Fuel !

Old May 27th 2004, 4:00 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Fuel !

Just had some info from one of our affiliates, and although not new news its refreshing !

In the past month fuel prices throughout Australia have soared, with daily average fuel prices in most areas exceeding $1 a litre at some point. Worldwide, people have experienced record high petrol prices. In the UK prices reached over 80pence per litre, a number of international and domestic airlines have imposed a fuel surcharge on ticket prices because of the continuing rise in oil prices and in the United States, motorists faced with rising fuel prices have been going online in droves to search websites (similar to Australia's MotorMouth) to find the cheapest place to buy petrol.

So, why have fuel prices risen? How long might they remain so high? What we can do to save money on the cost of fuel?

Why are fuel prices so high at the moment?
Essentially our fuel prices are reflecting the sharp rise price of crude oil worldwide. Crude oil prices have reached US$42 a barrel, which is the peak price since 1990 during the Gulf War.

The rising demand for fuel (particularly from the rapidly developing nations, China and India) combined with a fear that oil supplies will not be able to keep up with the overall demand in the future are believed to be the major causes of the sharp increase in crude oil prices. There is also considerable apprehension that escalating violence in the Middle East will disrupt oil production and therefore result in even higher prices.

How long can we expect fuel prices to remain high?
There is huge speculation about how long fuel prices will stay high. Some analysts believe that the price of crude oil will fall back to the US$30 a barrel as unrest in the Middle East subsides. Others consider that oil prices will rise steadily for the next decade, simply because demand will be greater than supply.

In the short term, the general consensus is that Australian motorists can expect fuel prices to remain high. It normally takes two weeks for rises in crude oil prices to affect pump prices, so while crude oil remains above US$40 a barrel, the outlook for fuel prices will not be good for motorists.

The average, lowest and the highest prices for last month in each city were:

City Average Lowest Highest
Adelaide 83.3 75.8 95.7
Brisbane 92.4 85.5 101.7
Melbourne 92.3 86.3 99.9
Perth 93.8 85.9 99.9
Sydney 92.6 85.7 100.9

The price leading service stations for each city last month were:

Brisbane Service Station United
Address orner Hamilton Avenue and Sandgate Road
Suburb Nundah
Average Price for month 78.2
Old May 27th 2004, 4:24 am
ABCDiamond

the cheapest one in sydney from that report, was just around the corner from where i used to live,

Sydney
Service Station - Freedom Fuels
Address - Glossop Street
Suburb - St Marys
Average Price for month - 88.3

i was suprised to see petrol in adelaide being the cheapest

i did notice that they do not survey all stations in the areas.
i paid 84.9c the other day, which is 0.6 cents cheaper than the lowest they recorded for brisbane area.

actually i have just noticed - the lowest prise for brisbane was stated as being 85.5. yet the cheapest brisbane fuel station had an average price of 78.2 for the month.

i'm just wondering if they got adelaide and brisbane the wrong way round on the original email

Old May 27th 2004, 4:28 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
the cheapest one in sydney from that report, was just around the corner from where i used to live,

Sydney
Service Station - Freedom Fuels
Address - Glossop Street
Suburb - St Marys
Average Price for month - 88.3

i was suprised to see petrol in adelaide being the cheapest

i did notice that they do not survey all stations in the areas.
i paid 84.9c the other day, which is 0.6 cents cheaper than the lowest they recorded for brisbane area.

actually i have just noticed - the lowest prise for brisbane was stated as being 85.5. yet the cheapest brisbane fuel station had an average price of 78.2 for the month.

i'm just wondering if they got adelaide and brisbane the wrong way round on the original email

Its worth noting :
average price of 78.2 for the month

Average for the month ... etc etc etc i wont explain the maths
Old May 27th 2004, 4:31 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

That's amazing. Petrol is cheaper in Australia than in California and some other American states. That is unbelievable...
Old May 27th 2004, 4:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Ulujain
That's amazing. Petrol is cheaper in Australia than in California and some other American states. That is unbelievable...

even taking into account exchange rates, or dollar for dollar ??

If so im amazed too
Old May 27th 2004, 4:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Its worth noting :
average price of 78.2 for the month

Average for the month ... etc etc etc i wont explain the maths

Brisbane 92.4 85.5 101.7

this shows that the lowest price was 85.5 in brisbane

yet you said that the Average Price for month was 78.2 at the brisbane station you mentioned.

i think i do need the maths explained today i thought the average was between the lowest and the highest.

it just looks wrong to me.

Old May 27th 2004, 4:40 am
o_0

even taking into account exchange rates, or dollar for dollar ??

If so im amazed too
$2.59 US per gallon. $2.59 is $3.64 Australian

3.78 litres = 1 US Gallon.

That equates to about 98-99 cents a litre.

Most of Australia is cheaper than California and a few other states here.

It's still $1.70 to $1.90 here in Texas though.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Ulujain
It's still $1.70 to $1.90 here in Texas though.
thats 63c-70c australian per litre

not bad

Old May 27th 2004, 4:44 am
o_0

thats 63c-70c australian per litre

not bad
Texas always has cheaper petrol than most of the US.
Old May 27th 2004, 4:46 am
Banned

Brisbane 92.4 85.5 101.7

this shows that the lowest price was 85.5 in brisbane

yet you said that the Average Price for month was 78.2 at the brisbane station you mentioned.

i think i do need the maths explained today i thought the average was between the lowest and the highest.

it just looks wrong to me.

85.5 is the average price in Brisbane for THAT month.

78.2 is the average price for that gas station in THAT month.

Old May 27th 2004, 6:56 am
ABCDiamond

85.5 is the average price in Brisbane for THAT month.

78.2 is the average price for that gas station in THAT month.

it says the average is 92.4, and the lowest is 85.5

anyway, i checked on the motormouth website, and the prices for adelaide are much higher than in the newsletter.

they got the newsletter wrong. the brisbane and adelaide prices were switched in error.

it should be
Brisbane 83.3 75.8 95.7
Adelaide 92.4 85.5 101.7

that will then mean the average at that particular petrol station is within the correct range.

Old May 27th 2004, 7:07 am
Banned

it says the average is 92.4, and the lowest is 85.5

anyway, i checked on the motormouth website, and the prices for adelaide are much higher than in the newsletter.

they got the newsletter wrong. the brisbane and adelaide prices were switched in error.

it should be
Brisbane 83.3 75.8 95.7
Adelaide 92.4 85.5 101.7

that will then mean the average at that particular petrol station is within the correct range.

pure semantics...

cheapest today is shown as 88.9 of the participating fuel stations
Old May 27th 2004, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

I must be old - I can remember when petrol went over £1 to the gallon

The old pumps didn't have enough reels on them to display prices over to 4 figures - so when prices went over 99.9 pence some garages had to recalibrate the pumps to say 51 pence per gallon and then put a sticker on the pump to tell you you had to pay double the amount on the pump.

This caught me out once when i was a poor student when i thought i has put £4 of petrol in my old Morris 1800 and the lady at the checkout asked me for £8 - I gave her all my change and had to leave my watch there untill I paid the balance the next day!
Old May 27th 2004, 7:32 am
Banned

Originally posted by Jimbo9
I must be old - I can remember when petrol went over £1 to the gallon

The old pumps didn't have enough reels on them to display prices over to 4 figures - so when prices went over 99.9 pence some garages had to recalibrate the pumps to say 51 pence per gallon and then put a sticker on the pump to tell you you had to pay double the amount on the pump.

This caught me out once when i was a poor student when i thought i has put £4 of petrol in my old Morris 1800 and the lady at the checkout asked me for £8 - I gave her all my change and had to leave my watch there untill I paid the balance the next day!

pmsl.... i remember going into a garage with my cb radio blaring away as a joyful 17 yr old, all the pumps zeroed and i was chased by a very irate asian man !!!
Old May 27th 2004, 7:38 am
ABCDiamond

pure semantics...

cheapest today is shown as 88.9 of the participating fuel stations
se·man·tics The meaning or the interpretation of a word, sentence, or other language form:

what i am saying is that motormouth.com.au sent out incorrect information, giving brisbane prices but saying they were adelaide, and showing the adelaide prices against brisbane.

they made a mistake. its not an interpretation question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.