Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Wikiposts

Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
And finally, one that particularly stuck in my throat for quite a while ( from boss ): " god, you are so selfish, your poor kids will never know their grandparents and you are taking all their choices in life away from them. You obviously don't have a very good relationship with your mum and dad otherwise you'd never even consider leaving them "

what a cow!

Well B******s to her, fingers crossed, aussie here we come!

Leigh.

I can't believe your boss said such nasty comments! What a cow- it wreeks of jealousy to me. If I were you I would be calculating a little plan to p**s her off as much as possible before you leave... [/QUOTE]

Hi Tina, yeah my boss is a real nasty sort, it's almost worth emigrating just to get away from her!! i will probably end up telling her a thing or two about her attitude before I leave, altough as posted previously, I don't think it's really a good idea to burn my bridges. Having said that, it will be worth it just for the look on her sad little face. Can't some people just be absolutely nasty? Nevermind.

Best wishes, leigh.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

And finally, one that particularly stuck in my throat for quite a while ( from boss ): " god, you are so selfish, your poor kids will never know their grandparents and you are taking all their choices in life away from them. You obviously don't have a very good relationship with your mum and dad otherwise you'd never even consider leaving them "

what a cow!

Well B******s to her, fingers crossed, aussie here we come!

Leigh.

I can't believe your boss said such nasty comments! What a cow- it wreeks of jealousy to me. If I were you I would be calculating a little plan to p**s her off as much as possible before you leave... [/QUOTE]

That's really horrible!!!! I had a similar comment from my mother-in-laws best friend, who seems to be oblivious of the fact that I knew my husband for 7 years before we even met her!!! (Complicated situation, but not our doing...) Some people just don't have manners I suppose - rise above it - she's not worth it.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: never posted before

Originally posted by teresa31
hello my name is teresa and i have never posted on one of these things before but as my family are wanting to emigrate in the next 5 to 7 years (how laid back am i ) and i have read many useful and not so postings i just had to do this and see if anyone is really going to reply and then knowing me i will be hooked .oh by the way we are looking at perth as a destination
Watch out and read the threads about expat addiction - I for one have started drinking loads of beer - could be due to subliminal stuff from that emoticon down there....

you want beer.... go on......
Larissa
Old Sep 14th 2003, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Redlichtie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - I've never been on here before so I don't know if I'm doing this right.

We too are going back........we don't feel like failures but it does take a lot of money and guts to go back. It's been an experience of a life time.......and we're going to enjoy this summer before returning in 2004.
Old Sep 14th 2003, 8:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Redlichtie
Hi there - I've never been on here before so I don't know if I'm doing this right.

We too are going back........we don't feel like failures but it does take a lot of money and guts to go back. It's been an experience of a life time.......and we're going to enjoy this summer before returning in 2004.
Hi where are you going to and returning from? Be interested to know why, if its not too nosey
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Two people that I have told this week have snapped back at me through clenched teeth -'You lucky bit*h!'

The thing is these people have the qualifications and money to do it themselves, so if they want to that much why don't they?!

I suppose most people don't have as much guts to actually do it as we all have. Too much to lose etc.

Every night that goes by now I am going to think 'I am a lucky bi**ch'.

As we are already "ex-pats" in Florida our friends and his family (I have no family over here) are generally up beat and generous with their "you go for it" attitudes. I guess as they (and we) have already made a major lifestyle change in coming here in the first place another move is just that, another move. However, folks weren't so kind when we left the UK especially at work where some of the guys had bets on how long we would last, 2 weeks, a month, 2 months etc. I was a bit upset when I found out and felt like they wanted us to fail - perhaps to make themselves feel better but we had the last laugh as we have been in the USA for over 8 years! I expect they are all still doing exactly the same things as when I left, same jobs, same pubs, same 2 weeks holiday in Spain etc but we didn't want that and didn't criticize them for being boring old farts. But hey, each to his own! I say you only live once and good luck to everyone who at least trys to make a better life instead of those who do nothing but complain anyway!

Good luck, Wannabe Wallaby
Old Sep 15th 2003, 6:56 am
WBB

well said...!!!!

Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

The biggest most common question we get asked is "why Australia"

Nobody has been horrible or nasty, only things like "cool" and "you are brave"

Brave to me is like conquering your worst fear, so foe me climbing a thin tall ladder for 20 ft.

Emmigrating is about embracing life and all the unknown and using every bloody skill you have to work at everything.
Old Sep 15th 2003, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

from the in-laws we've ahd support, from our close friends support and some saying lucky Bu***** wish we could do that, why can't you I ask?Haven't told my mum yet she's got depression so wont take it well, told Dad who called a week later saying he was depressed cos he'd never see me again....the in-laws have already found out flight details and arranged tht they can help us move.

So reactionsa re different, but we don't care cos we love eachother and as long as we do what we wnat to do then we'll be happy adn stuff everyone else, life's too short !

Vicky