Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A funny thing happened on the way to the office

A funny thing happened on the way to the office

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:49 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough
Talking A funny thing happened on the way to the office

I thought I would start cycling to work, so there I was minding my own business when I heard...

"Cyclist at 6 o' clock!"

"Dive, dive dive!"

Bastard nesting Magpie dive bombed me and smacked me right in the starboard lughole, as if that wasn't enough it smacked me on the head a couple of more times for good measure.

After all the commotion I had a little laugh to myself, all I could think about was Alfred Hitchcocks 'The Birds'.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:55 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A funny thing happened on the way to the office

I got hit today cycling too from the gym to home. Got hit twice in the helmet by the darn bird.

I seem to recall that its the time of year for nesting or somesuch and they get really protective.

Ah well - could be worse. Could live near over protective crocs :P
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:04 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

lol - they are a nightmare. We were sitting outside this cafe a couple of days ago and the lady that owns it was telling us to watch out because a marauding magpie was divebombing people. As were sat there these two old ladies come out of the cafe, hop on their electric buggies and set off down the hill, only to get set upon by said magpie - they were waving there walking sticks at it. Then this girl comes riding along on her bicycle - cafe owner lady shouts out 'watch out for the magpie' - girl says 'thanks' - she rides round the corner, out of our line of sight, but we see the magpie come diving down like a Stukka and then there's this "OI - **** OFF!" from the girl. Well funny.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:04 am

gedge has disabled reputation

aren't you meant to stick ping pong ball eyes on the back of your helmet or something?
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I see them doing this all the time just over from the pub, it's really funny to watch Glad it's not me though
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by gedge
aren't you meant to stick ping pong ball eyes on the back of your helmet or something?
That was suggested to me this morning.

As well as the birds having a go I'll have motorists pissing themselves.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi

They probably wouldn't even notice
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:42 am

gedge has disabled reputation

damn, you're not as gullible as i'd hoped
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Some guy phoned into the local radio to say it was because at this time of year male magpies willies grow 7 times bigger than normal and they have an overload of testosterone :scared:

I have no idea if he was a wind up merchant or not
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Some guy phoned into the local radio to say it was because at this time of year male magpies willies grow 7 times bigger than normal and they have an overload of testosterone :scared:

I have no idea if he was a wind up merchant or not

My hubby said it's the females making sure you stay away from their nests, which is a more likely answer Although yours is better
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:05 am

**** it, I'm gonna get a nodding dog and stick that on.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:05 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Funny Rossi...I would loved to have seen your face

Wendy! What happened to the "C"
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ransi
Funny Rossi...I would loved to have seen your face

Wendy! What happened to the "C"

Don't know, did the tide go out
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:08 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Don't know, did the tide go out
left at Memorial Beach,no doubt
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ransi
left at Memorial Beach,no doubt

Aye

No, I asked for it to be removed, I'm sick of being called WendyC - my name is Wendy, the C was just there cos someone had pinched my name and they don't even post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.