Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of
Default Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Two people that I have told this week have snapped back at me through clenched teeth -'You lucky bit*h!'

The thing is these people have the qualifications and money to do it themselves, so if they want to that much why don't they?!

I suppose most people don't have as much guts to actually do it as we all have. Too much to lose etc.

Every night that goes by now I am going to think 'I am a lucky bi**ch'.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:42 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of
Default Re: Friends comments when you tell them 'I'm emigrating to Oz!'

Originally posted by tinaj
Two people that I have told this week have snapped back at me through clenched teeth -'You lucky bit*h!'

The thing is these people have the qualifications and money to do it themselves, so if they want to that much why don't they?!

I suppose most people don't have as much guts to actually do it as we all have. Too much to lose etc.

I think thier response is more of a well wish than an actual desire to do it. Its the standard response i get too.
Old Sep 11th 2003, 9:53 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

We found that apart from our families. most people seemed to take it as more of a dream than reality which has just made us even more eager.Fingers up to the sceptics.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by neil.b
We found that apart from our families. most people seemed to take it as more of a dream than reality which has just made us even more eager.Fingers up to the sceptics.

Yep i've found that people ask 'any news yet/when you off then' and we're only at the TRA stage, most people think that we won't go/won't be accepted, yeah well we'll show em!
rach
Old Sep 12th 2003, 11:32 pm
visa'd member oh yeah!

CROSSY is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by tinaj

Every night that goes by now I am going to think 'I am a lucky bi**ch'. [/QUO

You lucky lucky bi*ch
Old Sep 12th 2003, 11:53 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool It's more complicated

Hi:

I think it's guts, but also more complicated than just guts.

For alot of people it's an unknown. Many people aren't comfortable with unknowns.

There's the feeling of not knowing where the streets are.

The language is different (it's English-like, but not the same, same thing with American English).

The pace is different. You have to learn what's normal. What's accepted social behavior (behaviour).

Most times you are leaving loved ones and lifelong friends.

Yes, you lucky b*tch, it's a nice choice to have.

Let's not forget financial considerations.

Gotta sell the house, car, possesions, years of "crap".

I think these are universal ideas and it doesn' t matter where you are coming from.

For some these unknowns and uncertainties are what make life interesting and for others it's a hassle.

Cheers
Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:31 am
WBB

yeah i agree people tend to think its something you just waffle on about from time to time, they dont believe you will ever actually go!

we have been planning/talking about our migration for the last year or so, before that it was more of a dream to us but hopefully this time next year i should be posting to this group from brisbane.

Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Our friends and family respones :
" Oh why do you want to there ? "
" Very nice , when you going "
" Yeah bet you are !!!"
Very few seemed to actually believe we were going to do it , and as it took a while for the process of application etc , i think they thought we were making it all up , proved you all wrong Then it was " your be back " God they have little faith in you dont you they . Its as if they really want you to fail , again we will prove you all wrong
Joanne
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:22 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[

Every night that goes by now I am going to think 'I am a lucky bi**ch'. [/QUOTE]
So your saying ,funny,little round people with ,funny legs and blue buckets, have more guts than than the rest of us....i think not,,,,,,,,,,,,, MM
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:26 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

'You lucky bit*h!'
I tend to get "You lucky bas***d" but hey I guess thats a gender thing.

But I also know speaking to them they do have a slightly "rosy" view of Australia which isn't necessarily how it is.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

[
So your saying ,funny,little round people with ,funny legs and blue buckets, have more guts than than the rest of us....i think not,,,,,,,,,,,,, MM [/QUOTE]

Can you repeat in English please, I haven't a clue what you are referring to!

Last edited by tinaj; Sep 13th 2003 at 8:56 am.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 8:33 am
creepycrawlycreepycrawly!

mr2blue is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by nosuchluck
Yep i've found that people ask 'any news yet/when you off then' and we're only at the TRA stage, most people think that we won't go/won't be accepted, yeah well we'll show em!
rach
Oh you poor sod I knew the whole process would take ages and so I told know one but a few close friends that we were applying.
Then after the medicals I started telling people at work and then that was it,every day at least 2 people would ask"any news,have you heard anything yet" It would drive me mad to the point I started avoiding people.
The last thing you want to hear when you are waiting and waiting and waiting for that letter is "ooh it's been ages hasnt it I bet you can't wait to go does it always take this long,when do you think you'll go then?"
OH THANK GOD THATS ALL OVER.
Now all I get is envious looks and I much prefer them.
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Most people have Just wished me loads of luck, say i'm lucky, brave, mad but most off all wish they had the guts to do it themselves. I have a broad cross section of people as clients and a large majority of the older ones have said, "oh we had the paperwork to do that, but decided not to, wish we had given it a go now though, good for you" Began to shut the business down this week, i have had loads of hugs and e mail addresses and i am begining to feel a bit emotional now!
Old Sep 13th 2003, 10:35 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jopaulss
Then it was " your be back " God they have little faith in you dont you they . Its as if they really want you to fail , again we will prove you all wrong
Joanne

We didn't have many people say 'You'll be back' only my mum!!!!

Even though we are going back I don't consider that we have 'failed', just learnt a lot and are now having a brilliant time here before we return in 2004. I think it does take guts, courage and a lot of money to come here but guts, courage, and a lot more money to return!!
Old Sep 13th 2003, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where in Wales are you from

Originally posted by welshboybilly
yeah i agree people tend to think its something you just waffle on about from time to time, they dont believe you will ever actually go!

we have been planning/talking about our migration for the last year or so, before that it was more of a dream to us but hopefully this time next year i should be posting to this group from brisbane.

Hi your name caught my eye. Where in South Wales are you. I used to live there myself and own a house there at the moment which is rented out.

Dee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.