Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

framed dried wedding bouquet. help!

framed dried wedding bouquet. help!

Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:20 am
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future
Default framed dried wedding bouquet. help!

Hi Guys
I know there's been loads of stuff on here about what can I can't I bring to Australia however can anyone shed any light on if I would be allowed to bring my framed dried wedding bouquet?
I've read through the stuff on the customs web site and e mailed them direct when i did eventually get a reply i was told to read the web site - arghhh !!
unless I'm missing a bit ( and I've spent many a confused hour going through it !) there's nothing on there that gives a definite answer and i don't want to take it and for it then to be destroyed of have to return it.
Has anyone else tried to take dried flowers out there - what happened ?
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

swissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to allswissfabs is a name known to all
Default Re: framed dried wedding bouquet. help!

Originally Posted by wendywoo
Hi Guys
I know there's been loads of stuff on here about what can I can't I bring to Australia however can anyone shed any light on if I would be allowed to bring my framed dried wedding bouquet?
I've read through the stuff on the customs web site and e mailed them direct when i did eventually get a reply i was told to read the web site - arghhh !!
unless I'm missing a bit ( and I've spent many a confused hour going through it !) there's nothing on there that gives a definite answer and i don't want to take it and for it then to be destroyed of have to return it.
Hey wendywoo
Well, i have just had my AQIS inspection last week (went myself to BNE and met Quarantine officer) and he asked me many times if i had any dried flowers saying they were a big no no!

So i would recommend you do not bring it. However, u say its framed. is it in a glass frame?

fabie
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 8:43 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I sure I recall it says somewhere (on the website) that you can bring them but they will be fumigated (costs money) and state that they can not guarantee that they will survive the process.

For this reason mine are not going, after all they don't look as good as on the day, there are plenty of pictures of them and there are other more important reminders of the day, not least the hubbie
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

avroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really niceavroncotton is just really nice

My wife brought hers in the shipping. Didn't even think about it to be honest! I would bring it and don't tell anyone thats it's there. Just put it with other pictures, and if you are asked about it, just plead ignorance.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:12 am
Just Joined

wendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant futurewendywoo has a brilliant future

Hi ya
its in a nail and glue sealed glass frame - there's no getting it out !
I know that dried flowers are generally a no no but i as they are all sealed in a frame with no seeds ... no one will give me a definite answer - even customs !

Originally Posted by swissfabs
Hey wendywoo
Well, i have just had my AQIS inspection last week (went myself to BNE and met Quarantine officer) and he asked me many times if i had any dried flowers saying they were a big no no!

So i would recommend you do not bring it. However, u say its framed. is it in a glass frame?

fabie
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:28 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Hi ya
its in a nail and glue sealed glass frame - there's no getting it out !
I know that dried flowers are generally a no no but i as they are all sealed in a frame with no seeds ... no one will give me a definite answer - even customs !
They wont care if its in a frame or not, that can crack/break and you could maliciously break it open and release the plants into the aussie forna system to cause mass destruction and eco-terrorism.

If it says no dried flowers on the aqis site - then it means no dried flowers, not even in a picture frame. If the other people got theirs in its because Aqis missed them , and its a 5000$ fine for not declaring stuff in your shipment that is banned or restricted IF they do find it. (they dont always apply the fine of course).

we chucked ours. They looked crap anyway ;-)
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:44 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys
I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to bring it, BUT I would do as the others said and bring it and put it on the manifest as a picture and hope for the best. Just be prepared to lose it. I don't think they will fumigate dried flowers they will most certainly destroy them if they find them.
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 9:53 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I'm pretty sure you won't be allowed to bring it, BUT I would do as the others said and bring it and put it on the manifest as a picture and hope for the best. Just be prepared to lose it. I don't think they will fumigate dried flowers they will most certainly destroy them if they find them.
Remember none of this is free - there was the famous thread about the kids toy dinosaur full of blackgang-chine colored sand that cost 750$ to get destroyed(!).
Old Nov 22nd 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Didnt think about it either, kids birth flowers were dried and silk and also some iow sand, no problems at all, all our stuff got through ok

Liz