Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Friends in the uk

Friends in the uk

Old May 1st 2004, 11:25 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Friends in the uk

How do you all keep up the friendships with your uk mates once emigrated, would love to know how other peeps do it.
I have already managed to p**s one of my mates off cos I just couldnt get the time to ring her in between all the settling in and starting my new job and stuff. I am feeling really guilty at the moment for not calling folks but what with the time difference and been completely exhausted at the end of the day I just havent been able to do it.
Old May 1st 2004, 11:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friends in the uk

Don't have any so not a problem for me
All mine are on a certain forum

Seriously though I think it's inevitable you will grow apart from most of them.
The true mates will understand how busy you have been anyway.
Old May 1st 2004, 12:03 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Actually, this is a bit of a sore point for me at the mo because I sent all our lot a sort of update newsletter a couple of days ago and haven't had a single email back - miserable gits.

It is bound to be difficult because we are living a different life to the one they knew now and in a different country that most if not all of them have never visited so the common ground thing won't be so easy.

I expect to 'lose' a fair few of our 'friends'. The ones we keep in contact with will be the ones who we will come to know as our real 'friends'.

I think the antedote is to try and make as many friends here as we can and then the loss won't be mourned as much.

And Sky, if your mate can't understand how hectic etc things have been for you and so the reason for you not calling then s/he isn't a real mate, so don't worry about pissing her/him off.
Old May 1st 2004, 1:04 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yep think you are right pollster and that is what I had kind of thought myself. Already had a new work mate ring me tonight for a chat and to swap gossip so the network is already starting to happen here thank goodness
Old May 1st 2004, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

creed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sky,

I don't normally like to rubbish other peoples opinion ... but i think the reply's so far are misleading

firstly ... you say your too busy too get in touch with your friends ... put yourself in their position... how would you feel if your good friend had left and not been in touch ... i'm not being critical, I did the same, but there is always time for frineds if you make it ... probably you were too tired to be bothered. It's an easy pitfall

The reply who said about e-mailing home and getting no reply is so true ... it is very hurtful ... but i've realised that while our life (for doing this) is very exciting and new, all our friends at home are living the same life as usual, it's unsurprising that they don't respond immediatley... i know that they enjoy to hear your news but don't respond because their emotions arn't as highly strung as yours will be right now ... for them you will always be there and there is lots of time to reply ... for us however, we've made a big, somewhat drastic emotional change and want all our friends to be there for us ... but remember all your friends are probably jealous of what you are doing right now

i went home after over a year of being away and all my friends (even the ones who never replyed in any meaningful way to my e-mails) said they loved hearing my news and it was if nothing had changed.

A friend will understand your situation even if time to time they will be annoyed with you.

To think that you have too move on is rubbish, you will meet new friends and have a great time with them, but never forget your old friends ... they will be part of you
Old May 1st 2004, 2:52 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

i find that the people who keep in touch are the ones that i least expected to..when i was still in the uk that is....

via phone is a different matter....i think that a phone call to oz is considered expensive to some...

my hubby's brother has never called us..his wife has phoned once..thats in 7 months+...one of his sisters has never called either and his other has called twice!!!!.mind you we didnt live in eachothers pockets when in the uk and we lived in the same village.i find it a bit hurtful that they dont call us esp as his sisters dont have access to email...but my hubby says that no news is good news and he would only call them if he had anything to tell em!!!!
maybe they think the same...

my mum used to write letters each week but she is the only person who does/has.my daughter has written to her 'best' friend in the uk 3 times and she hasnt ever replied by letter or phone...

i find that a bit sad..but life moves on with or without us. ....and hey we chose to come didnt we....but its a shame for the kids....having said that ...she has lots of new friends here and is very happy!....and so are my other kids!!!
Old May 1st 2004, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Friends in the uk

Originally posted by Bix
Don't have any so not a problem for me
All mine are on a certain forum

Seriously though I think it's inevitable you will grow apart from most of them.
The true mates will understand how busy you have been anyway.

ditto

arlene