Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

French people living in Perth

French people living in Perth

Old May 4th 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

brickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nicebrickies wife is just really nice
Default French people living in Perth

Hi

I don't know if there is anyone out there who can advise, but my SIL who is from France, and has lived in England, is considering moving to Perth. Are there any French Nationals out there who have settled in Perth. Can you let me know what it has been like for you?

Thanks
Old May 4th 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

twhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud oftwhurl has much to be proud of
Default Re: French people living in Perth

I think there is a thriving French community in Perth. My MIL goes to French classes/exchanges
Check out this group :

http://www.afperth.asn.au/

all the best
Old May 5th 2007, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Bit of a coincidence:at the maternity ward yesterday there was a card with about 20 languages on it - so that people could indicate their language if they needed an interpreter.

French was not even on it but Spanish and Italian were. I commented on this to the midwife.
Old May 5th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brickies wife
Hi

I don't know if there is anyone out there who can advise, but my SIL who is from France, and has lived in England, is considering moving to Perth. Are there any French Nationals out there who have settled in Perth. Can you let me know what it has been like for you?

Thanks
Our next door neighbours in Doubleview are French. They are very nice. A few French people have moved here for work (sounds like France is going through a bit of an economic slump)
Old May 6th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Anyone aware of any clubs or association of French Speaking people in Perth besides the Alliance Francaise ?

Old May 7th 2007, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

JR56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Both my children are fluent french speakers, does anyone know if the secondary/high schools in Perth have french as a subject as I am keen for them to keep their french.
Regards
Janet
Old May 7th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JR56
Hi
Both my children are fluent french speakers, does anyone know if the secondary/high schools in Perth have french as a subject as I am keen for them to keep their french.
Regards
Janet
type in the language and as district select West Coast and you will get a list of public schools that offer French north of the river. If you select FremantlePeel, you get the ones south of the river.

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/LOTE/which/sect3.asp

don't know about private ones.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:11 am
Just Joined

JR56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Evelin,
Many thanks for your speedy reply and info on French in schools.
Will check this out
Regards
Janet
Old May 8th 2007, 9:05 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JR56
Hi
Regards
Janet

Don't expect them to learn anything new. My daughter will tell you that she speaks better French than her HS teacher (and in fact her Primary school teacher as well.)
The truth of it is, they will most likely be bored by the VERY rudimentary French they are "learning" in school. All I can suggest is practice at home!

Siren
Old May 8th 2007, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

olauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud ofolauf has much to be proud of

Anything for adults - Clubs, Association etc...
No need to be French but French Community may do so as to be able to keep practicing this language.