Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Fresh post : Fly to Oz via USA

Fresh post : Fly to Oz via USA

Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fresh post : Fly to Oz via USA

Theres another post which asks what is the option of having a s stopover in the States en route to Oz, but its been hi-jacked by the "ignore list" candidates so heres a fresh start ;

One user suggested that the cost of going to Oz via Los Angeles is about the same as the "regular" route, but I can't see evidence of this.

For us two and our two kids, its about £1500 from Heathrow to Adelaide via Singapore or Malaysia.

It seems that to go via LA would cost about £4500 and would need another leg via Sydney.

Does anyone know if we can go via USA west coast straight to Adelaide. It just seems to be an ideal opportunity to break the journey for the kids in California for a few days.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Teliko19 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't think you can fly direct but would it be cheaper to fly to Melbourne then get a domestic flight from there instead of Sydney?
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

We are going via LA not sure if you can to Adelaide we are going to Brisbane as we also fancied staying off at Disneyland etc.

try www.cheapflights.com

Carrianne
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:43 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

We are flying with ir New Zealand via LA (to Melbourne, not Adelaide, although Adelaide is our final destination). I found the price to be slightly more expensive than flying East (about £50pp) but I felt it was worth it to get the extra baggage allowance.

I booked through Portman Travel (http://www.portmantravel.co.uk/) as I had vouchers to use up, but I found them to be very helpful and knowledgable of migrant flights. It might be worth giving them a buzz?

cheers

Mel
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:44 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi

We are flying with ir New Zealand via LA (to Melbourne, not Adelaide, although Adelaide is our final destination). I found the price to be slightly more expensive than flying East (about £50pp) but I felt it was worth it to get the extra baggage allowance.

I booked through Portman Travel (http://www.portmantravel.co.uk/) as I had vouchers to use up, but I found them to be very helpful and knowledgable of migrant flights. It might be worth giving them a buzz?

cheers

Mel
Forgot to add, although their prices were more expensive, they quoted me from Glasgow to Melbourne, whereas my other quotes were from London, with the flight from Glasgow not considered.

Mel
Old Jun 20th 2003, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fresh post : Fly to Oz via USA

Originally posted by sundarize
Theres another post which asks what is the option of having a s stopover in the States en route to Oz, but its been hi-jacked by the "ignore list" candidates so heres a fresh start ;

One user suggested that the cost of going to Oz via Los Angeles is about the same as the "regular" route, but I can't see evidence of this.

For us two and our two kids, its about £1500 from Heathrow to Adelaide via Singapore or Malaysia.

It seems that to go via LA would cost about £4500 and would need another leg via Sydney.

Does anyone know if we can go via USA west coast straight to Adelaide. It just seems to be an ideal opportunity to break the journey for the kids in California for a few days.

Hi

I think that may have been me quoting a similar price via LA.

I have been quoted on prices on or just after 1st August from London to Melbourne.

Ebookers ( http://www.ebookers.com ) quoted £1914 Inc taxes for 2 adults and 2 children via LA including a refuelling stop in NZ, flying Air New Zealand. This gave us a baggage allowance of 2 pieces of a maximum of 32kg each.

Air New Zealand themselves quoted me £1524 Inc taxes via a telephone call 0800 028 4149 ( Web address is http://www.airnz.co.uk/default.htm ). This gave us a baggage allowance of 2 pieces of a maximum of 32kg each.

The cheapest price Inc taxes going via Singapore is £1764 on Singapore Airlines. This gave us a baggage allowance of a maximum of 40Kg each as we are entering OZ for the first time on a permanent visa, otherwise is 20Kg each.

If anyone can beat £1764 flying Emirates, Cathay or Singapore Airlines only, please let me know.

For those of you who do not know, a child is entitled to the same baggage allowance as an adult.

Thanks

Terry

Last edited by terryg; Jun 20th 2003 at 12:02 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I often fly from LAX to Adelaide but have to tell you it can not be done without stopping in either Melbourne or Sydney where you do customs/immigration and wait around for your domestic flight.

Flights out of LAX to Australia leave about 11.30 p.m. so you need to keep in mind you are going to be in for a long day before you leave.

However the connection times aren't too bad, flights get in about 6.30 a.m. and the next flight to Adelaide is normally about 8.30 a.m. if you do Sydney. My preference is Melbourne because it is an easier airport to transit plus their baggage handlers/immigration staff seem much more efficient.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Hi,

We are flying via the states on 17th Aug to Sydney (sorry, not Adelaide).

We are flying United Airlines and included in the flight are 3 free stopovers. We have opted to fly from Heathrow to New York to Chicago to Orlando to Los Angeles to Sydney. This will enable us to go to a lot of places we all want to visit - it will take us about a month and we can't wait.

The total cost of this including tax is £1777. This is for 2 adults and 1 child and this includes an extra £80 each for an extra stopover. We didn't think this was too bad for 5 flights each and there were plenty of destinations to choose from so long as we flew out of Los Angeles to get to Sydney.

We booked at our local Co-op TravelCare office in the High Street and they were actually cheaper and much more helpful than the Flight Centre.

Anyway, I hope this is of some help to someone.

Julie
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

annie b is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are yet another family flying through the US to OZ!!! We go from Heathrow to Arizona (via washington) to see my brother then to LA, Las Vegas, San Francisco and finally Sydney.

We have paid 2400 (this includes hotels and car hire) with ebookers for 2 adults and 2 children, but we paid more as we needed the stop in Las Vegas (to get married!!).

I found ebookers to be very helpful and they also got us good deals on hotels and car hire.

Good Luck!!

Anne

Last edited by annie b; Jun 20th 2003 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, everyone. Really good posts.

If we were heading for Melbourne or Sydney, it seems it would be alot easier to go via LA, but the extra time and additional stopover might defeat the object of the exercise.

Our kids are 4 and 1 so I think we will all need some R&R between flights. I guess we will go via Kualar Lumpar or Singapore and stay over for a day or so.

Interesting that Air New Zealand seems to go from the USA direct to Australia though. We will check out this option though before we decide what to do.

Thanks again
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 9:36 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road

We're doing the LA thing as well. San Fran, Vagas ets. AND stock up in Banana republic before we land in Sydney!
Want are people doing about baggage?
64Kg each is all well and good but you can't leave it at LAX and it's a lot to hump round?

Dinky