British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Friends coming in 2.5 weeks :) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/friends-coming-2-5-weeks-486395/)

PoppetUK Oct 10th 2007 10:49 am

Friends coming in 2.5 weeks :)

Hi all.

We have been here since March and I would say the last 6 months have been fairly tough.

The good news is that we have been in our house 2 weeks now and I am starting to feel more settled. I can't say hubby is though.

The even better news is that my best friend arrives with her little girl and hubby at the end of the month. Because of the weather I haven't had the chance to get out there and try out all the good places to visit so wondered if anyone has some good places both attractions and freebies. Also if you have been somewhere that you didn't think was so good then could you let us know that too. I know the tourist books aren't too accurate sometimes especially if you are describing the Playhouse in Port Kennedy as the biggest and best indoor play centre in WA!!!

We are based in Secret Harbour but can do some travelling. Our kids are 3 year old. Our friends will be heading down to Marget River for a few nights so if you have any good recommendations on wineries that have great toddler facilities and wine that would be great to.

Some good spots to view Aussie wildlife and scenery / flowers (apparently its that time of year) would also be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

An excited PoppetUK

p.s Any advice for travelling with a 3 year old. Leaving UK at nightime arriving here early am. Thanks again.

melaniee Oct 10th 2007 2:28 pm

Re: Friends coming in 2.5 weeks :)

Marapana is good. Peel Zoo looks good too. Would be great for kids although we had a good time :D
Serpentine National park is beautiful too.
Rottnest for the day/night.
Enjoy !

Originally Posted by PoppetUK (Post 5407928)
Hi all.

We have been here since March and I would say the last 6 months have been fairly tough.

The good news is that we have been in our house 2 weeks now and I am starting to feel more settled. I can't say hubby is though.

The even better news is that my best friend arrives with her little girl and hubby at the end of the month. Because of the weather I haven't had the chance to get out there and try out all the good places to visit so wondered if anyone has some good places both attractions and freebies. Also if you have been somewhere that you didn't think was so good then could you let us know that too. I know the tourist books aren't too accurate sometimes especially if you are describing the Playhouse in Port Kennedy as the biggest and best indoor play centre in WA!!!

We are based in Secret Harbour but can do some travelling. Our kids are 3 year old. Our friends will be heading down to Marget River for a few nights so if you have any good recommendations on wineries that have great toddler facilities and wine that would be great to.

Some good spots to view Aussie wildlife and scenery / flowers (apparently its that time of year) would also be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

An excited PoppetUK

p.s Any advice for travelling with a 3 year old. Leaving UK at nightime arriving here early am. Thanks again.

mindblower Oct 10th 2007 3:04 pm

[ [/QUOTE]

Penguin island -Shoalwater ?
Busselton beach / jetty ?

best o luck...

Dave

leigh&ivan Oct 11th 2007 12:22 am

Will be interested to see some suggestions also as my best friend is coming in 12 days :D :D Sooooo excited!
Found this which gives some good ideas of places to visit & honest opinions http://z10.invisionfree.com/Expats_i...p?showforum=31

As for travelling, we also travelled with a 3 year old, night time flight, arrived early am. I was dreading the flight. My daughter's hand luggage was full of things to try & keep her entertained, the usual - colouring books & crayons, books, travel games, stickers, polly pockets. Hardly used any of it :rolleyes: Kept her active & awake all day before the flight, put her pj's on & did bedtime story when we got on the plane & she went to sleep. Slept for the majority of the 12 hrs to Singapore. Kept her active for the 6 hrs we were at Singapore airport & then she slept for a further 3 out of the 5 hrs to Perth :thumbsup:

Have fun with your friends

Leigh

PoppetUK Oct 11th 2007 5:03 am

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan (Post 5411022)
Will be interested to see some suggestions also as my best friend is coming in 12 days :D :D Sooooo excited!
Found this which gives some good ideas of places to visit & honest opinions http://z10.invisionfree.com/Expats_i...p?showforum=31

As for travelling, we also travelled with a 3 year old, night time flight, arrived early am. I was dreading the flight. My daughter's hand luggage was full of things to try & keep her entertained, the usual - colouring books & crayons, books, travel games, stickers, polly pockets. Hardly used any of it :rolleyes: Kept her active & awake all day before the flight, put her pj's on & did bedtime story when we got on the plane & she went to sleep. Slept for the majority of the 12 hrs to Singapore. Kept her active for the 6 hrs we were at Singapore airport & then she slept for a further 3 out of the 5 hrs to Perth :thumbsup:

Have fun with your friends

Leigh

Leigh. That sounds brilliant.

Will pass that on to my friend. We also packed shed loads of toys for our little ones and didn't use any of them!!!!!

What did you do with your 3 year old once in Oz. How did the first few days pan out (can you remember). Would also be interested in that part. Then at least if my friends little girls does the same as your little one we have an idea of what may happen.

Thanks again and to everyone else who's been posting.

Poppet

leigh&ivan Oct 12th 2007 8:43 am

She wasn't too bad. Body clock abit out, going to sleep too early, waking far too early! But it only took about 3 days & she was back to normal. It's so much easier if they already have a regular good bedtime routine. It wouldn't matter what time of day it was, if I bathed my dd, put her PJ's on, read her a story & made the room very dark she'd sleep :D