Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Funny how things get up your shorts eh!

Funny how things get up your shorts eh!

Old Jan 11th 2012, 3:39 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Funny how things get up your shorts eh!

I'm standing with a friend from work earlier. Chattin about life etc and all of a sudden he jumps and goes on about a cockroach has just run up his leg, and aint come out!!! ...

He didn't see it, just felt it apparently. I didn't see anything!

Anyway, he settles and we continue chattin away for a few mins, then he starts jumping again and goin on about how it's still in there! (lower region)

We didn't see anything fall but after another few mins he settled and said it must've gone, and we parted company.

When he pulled his car back, this fella was sitting there pretty much where we was standing....

>

>

>

>

>

Not the biggest and prob only the size of an apple in diameter, but just shows ya.

Cockroach ... pfft! ...
Old Jan 11th 2012, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Funny how things get up your shorts eh!

Right that's it. I'm staying here!!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:00 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

What the mother of fudge is that thing?

The last time I saw something that looked like that it was in a post-apocalyptic video game.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:44 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I'm standing with a friend from work earlier. Chattin about life etc and all of a sudden he jumps and goes on about a cockroach has just run up his leg, and aint come out!!! ...
...and to think on another thread the spider apologists were saying, ooh they're shy, they stay away from you etc!
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:46 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
What the mother of fudge is that thing?

The last time I saw something that looked like that it was in a post-apocalyptic video game.
Have you seen that scene in The Thing when the head falls of the body, sprouts legs and scuttles off. It's one of them.
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:51 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Have you seen that scene in The Thing when the head falls of the body, sprouts legs and scuttles off. It's one of them.
I was afraid of that.

Old Jan 12th 2012, 12:09 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a huntsman to me.

From Wikipedia:
Like practically all spiders apart from the Uloboridae, Sparassidae use venom to immobilise prey and to assist in digestion. They have been known to inflict defensive bites, but are not widely regarded as dangerous to healthy humans. Huntsman spiders are widely considered beneficial because they feed on insect pests such as cockroaches.

There have been reports of members of various genera such as Palystes,[7] Neosparassus (formerly called Olios) and several others, inflicting bites. The effects vary, including local swelling and pain, sometimes with nausea, headache, vomiting, irregular pulse rate, and heart palpitations, indicating some systemic neurological effects, especially when the bites were severe or repeated. However, the formal study of spider bites is fraught with complications, including unpredictable infections, dry bites, shock, and nocebo effects. An investigation into spider bites in Australia, in which Sparassidae figured prominently, did not note any severe or unusual symptoms resulting from confirmed bites from some of the most notorious genera, particularly Neosparassus.

It is not always clear what provokes Sparassidae to bite people, but it is known that female members of this family will aggressively defend their egg sacs and young against perceived threats. The frequency of bites on various body parts suggests that by far the most are accidental or incidental, resulting from inadvertent handling.[2] Bites from Sparassids usually do not require hospital treatment and apparently do not cause necrosis.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

timmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud oftimmerman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Right that's it. I'm staying here!!
Me to !!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:48 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Probably was a cockroach and the hunty was after it........
Probably needs to work on the old personall hygiene.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:16 am
Account Closed

...and to think on another thread the spider apologists were saying, ooh they're shy, they stay away from you etc!
Yeah right! ...

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Looks like a huntsman to me.

From Wikipedia:
Huntsman spiders are widely considered beneficial because they feed on insect pests such as cockroaches.
Yeah we got a couple that run around the house, no bother to us and one of them has even got a name ... George! ...
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:25 am
Account Closed

Yeah we got a couple that run around the house, no bother to us and one of them has even got a name ... George! ...
And almost to cue, here's George. He's gonna share the spa with us.

OH said he's been there since she started running it (5 mins or so)

Bless! ...

(who spots it?)
Old Jan 12th 2012, 9:31 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Bless! ...

(who spots it?)
He's been in a few scraps then!?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:07 am
Account Closed

He's been in a few scraps then!?
Bingo!

Yeah we see him havvin a bit with a 7" cockroach.

He came off best, but did lose an appendage or 2.

Doesn't bother him tho.

I did consider putting him out of his misery, but as I say he's happy as, so we leave him be.

We feed him too. I'll often leave some of the 2" ants you get here out for him. Loves em. Leave em and come back in 30 mins and all gone! ... bones n all! ...
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:16 am
Frequent Flyer Member

We feed him too. I'll often leave some of the 2" ants you get here out for him. Loves em. Leave em and come back in 30 mins and all gone! ... bones n all! ...
I remember once I was in the back of a car on the way to the Sunny Coast and this same ruddy great shiny black ant kept biting me. I'd flick it off and couldn't see it then a couple of minutes later it'd sink it's fangs in again...sore!! Might've made an exception and let George in the car just that once!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:25 am
Account Closed

I remember once I was in the back of a car on the way to the Sunny Coast and this same ruddy great shiny black ant kept biting me. I'd flick it off and couldn't see it then a couple of minutes later it'd sink it's fangs in again...sore!! Might've made an exception and let George in the car just that once!
Yeah ants didn't bite in the UK! ... or I didn't feel it should I say, but thse things drive me mad when out pottering in the garden.

Funny, garden always makes me think of snakes! ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.