British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   free view set top box in aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/free-view-set-top-box-aus-306221/)

lauralollipop Jun 1st 2005 10:50 am

free view set top box in aus

hello

I saw an ad on tv the other night for a freeview digi box, it had a website which was something with freeview in it. I have tried a search but it just keeps givng me the UK freeview stuff.

As our house has a total poo tv reception, we could really do with one of these, to boost our signal, we cannot justify gettin foxtel as just wouldnt watch it enough.

Does anyone know if i can buy anysort of freeview box and how much they are in the Melly area?

cheers

laura
x

JackTheLad Jun 1st 2005 11:39 am

Re: free view set top box in aus

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
hello

I saw an ad on tv the other night for a freeview digi box, it had a website which was something with freeview in it. I have tried a search but it just keeps givng me the UK freeview stuff.

As our house has a total poo tv reception, we could really do with one of these, to boost our signal, we cannot justify gettin foxtel as just wouldnt watch it enough.

Does anyone know if i can buy anysort of freeview box and how much they are in the Melly area?

cheers

laura
x

I can only relate our experience, as we had rubbish tv reception when we first arrived too. We went to Harvey Normans, and the salesman there assured us that a set top box was the way to go, perfect crystal clear digital quality pictures.

So we bought the freeview box, got it home, and reception was even worse, and as its digital, theres no in between (i.e. slightly bad reception) it either gets the picture or it doesn't. So lots of break up, channels disappearing, absolute rubbish. So we took it back, and had to argue to get our money back.

Only months later did we realise we'd given the set top box back, but not the remote control!! :D Serves them right for trying every trick in the book to not refund us :p (Manager not here cant refund you, we could maybe give you vouchers blah blah blah)

JTL

The Bloke Jun 1st 2005 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I can only relate our experience, as we had rubbish tv reception when we first arrived too. We went to Harvey Normans, and the salesman there assured us that a set top box was the way to go, perfect crystal clear digital quality pictures.

So we bought the freeview box, got it home, and reception was even worse, and as its digital, theres no in between (i.e. slightly bad reception) it either gets the picture or it doesn't. So lots of break up, channels disappearing, absolute rubbish. So we took it back, and had to argue to get our money back.

Only months later did we realise we'd given the set top box back, but not the remote control!! :D Serves them right for trying every trick in the book to not refund us :p (Manager not here cant refund you, we could maybe give you vouchers blah blah blah)

JTL

I see they're pedalling the same old sh*t responses to complaints. Years ago, my sister-in-law took a faulty product back to their Toowoomba store when they were called Norman Ross P/L. The assistant said they wouldn't refund/exchange the product as the manager was not in. Her response was "that's bullsh*t" as she knew the manager and saw him in the store while she was talking to the assistant. Also a trainer at work had trouble getting a faulty laptop repaired. They stuffed him around for months.
I wonder why I have never bought anything from them. :rolleyes:

jaswebpics Jun 2nd 2005 2:22 pm

With digital, when you see the picture it's either perfect or nothing - if you're in a bad reception area or have a poor aerial - going digital won't help you, you'll just see total dropouts instead of noise. Basically you need a new aerial or altered placement (higher etc), or just wait until reception is improved in your area...

Here's a good govt site for info:
<http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18>

JohnoBronco Jun 3rd 2005 2:04 am

Have you tried using a booster???

extrameant Jun 4th 2005 9:25 am

hello

cheers

laura
x

Digital terrestrial TV actually requires quite good reception. In UK there were loads of problems with existing antennas not being good enough for digital when it all first started.

Easiest thing to do is to ask your neighbours if they get reasonable TV picture. If they do, chances are your antenna or cable is stuffed, so its worth replacing them or getting one with more gain (get a bigger aerial if everyone else's is bigger). Make sure your aerial points in roughly the same direction as everyone elses. If you are in a very hilly area you may need to get advice.

Generally electronic boosters only introduce annoying distortions on the picture and are only worth while if you live way out in the sticks.

Anne4Terry Jun 4th 2005 9:33 am

Will our UK digibox work in Australia once re-tuned?

lauralollipop Jun 4th 2005 9:36 am

the problem is that for some reason the actual tv aerial is in a very bad place and no where near the tv, so we are using a portable aerial like what you have on your portable tv, and the reception is crap to say the least. We cannot get an extention cable as we have a dog and i would worry about it being accross the floor, the carpets are all pinned down so we cannot run it under the carpets, and its a rental property so we cant do much else.

I went to ask about a booster, but you need an aerial in the first place, Thought about getting a basic anolouge package on foxtel, but i have been on their website and cannot find out any info/prices etc.........

laura
xxx

extrameant Jun 4th 2005 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Anne4Terry
Will our UK digibox work in Australia once re-tuned?

Is a digibox for terrestrial DTT in UK? UK digital terrestrial TV (ie not satellite) uses 2k carrier not 8k. If it is a modern one, it may be capable of 8k carriers but then in Ozz the channel spacing is 7MHz not 8MHz. (I can't remember off the top of my head if Oz uses UHF but I think so).

In short, it probably won't work

extrameant Jun 4th 2005 10:05 am

the problem is that for some reason the actual tv aerial is in a very bad place and no where near the tv, so we are using a portable aerial like what you have on your portable tv, and the reception is crap to say the least. We cannot get an extention cable as we have a dog and i would worry about it being accross the floor, the carpets are all pinned down so we cannot run it under the carpets, and its a rental property so we cant do much else.

I went to ask about a booster, but you need an aerial in the first place, Thought about getting a basic anolouge package on foxtel, but i have been on their website and cannot find out any info/prices etc.........

laura
xxx

I would imagine that any system will need a cable from a decent aerial, even foxtel.

There is an answer though, but not particularly cheap and not too good in my opinion.

If you have a spare video or TV with a video output, attach it to your outdoors aerial (so maybe in a spare room or a corner miles away from the telly). Then buy a video sender (a transmitter and reciever). This is a small indoor transmitter and you could attach it to your spare video. Then you can put the receiver on your telly and hey presto no cables.

Not ideal though, you would need to go to the spare video to change channel! But you can buy a remote control extender to transmit back to the spare video........

Depends why you are worried about the dog though. There is absolutely no risk to him if he chews the cable, cos there's no current in it. But maybe you pooch is a real animal, and likes to tear round the room with a telly dangling behind him, and thats the problem?

You can also get some really small cable, maybe just 2 or 3mm in diameter but this is not run of the mill stuff and connectors would be hard to fit. I am not sure you could buy this easily as a punter.

Actually, just had a quick look at this lot.
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/
Search for 'video sender' AU$71 will get you one with remote control extender. Might be of use?

spalen Jun 4th 2005 10:24 am

Extrameat thats not a bad idea

Aldi do a extender(to transmit from one room to another) with remote extender for $69 here in aus.

We just bought one and it works great.

So near your good aerial socket you have old VCR & the extender. And near wher you want TV you have other extender and your tv. The extender thing broadcasts the signal from the old VCR thru to your TV in the other room.

extrameant Jun 4th 2005 10:28 am

Originally Posted by spalen
Extrameat thats not a bad idea

Aldi do a extender(to transmit from one room to another) with remote extender for $69 here in aus.

We just bought one and it works great.

So near your good aerial socket you have old VCR & the extender. And near wher you want TV you have other extender and your tv. The extender thing broadcasts the signal from the old VCR thru to your TV in the other room.

What do you mean, extrameat! Now your just taking the piss :o)
Actually, when you think about it, you could use your good video in the remote location, unless you use it a lot and have to change tapes frequently etc.

spalen Jun 4th 2005 10:32 am

[QUOTE=extrameant]What do you mean, extrameat! Now your just taking the piss :o)

My Apologies! Good job I didnt swap the X for a C that would have been taking the pi** or similar...

extrameant Jun 4th 2005 10:38 am

[QUOTE=spalen]

Originally Posted by extrameant
What do you mean, extrameat! Now your just taking the piss :o)

My Apologies! Good job I didnt swap the X for a C that would have been taking the pi** or similar...

Thats ok. I'm obviously too sensitive in the 'meat' area, personal problem!

hevs Jun 4th 2005 12:54 pm

the problem is that for some reason the actual tv aerial is in a very bad place and no where near the tv, so we are using a portable aerial like what you have on your portable tv, and the reception is crap to say the least. x

Don't worry Laura, you're not missing much ;) :D