British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   "Free" money (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/free-money-596786/)

kez81 Mar 12th 2009 1:48 am

Re: "Free" money

Got ours today will probably go on bills, good help though glad of it:D

Deutschmaster Mar 12th 2009 2:08 am

Hope to get mine at the start of April. I'm saving it for now then will use it towards flights from having to leave Aus to have my 175 visa issued!

Eastend Girl Mar 12th 2009 2:43 am

Originally Posted by fraser (Post 7370021)
Curry, bagel, pie and mash, jellied eels and that's just my first day;)

Me too but not jellied eels :thumbdown:

ozzieeagle Mar 12th 2009 3:04 am

Double post

ozzieeagle Mar 12th 2009 3:06 am

Curry for me, I'd do the pie and mash. I dont think bagels is a big South London tradition.... thats for you Northerners ;) I'll even go the Jellied eels, just for the sake of tradition. I'm more a Cockels and Whelks man meself, and thats after at least 6 pints of Fullers ESB.

ABCDiamond Mar 12th 2009 3:12 am

Originally Posted by FluffieFaerie (Post 7370056)
Do you happen to know what year they are basing their income on? DH only commenced employment at the end of July 08 earning about $70k pa. Are they calculating for the current tax year or the previous one - do you think he will be entitled to anything?

It is worked out on the year ended 30th June 2008.

Very unlikely you will get any from the ATO then. I didn't pay any tax last year, so I also miss out on that one aswell :frown:

FluffieFaerie Mar 12th 2009 3:16 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7370200)

Very unlikely you will get any from the ATO then. I didn't pay any tax last year, so I also miss out on that one aswell :frown:

We thought that might be the case. Hey-ho, can't complain! Thanks for that. :)

ozzieeagle Mar 12th 2009 3:20 am

When is it supposed to be in by ABCD. We havent dealt with Centerlink for so long that I'm getting anxious that they dont have our details.

ABCDiamond Mar 12th 2009 4:08 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 7370215)
When is it supposed to be in by ABCD. We havent dealt with Centerlink for so long that I'm getting anxious that they dont have our details.

The Centrelink payments are being made this week and next week, on the same date that your normal FTB payments are paid.
They are quoting the dates 11th to 20th March.

ozzieeagle Mar 12th 2009 4:20 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 7370303)
The Centrelink payments are being made this week and next week, on the same date that your normal FTB payments are paid.
They are quoting the dates 11th to 20th March.

We dont get the Normal FTB payments, we wait till the end of the year and get them with our tax return. I understand that these latest payments are to be made before then ?

Possums Mar 12th 2009 4:22 am

do you get it if you've just paid tax on assets rather than an actual employment income?

ABCDiamond Mar 12th 2009 4:30 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 7370318)
We dont get the Normal FTB payments, we wait till the end of the year and get them with our tax return. I understand that these latest payments are to be made before then ?

I think you will get yours after you lodge your FTB claim and your 2008/09 tax return.

This is based on Centrelink needing to be aware that you are eligible on 3rd Feb 2009.

I do feel that those on the annual payment may be slightly disadvantaged, in a situation where they may have been eligible on 3rd Feb, but end up being ineligible at the year end, due to changes in income.

I might by a new computer with mine, this has crashed about 8 times today...

oh wait a minute.. I can use the Education Tax Refund to pay for that one ... ;)

Oh what, Oh what can I spend it on ?

And who said the streets of Australia were NOT paved with Gold :rofl:

ABCDiamond Mar 12th 2009 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Possums (Post 7370321)
do you get it if you've just paid tax on assets rather than an actual employment income?

An interesting question, they do only stipulate a taxable income within the threshold, and having paid some tax. Therefore I would expect it would be covered by that aswell.

bridie Mar 12th 2009 4:38 am

me too.... which is a bugger cos you'd think those on the lowest incomes are the ones who need it the most! :confused:

bridie Mar 12th 2009 4:39 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 7370318)

we get ours at the end of the year usually but we got this bonus this week (as with the $1000 before xmas) :thumbup: