Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

friends on holiday what do you say?

friends on holiday what do you say?

Old Mar 21st 2005, 11:50 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default friends on holiday what do you say?

We had friends over last November, they only stopped off in Perth and had a hotel etc sorted. They want to come back though and stay with us we thought just the 2, fine no problems, but its not just the 2 but his brother in law and wife as well and they want to stay with us.
My problem being we don't have space for 4 adults and I have offered to find furnished accomodation for them all but they have suggested a tent in the garden! What the hell can I do?
They want to book flights very soon and I have this awful feeling they will arriving sleeping bags in hand wanting a free holiday accomodation no matter what.

Jenny
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:06 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice
Default Re: friends on holiday what do you say?

Originally Posted by jensteve
We had friends over last November, they only stopped off in Perth and had a hotel etc sorted. They want to come back though and stay with us we thought just the 2, fine no problems, but its not just the 2 but his brother in law and wife as well and they want to stay with us.
My problem being we don't have space for 4 adults and I have offered to find furnished accomodation for them all but they have suggested a tent in the garden! What the hell can I do?
They want to book flights very soon and I have this awful feeling they will arriving sleeping bags in hand wanting a free holiday accomodation no matter what.

Jenny
\

Ah, tricky one! Would you be able to offer them may be their first nights accomodation and then put it to them that if they wanted to camp, there was this really good campsite called XXX just down the road, and it would be great if they could stay there, but all meet up for barbies/drinks/at the beach??

I had a friend stay with us once, at the time we had no spare room, and after 3 nights sleeping on our (brand new) couch, I had to as nicely as possible tell her I would drop her off elsewhere. I felt awful, but with 4 adults and a little girl in the house already there just wasn't the room... especially as she used to hog the bathroom I did still meet up with her though, took her up to Australia Zoo for the day, met her after work etc etc. About two days after I'd 'kicked her out' she bumped into an old school friend and travelled up the coast with her... worked out fine in the end anyway
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Clearly you need to move to a more suitable house. This won't be the last time this happens in our experience!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

mamichelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RichS
Clearly you need to move to a more suitable house. This won't be the last time this happens in our experience!
The trick is to have a studio apartment like us - "Great that you're coming over. We'll book you into the place down the road...."
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how much you want to see them, elderly parents spent 2 years pension on the airfare, plane trip nearly killed them, give up your bedroom.

Old friends who turn out to have a little alcohol problem smoke in your non smoking house, declare they are happy to sit by the pool then confess boredom on day 2 give them the tent on day 1.

Weve had all sorts stay including last december a guest who could not stand australias casual look, insisted on going to a very casual restaurant in flamenco style, leopard skin dress split to crotch and nearly got into a punch up with aussies staring and taking the piss. Then tried to gatecrash a neighbours wedding after finding the nightlife a little sedate here

After that we got quite selective who we let in
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 1:02 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Jenny
Just be firm about it , but polite. Say look sorry I do not mind you two coming, I'd love to have you, but I can't put up your Brother in law and wife. A tent in the garden is not an option - for one it is illegal to live in a tent in a suburb community ( no running water, and plumbed toilet) - lie !!!! . The other thing I do not know them, and it would create extra work for myself irregardless of living in a tent or not - you still need showers, toilets, food etc etc

If you don't want them staying with you - say so, don't let yourself be manipulated because of your good will.

My mum in law wants to come over for a holiday, guess what she has invited her sister ( who my hubby is not really close to)and her Iraqi husband that I do not know, but from family talk he is a right Pervert ( I won't go into it) and a cheap skate . She invited them without asking me or my hubby. I turned around to hubby and said look you'd better tell her or I will ( mum-in-law) that they are not welcome - I don't know them, it's not a free for all. This is our home not hers, she should have not invited them without asking first. Hubby just told her straight that she is welcome, bring her husband , hubbies bro , bro's wife etc etc - but not any Tom dick and Harry like she wanted to do - and without asking us first !!! - ooh there's my mum-in-law for you, never thinks to ask first.

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 22nd 2005 at 1:05 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 2:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My 21 year old cousin was enwuiring about free accomodation the other week. I asked how his nappy changing was and he started asking about hostels.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm doing the same in reverse, In two months, With my trip to England, and wales. I'm getting the guilts now lol. However it's just my Wife and two kids and I. My problem is, the only place that has two spare bedrooms is my parents place in North Wales. I don't exactly fancy spending the bulk of my time up there. I guess I will have to grin and bear it though. I've got about 4 places to stay at, with my brother, sister and cousins etc scattered about the place. They all only have one bedroom spare though.

Could anyway suggest what would be a fair payment, for my family letting me stay at their resective abodes, Of course I will be shouting them restaurant meals, and doing some supermarket shopping, but I think extra payment should be made, trouble is I dont know how much. What would be considered fair ?

Back to the original posters question. If you are just a couple with no kids, Maybe you and your wife could take time out and stay at a freinds place. and make sure that next time, you only take two people or what you can comfortably handle on board ? I only suggest that, because I/we could probably do that easily.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:41 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Could anyway suggest what would be a fair payment, for my family letting me stay at their resective abodes, Of course I will be shouting them restaurant meals, and doing some supermarket shopping, but I think extra payment should be made, trouble is I dont know how much. What would be considered fair ?

If family were coming to stay with me, I would be more than happy with a restaurant meal and perhaps a hand with the groceries if there was a lot of eating at home. I doubt they would be watching a tv that wouldn't already be on, or getting dropped off somewhere that was far from home/on my way already so payment IMO would mean I would be making money out of them, which would be the last thing I would want.

If I were you, I'd go with a gift for everyone, pay for a couple of meals and make sure there's milk in the fridge Guess you know your family better than I, do you think they'd really expect payment??
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Assuming you won’t just tell them to bugger off, my granddad had a great trick. He get up to go out and say: “well, I’ll say goodbye now, because I’m popping over the road for five minutes and you’ll definitely be gone by the time I get back.”. It worked every time!
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 5:34 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Jenny

I say tell them to book into a hotel, where they can have their own space, they can come & go as they please and no one feels obliged to do anything other than what they are use to.

If you also dont know the brother in law he may have gutrot and totally stink your bathroom out!! :scared:

LP
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:35 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Jenny
Email them telling them you are goin to England next week and would like to stay at there house and you are bringing another couple of friends with you.
See what they have to say about that, it might just let them know that it is not always possible

Kala
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JayDeee
Email them telling them you are goin to England next week and would like to stay at there house and you are bringing another couple of friends with you.
See what they have to say about that, it might just let them know that it is not always possible

Kala

Or... You Could say, great, I run Amway meetings from home now, and you people could push me over to being my 50 clients and new international leg. I'm sure you will love all the new people you are going to meet, as I have meetings 5 nights a week
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:25 am
Keeping an eye out !

Wickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to allWickedsid is a name known to all

Jenny

I am panicking now, as to ease our guilt over leaving we have said to everyone " well you can have free holidays with us, you only have to find your air fares"
YIKES !!!!!!

Didn't really think that through did we

Hope you sort it all out, it's a worry !

Carole
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:19 am
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wickedsid
Jenny

I am panicking now, as to ease our guilt over leaving we have said to everyone " well you can have free holidays with us, you only have to find your air fares"
YIKES !!!!!!

Didn't really think that through did we

Hope you sort it all out, it's a worry !

Carole

Me too, but the difference for me is I said to people - if you do come over, then you'll just have to accept that we will be working most of the time - so you get a set of keys to our place whilst you're in Melbourne and you won't see us during the day. But we'll spend as much time as wanted / needed with you in the evenings and at weekends.

Really, I'm expecting to see family and hoping to see friends. But am fully aware that in about 10 years time that creepy bloke I once said hi to at the office coffee machine will turn up on my doorstep complete with 4 wives and 20 kids expecting a place to crash for a 'couple of months'.

It's all part of the joy though - still can't wait to get on the plane and get down there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.