Reload this Page >

Freespirit / Working Away From Home Allowance

Freespirit / Working Away From Home Allowance

Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:00 am
Just Joined

ben1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freespirit / Working Away From Home Allowance

Hi

I've just been to a seminar in London run by Freespirit, as I'm looking at going over to Aus in a few months to stay for a couple of years. They've told me that I can get a job in IT in Sydney, and they'll sponsor me. I'm looking at going over on a working holiday visa, and then if I find a job I want to stay in I could convert to a 457 with their help.

They've said that they deal with all the tax/sponsorship/payroll details, and in return I pay them 10% of my salary (or there abouts? I'm not completely sure).

They said that there are agencies who take a lot less than their fee, but Freespirit offer something called a 'Working Away From Home Allowance' (WAFHA).

I've just read up on that on this site , and it seems that if I don't own a property I can call a home, I can't claim that I'm working away from that home and get the allowance. I'm renting in London now, and when I leave my tennancy ends. From an objective point of view, this article makes sense (as technically I'm not away from home if I don't own one!). The article goes on to say that there are agencies who offer the WAFHA, but if I'm 'caught out' as not owning a home, I would have to pay back all the benefits I've received, with interest. Scary stuff.

At this point I'm not sure which source to believe, but obviously Freespirit are using the WAFHA as a major incentive to sign up with them so naturally I'm wary. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Ben
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:06 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freespirit / Working Away From Home Allowance

Originally Posted by ben1980
Hi

I've just been to a seminar in London run by Freespirit, as I'm looking at going over to Aus in a few months to stay for a couple of years. They've told me that I can get a job in IT in Sydney, and they'll sponsor me. I'm looking at going over on a working holiday visa, and then if I find a job I want to stay in I could convert to a 457 with their help.

They've said that they deal with all the tax/sponsorship/payroll details, and in return I pay them 10% of my salary (or there abouts? I'm not completely sure).

They said that there are agencies who take a lot less than their fee, but Freespirit offer something called a 'Working Away From Home Allowance' (WAFHA).

I've just read up on that on this site , and it seems that if I don't own a property I can call a home, I can't claim that I'm working away from that home and get the allowance. I'm renting in London now, and when I leave my tennancy ends. From an objective point of view, this article makes sense (as technically I'm not away from home if I don't own one!). The article goes on to say that there are agencies who offer the WAFHA, but if I'm 'caught out' as not owning a home, I would have to pay back all the benefits I've received, with interest. Scary stuff.

At this point I'm not sure which source to believe, but obviously Freespirit are using the WAFHA as a major incentive to sign up with them so naturally I'm wary. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Ben
Ben,

If you're starting out on a WHV, why bother using an agent?

Also, post this on the immigration forum too as they're more in the know on this sort of thing.

Rgds,

Paul.
Old Mar 2nd 2006, 12:17 am
Just Joined

ben1980 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Paul

Thanks for that - I've reposted this in the immigration forum. I've also explained my reasons for using an agent there

Thanks again
Ben
Old Mar 4th 2006, 7:58 am
kln
Just Joined

kln is an unknown quantity at this point

Watch this one mate. Generally, if you were offered a job whilst in the UK and THEN transferred over then you may have good grounds for claiming LAFHA (Its "LAFHA" by the way).

The ATO is currently hotting up on the LAFHA issue and there are rumours of them targeting Management Companies who are heavy abusers of the LAFHA especially in the IT sector using it as an incentive to lure customers.

If you came here on a 417 (like me!) and then transferred to a 457 that too would raise eyebrows if LAFHA was claimed as you didn't transfer to Australia because you were required to, to undertake your employment with your employer.

Tread carefully.

Originally Posted by ben1980
Hi

Thanks
Ben