Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Furnished let needed in Melbourne

Furnished let needed in Melbourne

Old Mar 8th 2014, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

Clarky_X is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Furnished let needed in Melbourne

Hi. My wife and I are moving to Melbourne on or around 30 July. I have an IT job to go to in the city and my step daughter is an accountant and trying to get a transfer with her current UK employer to their Melbourne office. My step son is also enrolled on a course at the Heidelberg campus of NMIT. So we are a family of 5 adults and a 5 year old boy looking for a large family home to share with 5 bedrooms and 2 living rooms.

We have been looking online for places to rent to see what we can get for our money but don't really know which places to avoid and which places are sought after. We need good train/tram links the city and to Heidelberg so we've been looking around Surrey Hills, Box Hill and Doncaster areas. We will obviously be looking for a more permanent place when we arrive, but our immediate concern is to find a furnished property that we can rent for around 3 months while we wait for our container to arrive and clear quarantine.

Any advice gratefully received.

I've currently been estimating budgeting around $2500/mth.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furnished let needed in Melbourne

I think that is going to be a tough ask. Furnished rentals are uncommon and getting a five bedroom one for $2,500 on a short term let ... I don't know. So I just thought I would present the option most people take, as an alternative for you to consider.

So most people will take some holiday let style of accommodation for weeks rather than months and look for the permanent rental immediately. Then move into the permanent rental without furniture if need be and do the indoor camping thing. We bought air bed, minimal bed and bath linens, cheap basic crockery set and as we needed new outdoor furniture we bought that and used it indoors until the real stuff arrived.

Just something to think about in case you can't find the short term rental.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clarky_X
Hi. My wife and I are moving to Melbourne on or around 30 July. I have an IT job to go to in the city and my step daughter is an accountant and trying to get a transfer with her current UK employer to their Melbourne office. My step son is also enrolled on a course at the Heidelberg campus of NMIT. So we are a family of 5 adults and a 5 year old boy looking for a large family home to share with 5 bedrooms and 2 living rooms.

We have been looking online for places to rent to see what we can get for our money but don't really know which places to avoid and which places are sought after. We need good train/tram links the city and to Heidelberg so we've been looking around Surrey Hills, Box Hill and Doncaster areas. We will obviously be looking for a more permanent place when we arrive, but our immediate concern is to find a furnished property that we can rent for around 3 months while we wait for our container to arrive and clear quarantine.

Your best bet is Greensborough at the price your willing to pay.

All of the places you've stated will be a troublesome and difficult journey to Heidelberg....Plus they'll probably be closer to 4k per month than 2,500.

You may, just may get a place in Greensborough for your price.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 4:56 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

You mean weekly?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
You mean weekly?
Perhaps if it were Surrey Hills yes.... Doncaster and Box Hill more like 1200/1500 per week for a short term furnished 5 bed rental.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks for all the replies. Yes I did mean monthly but wasn't considering it would be much more to rent furnished. We were looking to pay about £2500 for our permanent rent. Perhaps a bit more if need be but as my step daughter hasn't got a job confirmed yet, I don't know exactly how much she can afford to contribute. My wife has found some nice permanent rents unfurnished in some of these locations though so it's mainly local knowledge about what locations are nice and what to avoid.

Regards
Stephen.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the replies. Yes I did mean monthly but wasn't considering it would be much more to rent furnished. We were looking to pay about £2500 for our permanent rent. Perhaps a bit more if need be but as my step daughter hasn't got a job confirmed yet, I don't know exactly how much she can afford to contribute. My wife has found some nice permanent rents unfurnished in some of these locations though so it's mainly local knowledge about what locations are nice and what to avoid.

Regards
Stephen.
It will be a lot more to rent furnished and short term versus long term unfurnished. Also there is a world of difference between $2500 and £2500 so might be worth clarifying which you meant.

As your step daughter is married with a child, I guess there is a chance she is not coming my way if she doesn't have a visa?
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Regards
Stephen.

There is no where you need to avoid on the railway line that serves rmit Heidelberg.

So look anywhere on that line for rentals

See what you can find around Ivanhoe, as it's better than Box Hill or Doncaster.... and maybe consider hiring some furniture,

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 9th 2014 at 10:14 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for last typo. Original post was correct. $2500. Daughters visa almost there. Should hear in next few weeks. Everything else is in place. Would be very surprised if she was refused now.