Fraser Island

Old Jan 11th 2005, 7:09 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Fraser Island

Fraser Island............anyone been there? What a fantastic place.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 7:20 am
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Fraser Island

Originally Posted by chippy
Yup, nice sand, nice sea, nice views, good fishin' and, they say, good place fer dingoes!

Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:08 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice place for a short break, only one small niggle the resort itself [Kingfisher] is very expensive, pot's of beer @ $7 for midstrength was a shock to the system, most folks take an eskie full. Fishing is good but if you hit the right spot expect to find yourself quickly surrounded by other anglers as most cruise the beach looking for anyone catching and just fish as close to them as they can get. Don't forget to get your permit either.
We lived at Tin Can Bay marina for the first 7 months and went out on the boat fishing to Fraser quite a few times, never visited by 4x4 always by tinny.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 8:20 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by cresta57
Very nice place for a short break, only one small niggle the resort itself [Kingfisher] is very expensive, pot's of beer @ $7 for midstrength was a shock to the system, most folks take an eskie full. Fishing is good but if you hit the right spot expect to find yourself quickly surrounded by other anglers as most cruise the beach looking for anyone catching and just fish as close to them as they can get. Don't forget to get your permit either.
We lived at Tin Can Bay marina for the first 7 months and went out on the boat fishing to Fraser quite a few times, never visited by 4x4 always by tinny.
The worlds largest sand lsland. great beaches, forsests and lakes, a must see for people traveling to OZ. But those bloody Dingoes ruin it they
should all be shot, they killed a little kid a few years ago.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 9:19 am
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

I went there for a 3 day break whilst on holiday on the sunshine coast! Frazer is amazing! I was totally gob-smacked at Lake McKenzie!! ....in fact we were late getting back to the coach when we went there!!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:35 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

So thats where you've been. Welcome back
Old Jan 11th 2005, 10:57 am
Gee of the Bee Member

Beegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really niceBeegee is just really nice

Originally Posted by wombat42
The worlds largest sand lsland. great beaches, forsests and lakes, a must see for people traveling to OZ. But those bloody Dingoes ruin it they
Yerr lets Kill all those animals we don't like, that will teach em...bloody animals running around being wild
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you for real? Australia's wildlife is something to be proud of, not something to be erradicated to make way for human trampling. What would you rather have? Personally I believe it is the 4x4s that should be removed from Fraser Island! Do you really support an entire dingo wipeout?
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Dmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura aboutDmartyos has a spectacular aura about

Great place to spend a few days, we did the 4X4 3 day excursion there. Hard as hell driving around on the sand sometimes, like driving on snow.
The nature there is great & views from Indian Head are amazing, where you can try your best to see sharks out to sea.

There is a shipwreck worth seeing, aparently quite a few ships perished round there. Dingos are a worry there you have to keep guard but its there habitat & if you keep your distance you'll be ok.

Met an aboriginal couple who were walking down the beach with a crate of beer, picked them up & drove them into the centre of the island where alot of it is Aboriginal land - its reserve, talked to them about the past there, bought some soaps they were selling. Great people there, shame the grog tents to take over some of their lives.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:17 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

what a scaremongrer!!!

Its HUMANS that caused that tragedy with the little boy. Idiotic humans feed the dingo's food or leave scraps of food lying around. The dingo's are now not scared of humans and potentially could attack to get food from you.
The programme Fraser has in place will work with time - ie fines if you are caught interacting in anyway with the dingo's and education of tourists.

I agree the volume of 4x4's is far more detrimental to the island and tourists bathing in Lake Mackenzie with their polluting suncreams on.

On a better note it is a fantastic island if you are prepared to be ecologically friendly and learn about the eco systems in place. your average tourist spot it sure isn't.

Lynn

Think before you speak.

Last edited by lynnlovessun; Jan 11th 2005 at 11:19 am.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 11:57 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

The dingo's there are the purest stock in aus, probably not a good idea to wipe 'em out. They normally leg it if you walk towards them, so they can't be that aggresive.

I would not tend to buy beer there, or fuel which is not far short of double the price of the mainland fuel. Nor would I stay in or anywhere near the resort. I done a couple of trips there, and for me it remains strictly a camping thing.

A couple of things are a pain though, one, the March flies, and two, the current camp-fire ban.
Old Jan 11th 2005, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahhhh...I remember going to Fraser as a youngen...all those years ago!!

Very few people, loads of fishing space(even around the shipwrecks), very little 4x4 traffic on the beach so kids could happily play in the sand....

From what I hear, its quite a bit different now. Although I would seriously love to go back and experience Fraser as an Adult.

Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:04 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hels
Ahhhh...I remember going to Fraser as a youngen...all those years ago!!

Very few people, loads of fishing space(even around the shipwrecks), very little 4x4 traffic on the beach so kids could happily play in the sand....

From what I hear, its quite a bit different now. Although I would seriously love to go back and experience Fraser as an Adult.

..... we thought it was magical - especially laying down on the sand by Lake Mackenzie around midnight and counting the shooting stars. Mind you - there seems to be some serious campers in Australia. The tent alongside us had the works - cooker, fridge, proper camp beds etc and the owner insisted on sweeping the front door area 24/7 to get rid of the sand. Made us in our 2 person ex=army issue look the real poor relations!!

Hope to go back though once we are settled in Australia.

Do they still use the same car ferry - from Eurong (?)

The whale watching in Hervey Bay was an added bonus for us.

Regards

Jim
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:10 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

think I last went to Fraser about 15 years ago.. it was fab then.. it was during the school holidays.. there were still brumbies on the island then.. think they are all culled now??? Dingoes weren't a problem.. and yeah, it was dumb people feeding them.. - lesson is do not ever feed wild animals.. or leave your little kiddies without an adult to guide them to do the right thing...

can remember the cyrstal clear creeks.. and fishing for tailor on the beach.. and losing my catch to sharks!!
Old Jan 11th 2005, 2:11 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Fraser Island is definitely on our "to do" list when we get out there, I've seen several programmes about it and it looks wonderful.

Agree with the point that people feeding dingoes are the problem. They are wild animals after all, not domestic pets!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.