Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fruit comparison

Fruit comparison

Old May 18th 2006, 1:30 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fruit comparison

Well as I’m just freshly back from the real Gods country I thought I’d post a quick comment about the price of Bananas and Grapes in the respective countries while it was still fresh in my head. Firstly Banana’s 64p a kilo in Tesco and the locals tell me $10 per Kilo now so I went to wollies to check and guess what? They have no Banana’s! A quick ask around revealed that noone was paying the $10 per kilo so they pulled them from the shelves!! I’m all for helping the farmers seeing as I am now one but as farmers still get the same per kilo as pre cyclone I am left wondering how this petty minded place thinks charging $10 is going to help anyone.

Grapes currently $6 per kilo compared to the quid back home! Now they grow shed loads of them here so what’s the excuse for this one?

Never mind as it will all be academic for me soon I hope but bearing in mind I did a Tesco shop on day one in the UK of my holiday I was struck by a few things. Firstly the food in the UK is much much cheaper, The fruit and veg is of a better look and quality, the choice was 4 to 6 times better in the number of lines stocked for the rough same amount of space and achieved by constant shelf stock take and restocking. Every type of food and item had just so much more choice, Baby food was just so much better as was the choice of crisps. I could go on but will leave it there.

Oh and I never once got short changed or had my bags checked! Civilisation? Yes please…
Old May 18th 2006, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fruit comparison

Originally Posted by arkon
Well as I’m just freshly back from the real Gods country I thought I’d post a quick comment about the price of Bananas and Grapes in the respective countries while it was still fresh in my head. Firstly Banana’s 64p a kilo in Tesco and the locals tell me $10 per Kilo now so I went to wollies to check and guess what? They have no Banana’s! A quick ask around revealed that noone was paying the $10 per kilo so they pulled them from the shelves!! I’m all for helping the farmers seeing as I am now one but as farmers still get the same per kilo as pre cyclone I am left wondering how this petty minded place thinks charging $10 is going to help anyone.

Grapes currently $6 per kilo compared to the quid back home! Now they grow shed loads of them here so what’s the excuse for this one?

Never mind as it will all be academic for me soon I hope but bearing in mind I did a Tesco shop on day one in the UK of my holiday I was struck by a few things. Firstly the food in the UK is much much cheaper, The fruit and veg is of a better look and quality, the choice was 4 to 6 times better in the number of lines stocked for the rough same amount of space and achieved by constant shelf stock take and restocking. Every type of food and item had just so much more choice, Baby food was just so much better as was the choice of crisps. I could go on but will leave it there.

Oh and I never once got short changed or had my bags checked! Civilisation? Yes please…
An informative and valuable post arkon.

Thanx mate
Old May 18th 2006, 1:42 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm staying here now.......No, I'm going.....hang on....staying....nah.....go....stayi.....goingstay ing....st.....go.....err...oh f**k it....
Old May 18th 2006, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Arkon, looks like you had a good holiday, good to have you back
Old May 18th 2006, 1:50 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

My main gripe with the fruit and veg in my area is the lack of organic food. I had a great choice of organics in England and I miss it dreadfully. Having said that, our local Woolies is just starting to stock organics so that's progress at least.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:54 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I'm staying here now.......No, I'm going.....hang on....staying....nah.....go....stayi.....goingstay ing....st.....go.....err...oh f**k it....
If your not here yet all I would say is just ask yourself without prejudice exactly why you want to give up your life in the UK and come here at all. I just wish I had come on a big 6 month holiday first then things might have been different. We have come to realise that most of the reasons we had to move here were in reality all groundless. The biggest pull for us at the time was the idea of a more laid back lifestyle, unfortunately this very thing that we found so appealing turns out to be the biggest negative here for us, all just so frustrating if you are on the receiving end of the laid back attitude, to which read more a don’t give a shit attitude.

Also we now realise we could have made for ourselves a more laid back lifestyle in the UK, there was nothing to stop us getting off the rat race a bit, we didn’t have to have the fancy cars and fancy house and no one actually made us work our nuts off, it was all self inflicted and Oz just replaced a set of unreal problems with some very big real ones instead. Oh for the benefit of hindsight….
Old May 18th 2006, 1:56 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
My main gripe with the fruit and veg in my area is the lack of organic food. I had a great choice of organics in England and I miss it dreadfully. Having said that, our local Woolies is just starting to stock organics so that's progress at least.
Yep I know what you mean about organics but in Australias defence this time, they have just so many pests and funguses that I'd be amazed if it was possible to grow something without spraying it to defend it against some little blighter.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly the food in the UK is much much cheaper, The fruit and veg is of a better look and quality, the choice was 4 to 6 times better in the number of lines stocked for the rough same amount of space and achieved by constant shelf stock take and restocking. Every type of food and item had just so much more choice, Baby food was just so much better as was the choice of crisps. I could go on but will leave it there.

I am sooo envious - the crisps thing really gets to me; I devour crisps the way that some women devour chocolate and I just can't get excited about the crisps here - give me good old UK choice, please!
Short changing, bag checking, amount of stock on the shelves, all the same gripes......wish I could persuade the Bloke that you have the right idea about moving
Old May 18th 2006, 2:03 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I am sooo envious - the crisps thing really gets to me; I devour crisps the way that some women devour chocolate and I just can't get excited about the crisps here - give me good old UK choice, please!
Short changing, bag checking, amount of stock on the shelves, all the same gripes......wish I could persuade the Bloke that you have the right idea about moving
Well have a good hard look at your bloke and ask is he really worth it and if the answers no then jump on the plane with me. Seriously I think if the missus wanted to stay and I wanted to go based on how I feel about the 2 countries there would probably be no contest. Sorry Arkoness, it just ain't worth the open prison sentence.
Old May 18th 2006, 2:05 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 18th 2006, 2:06 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I'm a crisp addict and a choc addict too and the Walkers sensation crisps are just so much better than the bland tat you get here. Oh and don't mention Pringles, I had a shock when I saw at least 4 flavours you don't get here and they wern't there 18 months ago I'm sure.

Hmmmm. Sensations Thai sweet chilli flavour............F(((K were's my credit card and what was that travel companies name....Oh and just where did I put that can of petrol and box of matches....
Old May 18th 2006, 2:08 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Hutch
A man of few words I see. My lucky day.
Old May 18th 2006, 2:13 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Sorchar
Hi Arkon, looks like you had a good holiday, good to have you back
Yep bloody great, the holiday that is, not to be back tho! The weather was mostly lousy, the traffic congested, and the media trying to sack the government so nothing new. Oh and 2 jags is now called 2 shags, All I can say is she must have left the blind dog at home.

Blistering holiday unfortunately the choice and quality of cereals and take aways meant I gained a stone in weight! Hmmm Kelogs chocolate crunchie nut clusters…………
Old May 18th 2006, 4:50 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I know you had no intention...but on the other side of the fence this had me wetting myself laughing. Yadda Yadda.....Aus is wonderful..snot!

I can have it as wallpaper and still giggle ...yes please!

Last edited by Sandra; May 18th 2006 at 4:52 pm.
Old May 18th 2006, 5:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Fruit comparison

Well, that's it, you've convinced me to remain in the UK for ever and ever, amen.

Heck, I might even do it just to annoy you, since I am now a British citizen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.