Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Freeview TV in aus explained in a video

Freeview TV in aus explained in a video

Old Mar 4th 2009, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freeview TV in aus explained in a video

Not sure what freeview is all about ? watch this video to learn more

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/03/fi...arly.html#more
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:53 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Freeview TV in aus explained in a video

Freeview is Free, and gives up to a total of 15 channels, (five High Definition and 10 Standard Definition), which is about one more than I already get...

It allows you to access an electronic program guide (EPG) as part of the free service. Which I already have ...

There are no contracts or fees to view the extra channels, whoich is the same as me currently...

To receive all 15 Freeview channels, along with the Freeview EPG, households will need a digital set-top box.

I already have one ...

I guess that's why not much will change for me when freeview begins

http://freeview.com.au

Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:56 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Freeview is Free, and gives up to a total of 15 channels, (five High Definition and 10 Standard Definition), which is about one more than I already get...

It allows you to access an electronic program guide (EPG) as part of the free service. Which I already have ...

There are no contracts or fees to view the extra channels, whoich is the same as me currently...

To receive all 15 Freeview channels, along with the Freeview EPG, households will need a digital set-top box.

I already have one ...

yup - I'm with you there...

The only positive for me is that Channel 10 may show most of the upcoming F1 season at half decent times on their dedicated sport channel!

who am I kidding??
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:17 am
Forum Regular

Aldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura aboutAldebaran has a spectacular aura about

I already have one ...

aren't some of the channels available already? any idea when it's supposed to be rolled out? (web site just says coming in 2009)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

all well and good but we dont even get 7, 9 and 10 on digital... are they doing something about the signal? (we have a digital tv)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 4:26 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
aren't some of the channels available already? any idea when it's supposed to be rolled out? (web site just says coming in 2009)
Yes all channels are currently available - its just that lots of them are clones:

eg:

"Ten" has three channels:

10SD - Usual content... crappy SD
ONE-HD - 24/7 B grade sports, no more quality HD drama
ONE-SD - Clone of HD channel but in poor SD quality.

"Seven" has three channels:
7SD - Usual content ..crappy SD
7SD2 - Clone of 7SD
7HD - Mostly the same content again, but in HD (and that is mostly upscaled)

etc etc etc...

Freeview is just a marketing splash to try and re-sell the bad selection you already have access to. Nothing will get us past the fact that Australian TV sucks ass. Long live "Channel BT" and the internet!

all well and good but we dont even get 7, 9 and 10 on digital... are they doing something about the signal? (we have a digital tv)
Have you tried looking at your antenna/cabling? I had crap reception until last novembers storm took out my antenna. A quick insurance job later and with new cabling in place and I get perfect reception on everything. Not sure it would've been worth paying $400 for though!!!.. Theres still nothing to watch!

Last edited by DadAgain; Mar 5th 2009 at 4:28 am.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:03 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

The best TV channels in Australia are:
UKNova
BTJunkie
Mininova
ISOhunt
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:41 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
Yes they are, and I am already watching 14 of them

Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:42 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bridie
You are lucky

7 and 9 and 10 should be removed off the face of the earth - IMO of course

Jim
Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:49 am
ABCDiamond

Out of the top 20 ranked programs during 22nd Feb to 28th Feb,
2 were on Ch 10
5 were on Ch 9
13 were on Ch 7

In the top 10
8 were on Ch 7
and 1 each on Ch 9 and 10

The top ranking program (Underbelly) had 2.3 million viewers, and the 18th ranking (Better homes and gardens) had 1.2 million viewers.

Old Mar 5th 2009, 10:29 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Out of the top 20 ranked programs during 22nd Feb to 28th Feb,
2 were on Ch 10
5 were on Ch 9
13 were on Ch 7

In the top 10
8 were on Ch 7
and 1 each on Ch 9 and 10

The top ranking program (Underbelly) had 2.3 million viewers, and the 18th ranking (Better homes and gardens) had 1.2 million viewers.
Hi ABCD

Those figures do not surprise me and I would not dispute them.

They do not, course, reflect anything that makes up the quality of the production and nor do they reflect that 5 minutes of programme equals 5 minutes of adverts or that they might as well throw the timing schedules out of the window.

This ground has, of course, been covered already many times on BE and I don't intend to drag it round the circuit again

Jim
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect people didnt watch the video.......
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:58 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Originally Posted by dave99
I suspect people didnt watch the video.......
Oh yes..... one of me did..... and about right it was too if the old UK model was anything to judge it by.

Doesn't alter my opinion of the brain-dead Australian "commercial" channels though ... after all, how many Simpsons, how many US crime progs, how many "reality" shows can you soak up ? .........but perhaps I didn't say that. that's me done on this one - honest

Jim
Old Mar 6th 2009, 12:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Not sure what freeview is all about ? watch this video to learn more

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/03/fi...arly.html#more
Haha - that's class And no - doesn't look much like any of the muppets who replied did watch it. Just pick a subject, wind up 'em up ... and off they go ...
Old Mar 6th 2009, 1:10 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hutch
Haha - that's class And no - doesn't look much like any of the muppets who replied did watch it. Just pick a subject, wind up 'em up ... and off they go ...
Guilty as charged... Its not easy being green.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.