Frozen Pensions

Old Mar 19th 2008, 3:06 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Frozen Pensions

Originally Posted by Georgina H
Have added mine too!

I was paying into a public/government pension in the UK and its looking like I may have to give up the ghost on transferring it as I was told by my employer that the inland revenue was particular about to which pension companies in oz that they would transfer to. I was only paying in for 4 and a half years but still - its my money, I earned it as a tax paying British resident.
Hi Georgina,

As far as I am aware you cannot transfer a state pension, only private pensions can be transfered and then only to special approved funds (calls QPRS is think).

Gilian
Old Mar 19th 2008, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

TinaB is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Frozen Pensions

Georgine,
I was in a similar situation when I first came to Australia. I decided it probably wasn't worth it anyway because I would lose about 20% of it in the process to the UK fund. You should be able to claim it here though, at retirement. I am claiming my teachers' pension and this should be sent, indexed, as long as the pension fund receives form IPC SU 1131 from the International Pension Centre - you have to request this. The "British Pensions in Australia" organisation are very helpful. Worth contacting them.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Well I would like to add my tuppence worth. I was born in UK but lived in Australia for 32 years of working life. On leaving Australia to return to UK I was told by Centrelink (Australia) that England would pay my Old Age Pension because Australia paid OLP to all retirees moving to Australia from UK. However on enquiring about this in UK I was firmly told I could not expect to get any Old Age Pension from UK government as I required 44 years UK stamps. On asking how I could possibly have them when I lived for most of my life in Australia they just reiterated they would not give me a British pension.
I think the UK's attitude stinks. Many years before my Mother came to live with me in Australia. (Because my Father only paid into the Pension scheme for 6 years from 1948 when it was introduced until 1954) she only received a small partial British age pension, yet the Australian Government made up the difference so she received the full Australian Pension. Later she returned to the UK & she continued to receive her Australian after moving back for a further 2 years To her dying day she never stopped singing the praises of the Australian people. She was very bitter in how she had been treated by the Uk government in spite of living in the UK for almost 60 years she said the foreigners who arrived in England were treated better than her.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Craig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura aboutCraig822 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Aucklander
I think the UK's attitude stinks. Many years before my Mother came to live with me in Australia. (Because my Father only paid into the Pension scheme for 6 years from 1948 when it was introduced until 1954) she only received a small partial British age pension, yet the Australian Government made up the difference so she received the full Australian Pension. Later she returned to the UK & she continued to receive her Australian after moving back for a further 2 years To her dying day she never stopped singing the praises of the Australian people. She was very bitter in how she had been treated by the Uk government in spite of living in the UK for almost 60 years she said the foreigners who arrived in England were treated better than her.
mmm sounds like a good reason to leave the place if you ask me
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

donovandenese will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
There is no fundamental difference between income tax and "social security contribution."
Income tax is variable depending how much you earn. National insurance contributions are not. Even those who earn below the tax free thresholds have to pay national insurance contributions.
Everyone who has paid NI contributions throughout their life should get the full indexed state pension - irrespective of where they reside.
NI also covers free health care, winter fuel allowances etc - a retiree living in oz for example therefore already loses out on the free healthcare entitlement, winter fuel allowances etc - saving the government money - so why should they lose out again by not having their pensions indexed?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Aucklander;6102815]Well I would like to add my tuppence worth. I was born in UK but lived in Australia for 32 years of working life. On leaving Australia to return to UK I was told by Centrelink (Australia) that England would pay my Old Age Pension because Australia paid OLP to all retirees moving to Australia from UK. However on enquiring about this in UK I was firmly told I could not expect to get any Old Age Pension from UK government as I required 44 years UK stamps. On asking how I could possibly have them when I lived for most of my life in Australia they just reiterated they would not give me a British pension.
QUOTE]

you can get part of a UK state pension if you have worked in the UK for 10 years.
Not sure why you would think that the UK would pay you a pension if you hadn't worked in the UK - Australia doesn't pay UK citizens a state pension - it is paid by the UK government direct to the Australian bank accounts of UK citizens who have emigrated. The amount paid is the unindexed figure at the date the person leaves the UK. In the past the two governmnets had an agreement to top up each others pensions to an indexed amount. This no longer happens - hence the petition.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

rushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to allrushmere is a name known to all

[QUOTE=donovandenese;6104967]
Originally Posted by Aucklander
. The amount paid is the unindexed figure at the date the person leaves the UK. In the past the two governmnets had an agreement to top up each others pensions to an indexed amount. This no longer happens - hence the petition.
I'm a bit confused by this. Is it unindexed from the date you leave the UK, or from the date at which you draw your pension?

I've got about 20 years to retirement - if it's frozen now, that's a very big difference to it being frozen at the point when I reach 65!

Edit: After digging around a bit on the internet, I think I can now answer my own question! The earlier posting by "TheCrone" was correct - pensions are not frozen at the point of leaving the UK, but they are frozen at the point when you first draw your pension. For example, if you start drawing your UK pension in Australia in 2020, you will get the pension at the 2020 rate (if you have made sufficient NI contributions) , but it will not be index linked from that point onwards. The wording of the petition is therefore not technically correct, but nevertheless I fully support the principle that pensions should be fully index linked.

Last edited by rushmere; Mar 24th 2008 at 6:33 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes - you are right - my comment (and the wording of the petition I think) was absed on the scenario of someone who is already drawing the pension when they emigrate
Old Mar 24th 2008, 11:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donovandenese
Income tax is variable depending how much you earn. National insurance contributions are not.
I think if you check, you will see that NI is largely income related.

NI also covers free health care, winter fuel allowances etc - a retiree living in oz for example therefore already loses out on the free healthcare entitlement, winter fuel allowances etc - saving the government money - so why should they lose out again by not having their pensions indexed?
NI does not cover the NHS or social support costs.
Old Mar 25th 2008, 2:45 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default Re: Frozen Pensions and visits

Just a note incase some of you were not aware:

If you visit the UK or any other country where UK state pensions are not frozen you can receive the full amount for the period of your visit.

You notify the Overseas National Insurance office in Newcastle - the name is different now, the date of departure from OZ and date of return with flight details etc. You will have your pension increased to the current rate for that period.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:41 am
The Brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2gill

If you visit the UK or any other country where UK state pensions are not frozen you can receive the full amount for the period of your visit.

You notify the Overseas National Insurance office in Newcastle - the name is different now, the date of departure from OZ and date of return with flight details etc. You will have your pension increased to the current rate for that period.

Originally Posted by Wol
Or, I believe, you visit any of the places where indexing IS allowed - the USA, Philippines, Poland etc.

The inmates are running the asylum <g>
Isn't that what I said!

Last edited by ray2gill; Mar 26th 2008 at 9:42 am. Reason: adding original text
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Isn't that what I said!
Yes it is - and I didn't read it properly!

Message deleted <g>
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:05 am
Just Joined

BWelford will become famous soon enough

BTW The petition mentioned in this topic has just topped the 1,000 signature mark, having seen a doubling in numbers within 48 hours. There is another Canadian petition on the same theme that has now over 780 signatures. If you haven't signed both, perhaps that's something you may wish to do.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice

Hi, I've just been on to sign up too. I've noticed a lot of people have signed up 'as a couple' in other words, there are two names against the petition. Am I right in thinking that it will only count as one 'vote' as it's only entered once? Shouldn't peopled enter these individually? There's an awful lot there with two names against, maybe 20% - could have a big impact on numbers, or am I completely off the ball on this one?

I've sent onto my contacts to sign/and asked them to send on too - we get plenty 'joke' chain emails that go around to hundreds of people, we should get a worthwhile one like this going around instead....

Karen
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:35 am
Just Joined

BWelford will become famous soon enough

Way to go, Karen. You're right. If two names are on a single entry, then it only counts as one 'signature' or vote. If both people have e-mail addresses, then they should each vote using their own e-mail addresses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.