if anyone can offer any advice to someone hoping to migrate on a budget - Ive heard that in Australia that furniture is 30% dearer than in the UK....is it better to buy new bed and new table (as our old ones are in a pretty bad way)and pay the extra in shipping costs or better just to buy out there??
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture 30% dearer in Australia....?....!

Originally Posted by Speargun
Wonder if anyone can offer any advice to someone hoping to migrate on a budget - Ive heard that in Australia that furniture is 30% dearer than in the UK....is it better to buy new bed and new table (as our old ones are in a pretty bad way)and pay the extra in shipping costs or better just to buy out there??

It's the same as anywhere mate, depends where you shop.

I bought a new bed when we first arrived (well I bought new everything ) it cost me $149 for the frame and $899 :scared: for the matress

Since being here a while I have found you can buy beds (base and matress) for anywhere from about $199.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

I bought all my stuff new over here and think it's much cheeper over here.
Tracie
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

As with anywhere in the world you get what you pay for.

In the UK, we spent £7K on a leather 3 pc!!!! Horror perhaps - but this is one of those lasts till you retire type things so for us a good investment. Some wouldn't dream of spending this, others may spend more.

On the whole I have found the furniture here to be of good value and quality - and much cheaper! Also suited more to the way we live here and the style of home. Much of the stuff we had shipped over just looks like play house furniture and too small for the house we're in now.

Good luck.

T
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:17 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

us too, the money we saved in a container gave us a very nice start to refurnishing in a new country...and no time either end without items.

I can honestly say I wasn't stressed at any point during the move from the UK to here (from getting visa letter took us 6 weeks to land)... It's more stressful now after being here 3.5 years organising a move 2 suburbs away with all the things we have accumulated!

The kids loved buying afresh with all the money they got from their old videos/toys that they hadn't played with for years and bought nthings more suited to there age and new lifestyle ie beach/pool/outdoor toys. They brought a few of their favourites.

...it was so cleansing!

You get what you pay for in any country BUT where we slipped up at first was not realising that the price you see on the tag is not what you pay they expect you to haggle and bring it down a few hundred dollars on big items...especially when they know you have a whole house to furnish. Get the best deal they can do and then look like you will walk away.

LJJ
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

furniture is so hard to compare as the quality in both countries vary along with the price. 1 example, we recently bought single divan bed for $550 (myer) - cheapest one on John lewis (for ease to compare) website £275.

You can compare like with like on ikea websites.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzy dog
Hi,

As with anywhere in the world you get what you pay for.

In the UK, we spent £7K on a leather 3 pc!!!! Horror perhaps - but this is one of those lasts till you retire type things so for us a good investment. Some wouldn't dream of spending this, others may spend more.

On the whole I have found the furniture here to be of good value and quality - and much cheaper! Also suited more to the way we live here and the style of home. Much of the stuff we had shipped over just looks like play house furniture and too small for the house we're in now.

Good luck.

T
Too true!

When my kids grow up and leave home I'm going to buy the most expensive settee I can find. Can't wait