Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Foxtel and Austar - One and the same?

Foxtel and Austar - One and the same?

Old May 15th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Foxtel and Austar - One and the same?

Does anyone know if Austar and Foxtel are the same company?

Thanks.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foxtel and Austar - One and the same?

Originally Posted by debsy

Thanks.
I don't think they are, though they obviously have a pretty close agreement. I occasionally see adverts for services and things which says, 'not available on Austar'.

I think the Foxtel IQ recorder is also only available with Foxtel, and maybe some of the digital interactive stuff.

Cheers,
JTL
Old May 15th 2005, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I don't think they are, though they obviously have a pretty close agreement. I occasionally see adverts for services and things which says, 'not available on Austar'.

I think the Foxtel IQ recorder is also only available with Foxtel, and maybe some of the digital interactive stuff.

Cheers,
JTL
Thanks JTL
We have foxtel at the mo and I was thinking of changing of Austar was any better.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:54 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JTL
We have foxtel at the mo and I was thinking of changing of Austar was any better.
Generally the area is served by one or the other so it wouldn't be possible to change The majority of the programmes are the same anyway. I used to watch Austar in Hobart - Foxtel here is just the same quality-wise.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks JTL
I always thought that their patches were mutually exclusive, in that Foxtel was available in metropolitan areas and Austar was available where Foxtel wasn't. So you'd get only Foxtel in Brisbane, but only Austar on the sunshine coast.

Might have changed, but that's the way it used to be - you're either in one area or the other - but not both.
Old May 15th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I have seen both here on the Gold Coast - we have foxtel and the neigbouring building has Austar
Old May 15th 2005, 12:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Austar website
Austar United Communications Limited (AUSTAR) is one of Australia's leading subscription television providers, offering primarily digital satellite services to customers in regional and rural areas. AUSTAR also offers dial-up internet and mobile phone services. AUSTAR is listed on the Australian Stock Exchange ('AUN').
www.austar.com.au

Originally Posted by Foxtel Website
FOXTEL is Australia's leading subscription television provider. It commenced distributing its services on cable with 20 channels in 1995, expanding to 31 channels and satellite distribution in 1999 and increased its offering to 45 channels in 2002 following the completion of the FOXTEL-Optus Content Supply Agreement. FOXTEL is now available to more than 70% of Australian homes, with more than 1.1m homes currently connected to the FOXTEL service directly or by receipt of services provided on a wholesale basis to other providers such as Optus TV.
www.foxtel.com.au

Couldn't find if they were mutually exclusive to certain areas. I did notice that Austar seem to offer packages including internet connections and mobile phones that Foxtel don't do.

Cheers,

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; May 15th 2005 at 12:12 pm.
Old May 15th 2005, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
www.austar.com.au

www.foxtel.com.au

Couldn't find if they were mutually exclusive to certain areas. I did notice that Austar seem to offer packages including internet connections and mobile phones that Foxtel don't do.

Cheers,

JTL
I just remember a post from someone who lived Gold Coast north area (Coomera somewhere?) who had Foxtel installed, then rented or bought another house down the road only to find that it wasn't in the Foxtel area, so he couldn't transfer his subscription. Had to start again with Austar.

He was a bit cross about it..
Old May 15th 2005, 12:19 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyc
I just remember a post from someone who lived Gold Coast north area (Coomera somewhere?) who had Foxtel installed, then rented or bought another house down the road only to find that it wasn't in the Foxtel area, so he couldn't transfer his subscription. Had to start again with Austar.

Trevglas I think -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277748
Old May 15th 2005, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's the one! Amazing what you remember, isn't it!
Old May 15th 2005, 12:23 pm
Home and Happy

That's the one! Amazing what you remember, isn't it!
Don't even know why I remembered that one! Just stuck for some odd reason!!
Old May 15th 2005, 12:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Foxtel & Austar are separate comanies, but supply basically the same service . As Nicky (see I spelt it right ) & Polly have mentioned, Foxtel is metro, Austra is regional & rural.

I doubt that changing would give you any advantage, either monetary or programming wise.
Old May 15th 2005, 2:49 pm
Merlot

That is annoying And expensive!

Some cock-eyed rules in Oz sometimes.

M

Old May 17th 2005, 2:26 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Also, are these the only pay TV providors? I know of the two already mentioned and optus. any other options?
Old May 17th 2005, 9:02 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJJ
Also, are these the only pay TV providors? I know of the two already mentioned and optus. any other options?
That's all, and as they are all basically owned by Kerry Packer (PBL) and Rupert Murdoch(Fox) in one form or another, there isn't any other choice in broadcaster. I think they both have part ownership in Optusvision.

ACCC said they had to all share progammes, maybe in different packages but the same content.

Last edited by The Bloke; May 17th 2005 at 9:05 am.