FRIB question

Old May 24th 2007, 2:21 pm
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Default FRIB question

Does anyone know-if you are on a temp visa,do you have to have been resident in Oz for twelve months before the FRIB wil give you permission to buy a house? Have just had a look at their website, and thisis how it seems to read.
Old May 24th 2007, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: FRIB question

Hi,
Not that I am aware of we bought a house within 3 days of arrival (our dwelling) and then we had a house built 12 months later as an investment property.

Nick
Old May 25th 2007, 12:40 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjs
Does anyone know-if you are on a temp visa,do you have to have been resident in Oz for twelve months before the FRIB wil give you permission to buy a house? Have just had a look at their website, and thisis how it seems to read.
No you don't.

I presume you are aware of other impacts of buying a house while on a temp visa; you will lose LAFHA (if you have it); you will likely need a 20% deposit on the house (bank requirement not FIRB requirement); you must state on your contract for the house that FIRB consent is a condition; you will not be eligible for the First Home owners grant ; you could be required to sell your house if you leave the country (if still on temp visa).
Old May 25th 2007, 4:11 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jayr
No you don't.

I presume you are aware of other impacts of buying a house while on a temp visa; you will lose LAFHA (if you have it); you will likely need a 20% deposit on the house (bank requirement not FIRB requirement); you must state on your contract for the house that FIRB consent is a condition; you will not be eligible for the First Home owners grant ; you could be required to sell your house if you leave the country (if still on temp visa).
Thanks.I'm asking for someone who's still in the UK,we have PR so none of this hassle when we went to buy!
Old May 26th 2007, 9:19 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gjs
Hi

I asked this question a while back and I remember getting one response from somebody that had got approval very soon after landing. We are on a temp visa (SIR) and are currently going through the process. The application has been in 3 weeks on Monday but they have to give us a decision within 30 days I think. Our mortgage broker said it won't be a problem.
Old May 26th 2007, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=SJR;4833510]Hi

The application has been in 3 weeks on Monday but they have to give us a decision within 30 days I think. /QUOTE]

G'day

I think you need to phone them and find out about the delay. My clients are getting an answer within a week.
Old May 27th 2007, 12:10 am
SJR
Forum Regular

SJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to allSJR is a name known to all

[QUOTE=BullcreekBob;4834859]
Originally Posted by SJR
Hi

The application has been in 3 weeks on Monday but they have to give us a decision within 30 days I think. /QUOTE]

G'day

I think you need to phone them and find out about the delay. My clients are getting an answer within a week.
Hi

Our real estate agent has rang them loads of times and last week they asked her to stop ringing them. That's worrying though, I wonder why it is delayed. I can't see any reason why ours would be a problem though, we have more than a year left on the visa and we haven't done anything wrong! Thanks anyway, I think I will call them myself.
Old May 27th 2007, 12:16 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SJR;4835699]
Originally Posted by BullcreekBob

Hi

Our real estate agent has rang them loads of times and last week they asked her to stop ringing them. That's worrying though, I wonder why it is delayed. I can't see any reason why ours would be a problem though, we have more than a year left on the visa and we haven't done anything wrong! Thanks anyway, I think I will call them myself.
Talk to "Vanessa" she managed to get a result in the last few weeks
Old May 27th 2007, 12:56 am
SJR
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Geelong Gent;4835714]
Originally Posted by SJR

Talk to "Vanessa" she managed to get a result in the last few weeks
will do, thanks.
Old May 27th 2007, 3:43 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

We have bought under a temp visa. the rules for FRIB are (for us and I am sure this is the same for all)
It is our main residence, We are not allowed to rent it out, and we must sell if we leave the country.
You only need FIRB to buy a 'second hand' Property, so you can buy brand new, or buy land and build without FIRB, or buy a property in a resort like Hope Island were all the properties are FIRB approved. We have not come across anyone that that has not got FIRB approved.
We were told that if you chase the FIRB they only get your file and put it at the bottom of the pile. NOT true, we applied for one of our clients and had a response back in 24hrs, others have taken a week or so, maybe it's a case of who you know
Old May 27th 2007, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Suni&Jay
We have bought under a temp visa. the rules for FRIB are (for us and I am sure this is the same for all)
It is our main residence, We are not allowed to rent it out, and we must sell if we leave the country.
You only need FIRB to buy a 'second hand' Property, so you can buy brand new, or buy land and build without FIRB, or buy a property in a resort like Hope Island were all the properties are FIRB approved. We have not come across anyone that that has not got FIRB approved.
We were told that if you chase the FIRB they only get your file and put it at the bottom of the pile. NOT true, we applied for one of our clients and had a response back in 24hrs, others have taken a week or so, maybe it's a case of who you know
FIRB rules are the same throughout Australia.

You DO need FIRB permission to build brand new or buy land.