Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

free banking in oz throuigh a uk bank ?

free banking in oz throuigh a uk bank ?

Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light
Default free banking in oz throuigh a uk bank ?

please can any body tell me which one it is ,i can not find the right thread
thanks all

Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: free banking in oz throuigh a uk bank ?

Originally Posted by charlie brown
thanks all

hsbc
Old Aug 12th 2006, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tabby
hsbc
thanks , been relay bugging me we want to set it it up before we go cos we want to tour oz for a while first
Old Aug 12th 2006, 12:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

thanks , been relay bugging me we want to set it it up before we go cos we want to tour oz for a while first
no worries !!
Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:05 am
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

thanks all

What do you mean "free banking" no charges at all? Pete
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pete jackson
What do you mean "free banking" no charges at all? Pete
yes i think so bank account in UK so properly free but you can use them for a time in oz for free when using cash points etc for money exchange
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I think there may be a bit of confusion here.

If you want a UK bank account which will allow you to take money out abroad without charging extra fees then you need a Nationwide Flex Account.

If you want an Australian account which doesn't charge a monthly account holding fee then its HSBC Australia (don't know how easy it will be to open from the UK as I gave up in the end when they wanted a lteer of introduction from First Direct and us to go to their foreign department in Canary Wharf just to open an account). I'm also not sure if all withdrawals are free and there are a low number of HSBC cashpoints in Australia.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spottydog

If you want a UK bank account which will allow you to take money out abroad without charging extra fees then you need a Nationwide Flex Account.

If you want an Australian account which doesn't charge a monthly account holding fee then its HSBC Australia (don't know how easy it will be to open from the UK as I gave up in the end when they wanted a lteer of introduction from First Direct and us to go to their foreign department in Canary Wharf just to open an account). I'm also not sure if all withdrawals are free and there are a low number of HSBC cashpoints in Australia.

Yes the nationwide was the one I was after as we want to buy a camper and tour a bit first so want easy option, cos we won't have an address in oz for contact with bank in oz. Thanks.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 1:18 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog

If you open a HSBC (Oz) Saving Account, then you need to put $2000 in when you open it but then there is no monthly fee. You will pay a ATM fee and a fee per cheque you write, but apart from that.... no charges.

Neil.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 12:59 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the nationwide was the one I was after as we want to buy a camper and tour a bit first so want easy option, cos we won't have an address in oz for contact with bank in oz. Thanks.
Hi Ya
Also once you have finished touring Oz, Nationwide will allow you to have a foreign address to send your monthly statements. I use Nationwide, and my exchange rate varies from 2.46-to 2.49, so i havent even bothered moving money over as it is a good rate.

Russ
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:08 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
If you open a HSBC (Oz) Saving Account, then you need to put $2000 in when you open it but then there is no monthly fee. You will pay a ATM fee and a fee per cheque you write, but apart from that.... no charges.

Neil.

You only pay an ATM fee after your initial 5 free ones are used up. Also you can get money out at any Post Office for free as many times as you like!

Lorraine
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:22 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
You only pay an ATM fee after your initial 5 free ones are used up. Also you can get money out at any Post Office for free as many times as you like!

Lorraine
It's unlimited free withdrawals from HSBC ATMs, and 5 free ones from competitors, but then you are charged for competitor ATM withdrawals after that.

Yes, you can withdraw money from the Post Office for free, but you may need to take your passport with you initially.

Has anyone withdrawn money from an Aussie HSBC account via an overseas HSBC ATM, say in Europe? I would be interested to see if the withdrawal was still free then...

S
Old Aug 15th 2006, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

If you don't notify them of your plans your cash/visa debit card won't work in OZ It has a safeguard on it to stop fraudulent use. This can also be the case for other cards. You have been warned I found out the hard way