Reload this Page >

Freak storm hits Australian city

Freak storm hits Australian city

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 2:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freak storm hits Australian city

Much of Australia has suffered a long drought
A freak thunderstorm hit Melbourne in Australia on Wednesday, causing widespread flooding and leaving drivers stranded on the roofs of their cars.
Firefighters had to use boats to rescue people as more than 100 millimetres (four inches) of rain were dumped on the city in just over two hours.

"This is a once in 100 year event," local forecaster Dean Stewart said.

Emergency services said they had received 1,000 calls and hundreds of homes had been flooded or damaged.

Callers to local radio stations said huge hailstones had pelted their cars.

One woman told ABC radio she had woken up to see water pouring into her backyard.

"It was like a lake, it was unbelievable," she said.

As flood water cascaded past their vehicles, around 10 people were forced onto the tops of their cars.

Eastern Australia has been suffering a long drought and Melbourne residents have been living with tight water restrictions.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Blimey, thought PommieB was back for a minute.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:45 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, wow, so thats just happened right??

Anybody on here have any problems??
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

We had torrential rain for about 1/2 an hour yesterday afternoon with hail stones. Then the sun came back out again and everything dried up. Then a huge thunderstorm about 7.30pm last night with more rain for a short while.

Then at 2.00am this morning there was a massive thunderstorm with sheet lightning and fork lightning and it absolutely bucketed down. Luckily we were not in the area that got flooding, but because we live so close to the Dandenongs, the storm passed over us, hit the mountain, and then came back again, so we got the thunderstorm twice.

The fact that I am absolutely terrified of lightning and thunder didn't help much either. And for some reason I always seem to wake up just as the storm is starting and then I'm a blitering mess until the storm passes and it takes me ages to get back to sleep again.

My sister who lives in the next street slept through it all!!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

wolfens_wife is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldnt believe it. WOW what a storm. The kids were up most of the night crying with the thunder, the sky was lit up constantly, then the heavens openned and I could hear all my tiles sliding down the roof. I woke up after 2 hours sleep to a gushing noise..... water pouring though the ceiling. Rented house thankgod!
walking to school this morning, the whole place just looked a mess with wooden bark chips everywhere all over the roads.

Another storm to follow apparently..... not as bad though.
On the news some bloke walking home from the golf club got struck by lightning and is in hospital with severe burns!!!

Never seen a night like it!!!

:scared:

Last edited by wolfens_wife; Dec 3rd 2003 at 9:09 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:56 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

it was a nightmare!! our lounge room leaked and the dogs were petrified and were howling, the whole house was up watching the lightning for about an hour. I was just panicking that the hail stones as big as golf balls were on there way and me new 4 wheel drive was going to be scarred for life Oh but mr G slept all the way through it
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freak storm hits Australian city

The world's weather must be going crazy. I just spoke to my brother on the phone - he wasn't as badly affected in Williamstown, seemed to hit the northern and eastern suburbs more. I turned on the TV and they have just had devastating floods in France. Global warming?

OzTennis
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by OzTennis
The world's weather must be going crazy. I just spoke to my brother on the phone - he wasn't as badly affected in Williamstown, seemed to hit the northern and eastern suburbs more. I turned on the TV and they have just had devastating floods in France. Global warming?

OzTennis

There is a big change in the weather I'm in Canada we should have piles of snow or at least freezing weather but I went out to day in my Spring coat and runners.....
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:32 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeannie
There is a big change in the weather I'm in Canada we should have piles of snow or at least freezing weather but I went out to day in my Spring coat and runners.....
Nice and sunny in Perth, low 30's forecast today.

What's the problem?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:37 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by renth

What's the problem?
Same here in Sydney.... 25oC and a luvverly day. Waddya reckon Renth? Are they making it up as they go along? Next we'll have Florida_03 on here saying that he's got a hurricane on the horizon!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:41 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by downunderpom
Same here in Sydney.... 25oC and a luvverly day. Waddya reckon Renth? Are they making it up as they go along? Next we'll have Florida_03 on here saying that he's got a hurricane on the horizon!
Didn't Sydney have its own storm and localised flooding yesterday?
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:42 am
owieb

Originally posted by renth

What's the problem?

Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
Just got off the phone to my dad who arrived in Sydney this morning. I said "what about that massive thunderstorm, I bet the plane was bouncing around a bit?"

apparently there was no thunderstorm, weather fine flight and landing smooth as silk.
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:44 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Jirrupin
Didn't Sydney have its own storm and localised flooding yesterday?
If it did, I slept through it!! Just asked, and apparently it was Northern Suburbs somewhere. Blimey, Donna, you're more clued up about Sydney weather than I am!

There was also a gas pipe explosion last night, (which I also slept through.)
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:55 am
I like kittens.

Maybe I shouldn't be joking - just checked the BOM site, and found this warning for Melbourne:

NEWS FLASH - FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

Top Priority
Severe Thunderstorm Warning

for the Melbourne Metropolitan area

Issued at 12:22pm on Thursday the 4th of December 2003

Severe thunderstorms have developed over eastern suburbs of Melbourne, near Box Hill, east of Yan Yean and south of Lilydale.

People are warned that these storms may produce heavy rain, large hail and damaging winds.

[ Radio media to play Severe Weather News Tag Alert 4 here ]

The current thunderstorm warning, issued by the Bureau of Meteorology, indicates the strong probability of intense storm activity in this area.

In the interests of community safety the SES suggests some simple precautions:

- Secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home, then:
- Stay indoors if possible
- If you are outdoors, avoid sheltering under trees
- Listen to the radio station for the storm updates
- Switch off computers and electrical appliances
- Do not drive vehicles through flooded areas

This warning will be updated at 0115pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.