Friends

Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Friends

It has crossed our minds yes (I can't believe I just wrote that!) but not Perth. I wonder if there things we did not like in Perth would be different anywhere else though!

Originally Posted by Jamiem
In light of all of this, I'd be interested to know if you would consider trying Australia again? or is it something that you feel you've given a go, and know isn't for you?

Best regards,

Jamie
Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:58 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by melaniee
It has crossed our minds yes (I can't believe I just wrote that!) but not Perth. I wonder if there things we did not like in Perth would be different anywhere else though!
Hi Melaniee

You sound fed up petal, feel free to PM is you want too chat. I am house bound today due to the high winds!!!!

I enjoy being back home but we have set a provisional date to return to Australia – 2006/07, more Sept 2007 we think at this stage though we are not telling my family over here. Doesn’t seem two minutes since our return and they will start to get worked up.

We are both happy but I know hubby misses a lot of things and I am missing the sun (though not that horris heat)! I guess all things being equal we would return to NSW initially as hubby has family there but ultimately would move further up the Coast, far north NSW or Queensland for a change!

I have never been to WA so cannot give any views, what I have heard you either love or hate it. From what I have read I personally don't think it would be my bag, but this is just my personal view.

This time when I go back I want less expats, surburbia and more real Australia!!!! It is just what I am ready for.

Take care
Merlot

Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

We moved back to the UK from Perth 4 months ago. Although we are glad to be back in the UK (for the moment!) one of the biggest disappointments for me has been coming back to friends-we were out of the country for just over one year. One of the reasons I wanted to come back was because I missed friends a lot. Now we are back, a lot of them seem different, have changed (or perhaps I have and they have not) and a lot do need seem pleased we are back, interested in what we have been up to etc. Times seem to have changed and it is not possible just to slot back in.....

Has anyone else found that when they moved to Australia they lost touch with a lot of friends of anything similar?
Trouble is Mel not so long ago you were really slagging the Australians off on the Back to Uk forum, in fact you didn't say one positive thing about them and put them all in the same box. If you went back to Uk and did the same thing around your friends moaning and groaning, you can't really blame them for avoiding you like the plague. Now 4 months later in another post you are talking about another part of Australia to go back to?! Your post doesn't surprise me to be honest.
Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:20 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Trouble is Mel not so long ago you were really slagging the Australians off on the Back to Uk forum, in fact you didn't say one positive thing about them and put them all in the same box. If you went back to Uk and did the same thing around your friends moaning and groaning, you can't really blame them for avoiding you like the plague. Now 4 months later in another post you are talking about another part of Australia to go back to?! Your post doesn't surprise me to be honest.
Hi Mercedes

Not wanting to get between a discussion at all and I know Mel wasn't too impressed with Australia and spoke her mind but I understand to a degree what Mel is going through.

Sometime it takes walking away from a place to make you realise things about life, I think Mel is going through some tough processes as we speak about her previous decisions, and she may regret what she said about Australia and Australians, maybe not. She was obviously very home sick at the time and this can come out in many forms.

I think it took some courage for Mel to come back on and say things are not going as she thought.

Best wishes
Merlot

Old Jan 8th 2005, 4:58 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Whilst in Perth I met Mel and her hubby and they are lovely people who are 'normal'. They had just visited a wonderful contry on their travels to Oz and felt Perth was a dissapointment. They didn't have an easy time and found it hard to get 'real' work as so many of us do. Mel just found it easier than others to voice her opinions about the Aussies.

If you lived this way (Mel) in the UK I'm sure we'd be friends

Made me take a sharp intake of breath when I read that you would even consider moving back that way though!!! Give you situation time and rethink in another year. After all everyone keeps saying it takes time to settle, surely that goes for the UK too !! lol
Old Jan 9th 2005, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

yep-expected a comment like that from you Mercedes. Not getting into a slanging match with you-my energy needs to be diverted to other areas! Yes it does take courage to come on here, hold your hands up and say hang on, things weren't good in Australia but not sure if coming back was the right thing to do. I could sit here typing life is grand in the UK and still run Australia down! Perth and the Australians we met were not for us but then we found Perth very inward looking. Funny Mercedes how so many other people come on and relate to what I said re friends. How you have to make it personal everytime I do not know!

Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

yep-expected a comment like that from you Mercedes. Not getting into a slanging match with you-my energy needs to be diverted to other areas! Yes it does take courage to come on here, hold your hands up and say hang on, things weren't good in Australia but not sure if coming back was the right thing to do. I could sit here typing life is grand in the UK and still run Australia down! Perth and the Australians we met were not for us but then we found Perth very inward looking. Funny Mercedes how so many other people come on and relate to what I said re friends. How you have to make it personal everytime I do not know!
Read what I said and not what you think I said. You were not exactly kind about the Australians a few months back on the forum, what I am saying if you went back home after 1 year and your friends asked you how Australia was and you came out with the venom you came out with maybe they didn't find you fun to be around. No its not easy to go to another country, no its not easy to go back I've done both, 3 years for a few months nothing changed with my friends, 4 years on same. 5 years on I had. I don't like the UK hence why I live in Spain for the moment, harder even still with a language barrier. But I don't slag my adopted country off and certainly if I'm thinking about going back to it. Think how many Australians may have taken your comments personally previously especially those living in Perth.

Last edited by Mercedes; Jan 9th 2005 at 12:39 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

The best thing about travelling around is you acquire friends along the way. Some drop out and others are added. You have mates from school, work, location, hobbies, wherever your paths have crossed. Just a matter of circumstances. You can't pre-judge the latest acquaintance simply because she wasn't at primary school with you & didn't know your entire family.

I can't see anything wrong with trying somewhere new again while you have the chance.

For me, I'm a fruitcase, so maybe my friends are only interested in me for the novelty value.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Zebra4

For me, I'm a fruitcase, so maybe my friends are only interested in me for the novelty value.

I'll second the 'friutcase' bit!!!!

Is that why we are friends then, because I like my friends to be batty, or maybe I'm also batty!!!

Hurry up and book thoses tickets.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

I can't see anything wrong with trying somewhere new again while you have the chance.

Yeah, funny how life works out huh-you can never tell! Let me be a lesson to you all!!!!!! Zebra-are you the friends of Jane?-or have I lost it completely? (yes I have before anyone answers!!)
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

The best thing about travelling around is you acquire friends along the way. Some drop out and others are added. You have mates from school, work, location, hobbies, wherever your paths have crossed. Just a matter of circumstances. You can't pre-judge the latest acquaintance simply because she wasn't at primary school with you & didn't know your entire family.

Agree with you there Zebra the world is full of strangers who are yet waiting to be your friend. I met a lovely lady of a plane recently who was approx 60 who had her husband die. She said the friends she expected to be there for her weren't and those who she didn't think she was so close to were moreso when she really needed support. Apparently the others came back in more about 6 months later. She said it taught her that she should have no expectations of other people or friends and anything they give above that is a bonus.