Reload this Page >

Freak storm hits Australian city

Freak storm hits Australian city

Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Freak storm hits Australian city

Originally posted by downunderpom
If it did, I slept through it!! Just asked, and apparently it was Northern Suburbs somewhere. Blimey, Donna, you're more clued up about Sydney weather than I am!

There was also a gas pipe explosion last night, (which I also slept through.)
It was on the news very late here last night, so probably early hours of the morning for you, I think the storm had something to do with the gas pipe exploding, but what you had was not on the scale of the poor folks of Melbourne.

But it is hot and sunny in Perth....scorchio

That concludes this weather report
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:06 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

NEWS FLASH - FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

Cancellation
Severe Thunderstorm Warning

for the Melbourne Metropolitan area

Issued at 1:01pm on Thursday the 4th of December 2003

Severe thunderstorms have now moved to the east of the Melbourne Metropolitan area and no further warnings will be issued unless thunderstorms redevelop.

Phew!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 3:24 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Santa
Blimey, thought PommieB was back for a minute.

Why? This storm is a matter of record, I was in Melbourne at the time though blissfully slept through it. The news coverage showing the flooded freeways and the giant hailstorm with damaged cars looked a bit frightening. Even reported on BBC news website
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freak storm hits Australian city

Originally posted by jeannie
There is a big change in the weather I'm in Canada we should have piles of snow or at least freezing weather but I went out to day in my Spring coat and runners.....
Then again there was a program on in the UK last week which predicted that the 'Gulf Stream effect' could disappear in 20 years time and Britain will then enter a new ice age.:scared:

OzTennis

Yep, they're runners not trainers or plimsoles
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Had another massive downpour with a bit of hail late this morning which lasted for about 15 minutes and the rest of the day has been beautiful warm sunny weather.

They're not wrong when they say that anything can happen with the weather in one day in Melbourne.

Regards
Old Dec 4th 2003, 8:58 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Around Woy Woy there were the golf ball hail stones. A few smashed windscreens I think.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:49 am

Sydney harbour in a massive electrical storm is an amazing sight as long as you are doing a bridge climb.
Attached Thumbnails Freak storm hits Australian city-storm.jpg  
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow, what a photo!!!!
Mash...
Old Dec 5th 2003, 3:54 am

Originally posted by mashiraz
Wow, what a photo!!!!
Mash...
Someone just e-mailed it to me.
Old Dec 5th 2003, 8:44 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by bondipom
Someone just e-mailed it to me.
Is that the storm I drove home through yesterday afternoon? That supercell looked like something out of 'Twister' from underneath. It was gorgeous!