Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Fridge/freezer - new law?

Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:04 pm
Living the Oz lifestyle..

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future
Default Fridge/freezer - new law?

Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not... I've just heard that there's a new customs law, bought in about a month ago, which states you cannot take fridge/freezers into Australia anymore, due to CFC issues. Does anyone know if this is true? We're using PSS to ship us to Oz and they haven't heard anything about it.

Sunchaser
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

It would appear to be true, we've had 4 shippers in over the past month and 2 have stated that if we wanted to take our fridge we'd have to have it de-gassed before shipping it. Even if the fridge manual says it is CFC free customs will, apparently, de-gas it anyway and charge you for the priviledge. New rule was introduced on 1st June. Our shippers recommended leaving it behind as not worth the hastle (but then our fridge is old/cheap).
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fridge/freezer - new law?

Originally posted by sunchaser
Hi,

I wonder if anyone knows if this is true or not... I've just heard that there's a new customs law, bought in about a month ago, which states you cannot take fridge/freezers into Australia anymore, due to CFC issues. Does anyone know if this is true? We're using PSS to ship us to Oz and they haven't heard anything about it.

Sunchaser

Seriously !!!!

mine is only 18 months old !

who do i get to de gas it ?
how much does this cost ?
who re fills it and what is the cost of this?

or shall i just sell fridge freezer and buy a new one on the other side ?????

WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTTOX !!

good job you have your eye on the a ball
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

I'd sell it before you go, all that hassle of de-gassing, refilling, etc. Anyway UK fridge/freezers don't operate as well as Oz fridges and you don't want your beers warm do you??
Old Jun 24th 2004, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

thebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the roughthebarkers is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by CK2B
I'd sell it before you go, all that hassle of de-gassing, refilling, etc. Anyway UK fridge/freezers don't operate as well as Oz fridges and you don't want your beers warm do you??
I have to say im not a beer drinking girl
more of a jd and coke junkie
or veeba (a cherry alcopop thinggy)

but too true i will be mostly wanting them to be cold !!

I tell you.....i think i will be needing either of the above b4 the day is out as i have just sent my packers acceptance form back
along with insurance form which included a tick in the box for
said fridge freezer

thanks for the help and advice
got to tell hubby now
he will bw soooooo pleased (not)
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

CK2B will become famous soon enough

Prefer the blue vodka Wickeds myself! Have you tried the "fat frog", just been banned by Irish bars, you have to buy them between 2 of you, it's one bottle Smirnoff Ice, 1 bottle blue wicked and 1 bottle orange bacardi breezer - then 1 strecher home!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by CK2B
Prefer the blue vodka Wickeds myself! Have you tried the "fat frog", just been banned by Irish bars, you have to buy them between 2 of you, it's one bottle Smirnoff Ice, 1 bottle blue wicked and 1 bottle orange bacardi breezer - then 1 strecher home!!

And a big bucket for the sick i should think!!

i must say a blue wkd is right up my street too.

just told hubby about the freezer who is not best pleased
as we paid £500.00 for it and a few months ago
his friend was putting in a new rad for us bashed the freezer door with rad and dented it so if we sell it we wont get our money back !!
its not a bit dent mind you in fact very small but i wouldnd pay much for it if it were me

so just ringing round to find out how much to de gas

and just had one bloke say "oh iv never heard of that"

"cant you just take it with the gas?"

silly me why did i not think of that ??????

P........LEEEASE !

Its like ..... i dont know ........

INSAINIA
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jerzy
It would appear to be true, we've had 4 shippers in over the past month and 2 have stated that if we wanted to take our fridge we'd have to have it de-gassed before shipping it. Even if the fridge manual says it is CFC free customs will, apparently, de-gas it anyway and charge you for the priviledge. New rule was introduced on 1st June. Our shippers recommended leaving it behind as not worth the hastle (but then our fridge is old/cheap).

Ok...
so i have just spoken to my packers and they say if it says cfc free on the back of the fridge freezer then as far as the know this is fine.
They were aware of the new law on this and that was all the information they had.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

pockygoes will become famous soon enough

Bloody hell - we have just bought one of those big amercian fridges - we would be gutted if we could not take it - that was the whole point - it is fab - mains water filter & ice maker etc.

someone please tell me that it is OK to take

cheers

pockygoes
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:53 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We had John Mason's round the other week ( who we decided to use ) and they told us the same thing.
Ours is only 18 months old, and unless you can obtain proof from the manufacturer that the fridge does not contain cfc's, then it will not be worth taking.
Oz customs will either remove the cfc's then destroy it, leaving you with the bill, or ship it back to UK, again leaving you to pay the costs.:lecture:

Arron.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:54 pm
4-1,4-1 i love it,love it

Arron is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
We had John Mason's round the other week ( who we decided to use ) and they told us the same thing.
Ours is only 18 months old, and unless you can obtain proof from the manufacturer that the fridge does not contain cfc's, then it will not be worth taking.
Oz customs will either remove the cfc's then destroy it, leaving you with the bill, or ship it back to UK, again leaving you to pay the costs.:lecture:

Arron.
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:08 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi all,
isn't there a customs web site with this on?

anyone got a link?

Bye
Mark
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:17 pm

sunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant futuresunchaser has a brilliant future

Hi everyone,

So it seems this is true which is not what I wanted to hear!

I had done the same as thebarkers, ticked the removers box for said fridge/freezer AND even worse, it's included in the insurance too. Mr S is NOT impressed as you can imagine as our fridge/freezer is not even a year old. He phoned PSS who's Aussie representatives happened to be here in the UK today and not even they knew anything about it!

So, Mr S will be phoning the Aussie's tomorrow so that we can get this clarified. I will let everyone know what we find out.

Till later....
Sunchaser
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:54 pm
NZ or Bust!

Sazzle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pockygoes
Bloody hell - we have just bought one of those big amercian fridges - we would be gutted if we could not take it - that was the whole point - it is fab - mains water filter & ice maker etc.

someone please tell me that it is OK to take

cheers

pockygoes

I would have thought fridges of that style were cheaper to uy there already?
Old Jun 24th 2004, 5:59 pm

Hi,

For anyone that's interested.... I just found this:

http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/ and then http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/ozo...e-charged.html

Sunchaser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.