Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Foxtel on more than one TV ?

Foxtel on more than one TV ?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold
Default Foxtel on more than one TV ?

Bit of a technophobe here but does anybody know the answer to this ?

If we have one foxtel box in the house, can we receive the programmes on any other TV's in the house ? I don't want to watch 2 different programmes at the same time, I just want the abilty to watch foxtel in a couple of different rooms.

Foxtel say they only do a separate box, but I seem to remember my mum having some sort of receiver in England for Sky so that she could watch it in bed !

Any ideas anyone ?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxtel on more than one TV ?

Originally Posted by Izzy

If we have one foxtel box in the house, can we receive the programmes on any other TV's in the house ? I don't want to watch 2 different programmes at the same time, I just want the abilty to watch foxtel in a couple of different rooms.

Foxtel say they only do a separate box, but I seem to remember my mum having some sort of receiver in England for Sky so that she could watch it in bed !

Any ideas anyone ?
You can get some sort of transmitter thingy that will get the foxtel signal to any TV in another room. We have a couple. Don't know the details (techy husband set it up) but you can buy them at Dick Smith.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:02 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas anyone ?
I was at a barbie for my boss a week or so ago, prior to him going over east. He had something that did just that and it even had a remote control that would go through walls or bounce off them to change the channel on the main box (though he did say it didn't work so well off bare brick).
Old Apr 30th 2007, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by worzel
I was at a barbie for my boss a week or so ago, prior to him going over east. He had something that did just that and it even had a remote control that would go through walls or bounce off them to change the channel on the main box (though he did say it didn't work so well off bare brick).
thanks - will check Dick Smiths this week.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Any ideas anyone ?
We have them at home in the UK. You need to get an AV sender for the original signal and AV recievers for each TV you want to watch it on. They often come as a pack 1 sender/1 receiver. But if you can get them sperately you only need the 1 sender and then as many receivers as required.
Hope this helps
sals
Old Apr 30th 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

rick_sawyers is an unknown quantity at this point

Any ideas anyone ?
you can easily run a cable from the back of the set-top box to another TV as well. Although Foxtel don't officially tell you that, it mentions it in the set up leaflet.
Old May 1st 2007, 11:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick_sawyers
you can easily run a cable from the back of the set-top box to another TV as well. Although Foxtel don't officially tell you that, it mentions it in the set up leaflet.
Yes, we're running a coax from the RF out on the Austar box to a separate TV in another room.

The house we're building has co-ax threaded all over for the same thing, also cat 5e like spaghetti in case that's better than RF! Several people have said that the sender/receiver method can be a bit dodgy, but you'll only know when you try it in your own place. I bought one from Dick Smith and it only worked for sound - no picture!
Old May 1st 2007, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

thanks - will check Dick Smiths this week.
As the OP said you need a sender /receiver,$80-$90 at DS or Tandy,probably have them online so no need to go to the shop,or telephone them and ask.
Old May 1st 2007, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

You want these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AV-SENDER-REC...QQcmdZViewItem

Not that specific brand, or that specific ebay auction you understand, thats just an example of what you need.

You connect one transmitter to your foxtel box, and then your receivers to each of the tvs in your house. You also have the ability to use your remote cos they have this little diode that you can hang in front of the foxtel box, and so when the receiver gets a signal from your remote it transmits it back to the box.

It actually works quite well, for a medium sized wooden framed house. If your house is brick interior or your house is huge, then pay for a second foxtel box!!!

But seriously, they do work well, its just a bit of trial and error getting them set up right. And of course you are limited to one foxtel channel throughout the house. Oh the hours of fun we've had with me in one room picking the comedy channel, and Mrs JTL in the other room picking the E! channel. Back and forth it would go .. oh how we laughed.

I'm sure the fun will just increase when the kids are old enough to work the remotes.

Oh thats the other thing, once you've got it set up, you'll probably want to buy a second foxtel remote, cos its a pain in the arse to try and remember to bring the remote to bed from downstairs every night. Foxtel sell them and they are not expensive, I'm guessing under $40 from what I remember.

JTL
Old May 1st 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You want these:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/AV-SENDER-REC...QQcmdZViewItem

Not that specific brand, or that specific ebay auction you understand, thats just an example of what you need.

You connect one transmitter to your foxtel box, and then your receivers to each of the tvs in your house. You also have the ability to use your remote cos they have this little diode that you can hang in front of the foxtel box, and so when the receiver gets a signal from your remote it transmits it back to the box.

It actually works quite well, for a medium sized wooden framed house. If your house is brick interior or your house is huge, then pay for a second foxtel box!!!

But seriously, they do work well, its just a bit of trial and error getting them set up right. And of course you are limited to one foxtel channel throughout the house. Oh the hours of fun we've had with me in one room picking the comedy channel, and Mrs JTL in the other room picking the E! channel. Back and forth it would go .. oh how we laughed.

I'm sure the fun will just increase when the kids are old enough to work the remotes.

Oh thats the other thing, once you've got it set up, you'll probably want to buy a second foxtel remote, cos its a pain in the arse to try and remember to bring the remote to bed from downstairs every night. Foxtel sell them and they are not expensive, I'm guessing under $40 from what I remember.

JTL
Thanks for all the info.

Won't need a 2nd remote as I have no custody rights in place for the remote controls at all !!