Free Beer!

Old Sep 6th 2002, 8:18 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road
Default Free Beer!

Now that I've got your attention.....

On a kind of serious note can anyone help?

I'm planning on moving to Oz in 2004 with my family and am planning on posting my application in January 2003. I've got loads of information on applying etc., however there's no info on when the medical and police checks are required. Am I correct in thinking this is only requested after the application has been sent or is it up to me to do this before applying?

Also, we're planning on applying under the skilled independent category using my wife's occupation as a registered nurse as my engineering degree is not accredited and I would therefore have to submit a Competency Demonstration Report to the Institute of Engineers in Australia in order to be assessed, which would be more time-consuming. Having said this, would anyone suggest I get assessed anyway, bearing in mind it costs around £190, in order to be more marketable when I arrive and start looking for jobs?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:09 am
ian
Ping Pom

ian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Free Beer!

Hi Houdini
You will be asked for medicals and police clearences when DIMA want them, and will have a set amount of time to provide them in.

You can get them done earlier if you wish, but remember that when your visa is allocated, you will have 12 months in which to make entry into the country from the earliest of the dates on the medical or police clearence.

For this reason, we waited until asked for them so that we would have the maximum amount of time on the visa for initial entry to the country.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about engineering. I went through the ACS (IT application) and got a letter saying I was suitable for migration. I am not sure how much a letter like that will help in getting a job, although I suspect it wouldn't do much.

Perhaps you could join a professional club/institution?

good luck
ian

Originally posted by Houdini:
Now that I've got your attention.....

On a kind of serious note can anyone help?

I'm planning on moving to Oz in 2004 with my family and am planning on posting my application in January 2003. I've got loads of information on applying etc., however there's no info on when the medical and police checks are required. Am I correct in thinking this is only requested after the application has been sent or is it up to me to do this before applying?

Also, we're planning on applying under the skilled independent category using my wife's occupation as a registered nurse as my engineering degree is not accredited and I would therefore have to submit a Competency Demonstration Report to the Institute of Engineers in Australia in order to be assessed, which would be more time-consuming. Having said this, would anyone suggest I get assessed anyway, bearing in mind it costs around £190, in order to be more marketable when I arrive and start looking for jobs?

Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:16 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

> Now that I've got your attention.....

Cheeky...

> Am I correct in thinking this is only requested after the application has been sent
> or is it up to me to do this before applying?

DIMIA will request for medicals and police certs when the time comes. It's not recommended, although this is often ignored, that applicants "frontload" their applications with meds and police checks.

> my engineering degree is not accredited and I would therefore have to submit
> a Competency Demonstration Report to the Institute of Engineers in Australia in
> order to be assessed, which would be more time-consuming. Having said this,
> would anyone suggest I get assessed anyway, bearing in mind it costs around £190,
> in order to be more marketable when I arrive and start looking for jobs?

Do you need the extra 5 points (for spouse skills/qualifications)? If yes, the answer is obvious - you'll have to start writing those CDR essays. If no, it's entirely up to you to have your engineering degree assessed. If you still intend to work in the engineering line, having your degree assessed (to see if it's recognized in Australia) will never harm your job prospects when you land in Australia.

On another note, while the CDR is crazily long-winded (I looked at it, thought about doing it, and fainted before I remembered anything else - j/k), the IEAust assessment itself reportedly takes only a few weeks, if the application is prepared properly.

In any case, nursing is fasttracked, engineering isn't. So it's obvious who should be the main applicant.

Cheers,
Peter
Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:18 am
Free at last!

Originally posted by ian:
Hi Houdini
You will be asked for medicals and police clearences when DIMA want them, and will have a set amount of time to provide them in.

You can get them done earlier if you wish, but remember that when your visa is allocated, you will have 12 months in which to make entry into the country from the earliest of the dates on the medical or police clearence.

For this reason, we waited until asked for them so that we would have the maximum amount of time on the visa for initial entry to the country.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about engineering. I went through the ACS (IT application) and got a letter saying I was suitable for migration. I am not sure how much a letter like that will help in getting a job, although I suspect it wouldn't do much.

Perhaps you could join a professional club/institution?

good luck
ian

Cheers for that Ian!
Old Sep 6th 2002, 10:30 am
Free at last!

Originally posted by ptlabs:
> Now that I've got your attention.....

Cheeky...

> Am I correct in thinking this is only requested after the application has been sent
> or is it up to me to do this before applying?

DIMIA will request for medicals and police certs when the time comes. It's not recommended, although this is often ignored, that applicants "frontload" their applications with meds and police checks.

> my engineering degree is not accredited and I would therefore have to submit
> a Competency Demonstration Report to the Institute of Engineers in Australia in
> order to be assessed, which would be more time-consuming. Having said this,
> would anyone suggest I get assessed anyway, bearing in mind it costs around £190,
> in order to be more marketable when I arrive and start looking for jobs?

Do you need the extra 5 points (for spouse skills/qualifications)? If yes, the answer is obvious - you'll have to start writing those CDR essays. If no, it's entirely up to you to have your engineering degree assessed. If you still intend to work in the engineering line, having your degree assessed (to see if it's recognized in Australia) will never harm your job prospects when you land in Australia.

On another note, while the CDR is crazily long-winded (I looked at it, thought about doing it, and fainted before I remembered anything else - j/k), the IEAust assessment itself reportedly takes only a few weeks, if the application is prepared properly.

In any case, nursing is fasttracked, engineering isn't. So it's obvious who should be the main applicant.

Cheers,
Peter
Thanks Peter,

I too looked at the CDR requirements and thought is it worth the effort? Having said this, we don't really need the extra 5 points and we will be applying on my wife's occupation, but I can't help thinking that being assessed anyway would be useful in job interviews, but then again it's 190 odd quid that could go towards rent when we land in Sydney.

Cheers
Old Sep 6th 2002, 12:43 pm
Jaj

You will be asked to do medicals and police checks when required. Normally at a late
stage of the process.

Do you need the additional 5 points for spouse skills? If so you need to get
assessed now. If not, you will probably need to undergo some kind of assessment, but
you should check out if a different process exists for those who already have
permanent residence (and who need it for the purpose of getting jobs etc) - waiting
until after you arrive might suit better. Check the IEAUST and NOOSR websites.

If your wife is a nurse your application will be prioritised, and may only take a few
months. You should be prepared to validate your visas with a holiday in Australia if
you're not ready to move when they're granted. Of course you could always delay your
application, but given the constant rule changes that's not a wise thing to do.

Jeremy

>On Fri, 06 Sep 2002 08:18:08 +0000, Houdini <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Now that I've got your attention.....
    >On a kind of serious note can anyone help?
    >I'm planning on moving to Oz in 2004 with my family and am planning on posting my
    >application in January 2003. I've got loads of information on applying etc., however
    >there's no info on when the medical and police checks are required. Am I correct in
    >thinking this is only requested after the application has been sent or is it up to
    >me to do this before applying?
    >Also, we're planning on applying under the skilled independent category using my
    >wife's occupation as a registered nurse as my engineering degree is not accredited
    >and I would therefore have to submit a Competency Demonstration Report to the
    >Institute of Engineers in Australia in order to be assessed, which would be more
    >time-consuming. Having said this, would anyone suggest I get assessed anyway,
    >bearing in mind it costs around £190, in order to be more marketable when I arrive
    >and start looking for jobs?
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com