Friends

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mitchells is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Friends

Not talking about family as they are a totally different matter, but has anyone had any bad feelings from friends about the move to OZ.

One of my bestfriends , probably my best friend that I've got, has only today after about four years of knowing that we want to do this has told me how she feels and that has made me feel like a really horrible person for being able to leave her.

We both have young daughters hers 2 and a half and mine 1 and a half and they are really getting on well together and I feel that maybe we are making a mistake, even though we know that she will have a better life in OZ. She also has twins who are 10 and they can't understand why we would leave our friends and family to go and live in country, just because it is warmer and more relaxed. I know they are only kids, but sometimes they do make sense

I know that the waiting around makes you wonder whether
your doing the right thing or not and I think that I'm going through a bad patch at the moment, but does anyone feel like this?

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Friends

Don't worry about your friend; she's not putting herself in your shoes only feeling sorry for herself.

Remember the reasons why you are doing this, if you are like us it's to make a better life for yourself & your children. What future have our kids got in this country?

Stay focused & look forward!

Heather

Old Mar 22nd 2003, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Ross Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Friends & Family

Hi there

We have been away from the UK now for only 6 months.
Initially there was the “I miss everyone & everything� period, then the novelty period of finally being in Australia and then a really terrible homesickness period on the run-up to Christmas. Since the beginning of this year we have plateaud out - had some fantastic times met new friends and at the same time amazed ourselves with our resilience in getting through those days when you do wonder what on earth you have done. At times we have struggled, but we do believe it has made us stronger and we are pleased with what we have achieved.

For us, our friends were some of the most supportive, particularly in the decision of whether or not we should do this. Most quietly supported us and just said they would miss us. The remainder actually encouraged us to do this, saying we would regret it if we did not at least try (a few continually said they "would be there for us" if things did not work out and we went back to the UK) - or maybe they just wanted to get rid of us?! Anyway, for us it has been family who have been most mixed in their response to us and this has been incredibly hard to deal with. There was I think jealousy in some and in the majority just sheer disbelief that we should be 'upsetting the apple-cart' and just thinking/hoping its a phase we will grow out of, but altogether these negative vibes really make you doubt your own judgement. Having said that we have also had some unexpected positive support from some family and this of course makes you wonder why on earth you are leaving them to move so far away. What a no win situation!! It is also difficult leaving elderly members of the family behind especially when you really care about them, as you do not know what you will return to. Whatever, doing what we have done really makes you appreciate people.

We love receiving regular letters/emails from the UK and have had some phone calls from the UK, although not as much as we would like - we hope this will change. We are also returning to the UK to visit family & friends for Easter - we hope if we stay that we will make this an annual visit.

How do others feel about leaving the UK behind?
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Mitchells
Not talking about family as they are a totally different matter, but has anyone had any bad feelings from friends about the move to OZ.

One of my bestfriends , probably my best friend that I've got, has only today after about four years of knowing that we want to do this has told me how she feels and that has made me feel like a really horrible person for being able to leave her.

We both have young daughters hers 2 and a half and mine 1 and a half and they are really getting on well together and I feel that maybe we are making a mistake, even though we know that she will have a better life in OZ. She also has twins who are 10 and they can't understand why we would leave our friends and family to go and live in country, just because it is warmer and more relaxed. I know they are only kids, but sometimes they do make sense

I know that the waiting around makes you wonder whether
your doing the right thing or not and I think that I'm going through a bad patch at the moment, but does anyone feel like this?

Hi Clare Stef and Meg

Don't worry too much about going to Oz. I have days when one of my friends can't talk about me going, and others when she is looking forward to planning her holiday to come and see us.
I guess at this precise time when we have only 65 days left before we go, people are actually telling us how much we mean to them, most probably wouldn't be saying any of this if we weren't going.
Going through this process is quite stressful, and many sad and happy thoughts come and go through your mind, keep focused about why you wanted to go in the first place.
keep in touch
c-ya Yve
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 11:32 am
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light
Wink turn a blind eye!!!!

LOOKS LIKE SOUR GRAPES to me!!!!!!

lisa

keep chin up - just like the rest of us, you're goin on the best adventure ever!!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

mandandbri is an unknown quantity at this point

My best friend of several years was always suppportive of our decision however when we got the go ahead 6 weeks ago she had a good cry then has not called me in three weeks ( we used to speak on the phone several times a day). Of course I was very upset especially when she didn't come to my leaving do.

Luckily my hubby and my mum and dad put it into perspective . You are going for a better life for you and your family and if a friend cannot see that are they really a friend???

realistically it is a flight away we are not living in the middle ages and with email these days you can talk every day anyway.

We all have doubts but if it does not work out you can come back!!

Chin up !!

you are doing this for you and your family!!
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 5:55 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

You'll be suprised how easily kids make freinds. Just remember why you're moving. If you're worried, a few of us are all meeting up on 6th April. We're all from Essex as well, and are at various stages of applying so there will be lots of stories to be shared. There will be plenty of children there as well and about 3 or 4 around your childs age. Email me will your email address and I will send you details of where we are meeting. There are about 14 families coming so you will be more than welcome. Look at the thread called "Calling all Essex Girls" at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=139554 to read about some of us that are going.

Hope to see you there,

Steve.
Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, I think I was having abit of a down day.

I think that I may have made my friend sound like a cow, but she wasn't trying to put me off, just telling me how much she'll miss us etc.

Thanks again I'm feeling alot better, Perth here we come, hopefully anyway.

Old Mar 23rd 2003, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Talking Meeting up

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SteveBannister

We would love to meet up. We live in Essex aswell, Stanford-Le-Hope.
I have tried sending you a pm, but your mail box is full.
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Mitchells
My best mate is giving me the most amazing emotional blackmail. It upset me quite a lot to start with although I am now beginning to get used to it. Trouble is, I now find I am avoiding talking to her or seeing her because I just end up feeling guilty. Not really what you want to be doing shortly before leaving. Shouldn't we be making the most of the time left together?? Beats me...

A

On a downer today
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

jambo_g is an unknown quantity at this point

Jealously!!

Don't worry about it, she may have been your friend for some time but you've got to be selfish and only think about you and your immediate family in these momentous occasions.

A few of my mates are peeved/upset, but it's got to be done, think of the sunshine....oh yes!!

Graham
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jambo_g
Jealously!!

Don't worry about it, she may have been your friend for some time but you've got to be selfish and only think about you and your immediate family in these momentous occasions.

A few of my mates are peeved/upset, but it's got to be done, think of the sunshine....oh yes!!

Graham
I know - but what if I turn into PB when I get to Perth - then wanna come back, and I have no friends to come back to!??!

I am just a bit dissapointed that she turned out to be such a cow! No - really - I will try to stay positive - it's just the sun is out here at the mo and I'm stuck in a bl**dy office til 7.

Is PB right?? Is there really a lack of brickies and hairdressers? If so, I thought I might become one - I have had enough of office politics to last a lifetime!

A

moan moan
Old Mar 24th 2003, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, no chance of turning into PB unless a full labotomy is on the cards

Don't even worry about it, in the words of American shoe manufacturer NIKE - JUST DO IT!!

I handed my notice in at work today!!

Graham
Old Mar 24th 2003, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

Yep - that's it - I want to open a hairdressing salon on the beach -'Open Air Hair' or something like that!! Something that doesn't involve miserable people and manipulating figures all day!!

You lucky thing. I have been itching to hand in my notice since we decided to go!! Trouble is, I can't say anything to anyone due to complicated politics n'all that here - I have to stay stum! It's driving me mad!!!

Old Mar 24th 2003, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

It spread like wildfire here at my work when I decided to go for it back in December. It got to the stage that everyone knew when I told like three people!

I handed my resignation to the Chief Exec and he said he's known for ages he was just waiting for me to tell him

My last day is on the 18th April scaaaaaary!!

Hopefully I'll get the visa in the next week.

Graham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.