free beer

Old Feb 27th 2004, 10:59 pm
dazuk

Default free beer

Well that got your attention, anyway

I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite outback town they had visited while travelling oz???

I loved staying in pub rooms in the outback, heres a few i went to;

Normanton

Tennant Creek

Alice Springs

Curtis Springs

Coober Pedy

Port Augusta

Dubbo

Mt ISA

Anyway my favorite outback town was Broken Hill, especially Marios palace hotel. (This was in Priscilla Queen of the Desert) It has loads of outback scenes painted throughout by Mario, the old Italian owner and by an aboriginal artist. I had a few real enjoyable days there, his son Borat is a top guy. I was morooned there for a few days after driving my Holden Camira into a roo and had to wait 3 days for the Sydney bound train!

The weirdest town I stayed in was Normanton northern QLD, populated by extreme alcoholics, both white and aboriginal.

All in all I really enjoyed driving through the outback.

Anyone else done it, any tales to tell???

Old Feb 28th 2004, 12:35 am
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: free beer

Originally posted by dazuk

Peter: "Australia is so beautiful"
Joanne: "Yes it is"

Backpacker: "Going to Canberra"?
Ivan: "Sure"
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:26 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

I was just wondering if anyone had a favorite outback town they had visited while travelling oz???

Normanton

Tennant Creek

Alice Springs

Curtis Springs

Coober Pedy

Port Augusta

Dubbo

Mt ISA

Anyway my favorite outback town was Broken Hill, especially Marios palace hotel. (This was in Priscilla Queen of the Desert) It has loads of outback scenes painted throughout by Mario, the old Italian owner and by an aboriginal artist. I had a few real enjoyable days there, his son Borat is a top guy. I was morooned there for a few days after driving my Holden Camira into a roo and had to wait 3 days for the Sydney bound train!

The weirdest town I stayed in was Normanton northern QLD, populated by extreme alcoholics, both white and aboriginal.

You had a good time somewhere?

I'm amazed
Old Feb 28th 2004, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Normanton

Tennant Creek

Alice Springs

Curtis Springs

Coober Pedy

Port Augusta

Dubbo

Mt ISA

Been to all of those except perhaps Curtis SPrings - where is it?
Decided to use launderette in Mt Isa - did 4 loads of washing. Came to use the tumble dryers and they were all blowing out cold air, not hot. Started to panic as we were hitting the road the next day and had nothing but wet washing. Called the launderette owner and he said tumble dryers must be out of gas. Lovely man drove down to the launderette at 10pm, told us to follow him back to his home and dried our clothes for us in his dryer. Meanwhile, his wife was sitting at home in her PJs - she made us a cup of tea and we all sat in the lounge having a chat. Only in Australia!

Dubbo I seem to remeber everyone having 2 heads?

Woomera was a place I thought I'd never escape from. It was like staying somewhere from the X-files. I thought if I never came out alive, no-one would ever know what had happened to me!!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:25 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Been to all of those except perhaps Curtis SPrings - where is it?
Decided to use launderette in Mt Isa - did 4 loads of washing. Came to use the tumble dryers and they were all blowing out cold air, not hot. Started to panic as we were hitting the road the next day and had nothing but wet washing. Called the launderette owner and he said tumble dryers must be out of gas. Lovely man drove down to the launderette at 10pm, told us to follow him back to his home and dried our clothes for us in his dryer. Meanwhile, his wife was sitting at home in her PJs - she made us a cup of tea and we all sat in the lounge having a chat. Only in Australia!

Dubbo I seem to remeber everyone having 2 heads?

Woomera was a place I thought I'd never escape from. It was like staying somewhere from the X-files. I thought if I never came out alive, no-one would ever know what had happened to me!!
Well Curtis Springs is more a name for a homesread rather than a town. It is about an hours drive from Ayers Rock and is the last place be you can stay cheaply,, before the rip off uluru resort. You can even camp there for free, but as it was June and -6 at night I went for the heated cabin rooms.

I only stayed in the ISA for a night in a rough as ***** pub, the bar was full off cowboy types getting very pissed and loud, so I went to the leagues club there, was tamer but shite, you know the type, full of pokies/bland.

I liked some of the outback pubs, I was in one in Cobar, mining town in NSW and met a couple of miners guys we had a good laugh and a few games of pool. The pub had no insect screens and there were 100s of bugs on thepool table, made it a bit more interesting. That was in Feb too it wss about 40, sooo ****** hot.

Also when i was in Alice I was sitting in the Burger king car park waiting for me mrs and i saw these 2 lads parked up and it stank of skunk weed. Anyway, they called me over, one guy pulled out a bud and handed it 2 me, i thought WTF! said I didnt wanna buy any, he said Just take it mate and drove off!!! How strange!!

It was pretty strong too!

Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:40 pm
WBB

Anyway, they called me over, one guy pulled out a bud and handed it 2 me, i thought WTF! said I didnt wanna buy any, he said Just take it mate and drove off!!! How strange!!

It was pretty strong too!
bit of a hypocrite too then razor? i just hope the car you were driving was yours.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:07 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by WBB
bit of a hypocrite too then razor? i just hope the car you were driving was yours.

of course it was his, the fact that he started it by touching wires together was purely coincidental.Would of been fun watching him trying to hot wire the roo though
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:21 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see you posting about something you liked about Oz, Daz! I know there was more, but you tend to usually focus on the bad bits (which I find very important too btw)

Can't really name favourites, but I do like outback towns, though not for more than 1 or 2 days!!
I think it's just so interesting, the 'REAL' Australia. Cities are the same everywhere (sort of), but the country/outback....

Been to lots of places in Outback WA, even lived in 2 tiny places when I was 9/10 yo for nearly 2 years.
On our holiday in 2000, we stayed at Port Hedland, Kunnunurra, Katherine, Rockingham(QLD) and of course the cities and more touristy areas. Those places were a nice place just to relax, and to experience more 'normal' towns (I'm comparing with things like Broome and Airlie Beach)
After 3 days in Brissy and 2 in Sydney, it was great going into the Blue Mountains, and stopping of at a small town at the bakery!!
We'll definetly never live in a city for long, I think! (could change, cos we've never lived in a city before, and maybe after being in Perth a bit, we'll get used to it and prefer it....)

Anyway, haven't been to the Red Centre yet, so looking forward to a trip to Alice, Coober Pedy etc.

Here's a pic of Kunnunurra, it was July, but still f**king hot!! Only spent 1 day there. We walked into the Hidden Valley. Should've brought more water, silly us! Oh now I remember, we were even more stupid, cos it was about midday! Sun directly above and no shady trees!
Attached Thumbnails free beer-2000_24b_kunnunurra.jpg  
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:51 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by WBB

I just wouldne be dumb arse enough to:

Join the army, then take drugs and get caught, I have a few squaddie mates who smoke pot, snort coke, do pills but are smart enough to do it on leave and know the amount of time it takes to leave the system, ensuring that if they are tested they are clean.

I never said I dont do drugs by the way.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:07 pm
WBB

Join the army, then take drugs and get caught, I have a few squaddie mates who smoke pot, snort coke, do pills but are smart enough to do it on leave and know the amount of time it takes to leave the system, ensuring that if they are tested they are clean.

so the only difference between me and you razor is i got caught (in a random test) which can happen to anyone.

BTW i don't do drugs, i was stupid enough to get caught when i was 17 which is 14 years ago.

:lecture:

Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:12 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by WBB
so the only difference between me and you razor is i got caught (in a random test) which can happen to anyone.

BTW i don't do drugs, i was stupid enough to get caught when i was 17 which is 14 years ago.

:lecture:
You said it, you were STUPID because you got CAUGHT.

It wouldnt happen to anyone, if they had their wits about them, my squaddie mates seem to have been getting away with it for years.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:15 pm
WBB

You said it, you were STUPID because you got CAUGHT.

It wouldnt happen to anyone, if they had their wits about them, my squaddie mates seem to have been getting away with it for years.
razor, do you understand what the word RANDOM means BTW i don't think it wise to brag about doing drugs on a forum mate.

Old Feb 28th 2004, 4:21 pm
dazuk

Originally posted by WBB
razor, do you understand what the word RANDOM means BTW i don't think it wise to brag about doing drugs on a forum mate.
RANDOM my arse, if you were clever you count to day of leave lyou have, to the amount of time a substance takes to leave your system.

Compute?????

Old Feb 28th 2004, 5:21 pm
WBB

RANDOM my arse, if you were clever you count to day of leave lyou have, to the amount of time a substance takes to leave your system.

Compute?????
razor, considering the longest most soldiers would get on leave would be 2 weeks and these substances take up to 3 months to leave the body that is not as a practical argument, and anyway most sqaudies were doing these drugs while on camp.

me personally, i had smoked a spliff while in amsterdam 3 weeks prior to my random test, i was young and stupid, you are just stupid!

Old Feb 28th 2004, 9:37 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Daz

The Army, Salvation at that, wouldnt be stupid enough to have such a f#ck wit as you. FACT.

Bragging about mixing with squaddies who smoke pot/ snort coke and do pills is also stupid.

Do these people exist?

Thought not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.