Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Freo and Crime in Perth

Freo and Crime in Perth

Old Jan 20th 2010, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all
Default Freo and Crime in Perth

So perhaps finally my eyes have been opened!
Can someone explain to me what is good about Fremantly? We went last year because Freo has such a good reputation for being such a lovely place!!! What a complete let down it was for us. A large field with an ok park in the centre - wow, shops selling very poor quality and over priced goods and mmm couldn't find much else.
I have tried reading the WA news online to gain a greater insight into what to expect and I just come off totally disappointed in the high level of crime being reported / shown. What ever happened to the very positive Australia?
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Freo and Crime in Perth

I can't answer your question on Freo, there's nothing there that interests me.
As for the media reported violence, it seems to me that every back street scuffle is reported as major "alcohol fuelled violence" as long as there is a beer can somewhere in the vicinity. All portrayed as the tip of the iceberg - you would think Perth is second only to Baghdad in the top ten violent cities. Can only guess what damage is being done to tourism through this type of reporting.
The reality is, Perth has no more trouble than any other city in the world.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

Thanks, I would like to agree with you on both accounts - just a little surprised considering Australia is meant to be such a positive nation!! Now hoping that someone can explain the Freo point!!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:12 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
So perhaps finally my eyes have been opened!
Can someone explain to me what is good about Fremantly? We went last year because Freo has such a good reputation for being such a lovely place!!! What a complete let down it was for us. A large field with an ok park in the centre - wow, shops selling very poor quality and over priced goods and mmm couldn't find much else.
I have tried reading the WA news online to gain a greater insight into what to expect and I just come off totally disappointed in the high level of crime being reported / shown. What ever happened to the very positive Australia?
All of australia is'nt like Perth, 90% of the population of Australia live on the east coast , Maybe you would find it better over there.

Last edited by mohogony; Jan 20th 2010 at 9:19 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm...we must go to different places in Freo. I go to the markets once in a while and buy goods from vendors. Some stuff is locally made, some not (imported China), up to the consumer to decide what they're willing to pay for. I've been done there with the kids on weekends in the cafes and park on the Esplanade. I've never encountered any problems. It's not a total wasteland.

My old city in Canada, with a population of just 780,000 had more violence and bust ups in its bar district, which unfortunately was located right in its prime shopping area/cafe strip. I'd be walking over broken glass and the remnants of hosed-down vomit to go shopping. This has not been my experience in Fremantle.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 1:25 am
PR and proud

ChuiRafiki is an unknown quantity at this point

There are some cheap shops in Freo, but also some places selling really nice stuff (at not very cheap prices). It depends what you are looking for, and what you want to pay. The harbour area is nice, with lots of restaurants, Little Creatures brewery, Cicerello's, Kailis, Mussel Bar, Joe's Fish Shack, etc. etc. The markets (both town centre and E-sheds) are good fun (and reasonably priced fruit and veg, compared with Coles, Wollies etc., but only open Fri/Sat/Sun normally). Good pub opposite (Sail & Anchor) and a reasonable food court next door. There are some interesting galleries, the maritime museum, a couple of cinemas (Essex Street is good). Otherwise plenty of the usual chain shops, which are a bit dull. Kakulas Sister is a good place to buy flour, coffee, pulses, dried fruit etc., all to weigh out. It's a companion shop to Kakulas in Perth (William Street?). Elizabeth's is a good second-hand bookshop, and has another warehouse shop on Queen Vic Street just out of the centre. We discovered The Left Bank recently, a bit out of Freo up the river, which does a nice Sunday buffet breakfast for $25 (of the all you can eat variety). George Street has nice cafes and shops, again slightly out of the town centre. We haven't been able to find free parking in Freo for a while now: if anyone knows of anywhere and is willing to share the secret, please let me know! I'm not sure I'd want to live in Freo itself, as I imagine it can get a bit busy and noisy on the weekends. East Freo is nicer for living, I think, but probably more expensive.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 2:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

So you didn't go to any of the pubs/clubs, cafes, great outdoor music venues, beaches? Freo's a great place to live and visit, wish it was a bit nearer the city then we'd live there too.

Like the saying for London, if you're bored of Fremantle, you bored of life so much goes on there, Perth can be a bit sterile sometimes but Freo has it all going on.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:31 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Personally i think Freo has a really nice feel to it, got engaged there on my first visit in 2006 so must have liked it! Good music venues, saw Kean there last year in a small venue that reminded me of my Uni days, only about 300 people, where else could you get to see such an act so close up. The markets are good (by Australian standards, no so good compared to European ones), the Prison is worth a visit, daya nd night and there are some great restaurants on the harbor. It also has a bit of history at the round house and the prison, not many places in WA can say that! Some good galeries and wood shops on the high street though pretty pricey (creative Native is not to bad). Considering before the Americas cup it was a dump i think it has done pretty well. Some good festivals during the year, regular performers by the market at weekends, posers in weird cars driving past the cafe strip and it is always popular so can't be that bad. It has a different feel to the rest of Perth. I have never felt threatened or hassled and would walk around anytime there. Then again anyone seen the film 'Last train to Freo'. Good film but shows the violent side of things