Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

foxtel........???

foxtel........???

Old Oct 17th 2006, 10:41 am
Just Joined

rootsie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: foxtel........???

If there is any way whatsoever that I can get real sky in Oz, i.e. as shown in UK, I'd really like to know.

Last edited by rootsie; Oct 17th 2006 at 10:47 am.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 8:25 pm
A modern day warrior

Tom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond reputeTom Sawyer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rootsie
If there is any way whatsoever that I can get real sky in Oz, i.e. as shown in UK, I'd really like to know.
Yes, with one of these http://uk.slingmedia.com/page/slingbox.html . Obviously need to get it set up in the UK through somebodies TV / computer. I haven't got one but have read reviews and seem quite good. Believe Sony may have a similar product. Over the next few years TV and access to worldwide TV is going to change, despite the BBCs best efforts to block their future internet TV broadcasts somebody will find a way round it.
Old Oct 17th 2006, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

rootsie is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer
Yes, with one of these http://uk.slingmedia.com/page/slingbox.html . Obviously need to get it set up in the UK through somebodies TV / computer. I haven't got one but have read reviews and seem quite good. Believe Sony may have a similar product. Over the next few years TV and access to worldwide TV is going to change, despite the BBCs best efforts to block their future internet TV broadcasts somebody will find a way round it.
Thank you Tom Sawyer, I'm looking into it all. I have no doubt that in the very near future we'll all be able to view, within reason of course, everything we want. As long as I can watch my rugby union when I move over to Oz I'll be happy!
Old Oct 18th 2006, 6:41 am
Happy go Lucky

branlor5 will become famous soon enoughbranlor5 will become famous soon enough

I hate the tv here ,i need foxtel ??????

I just want to know what is going on in eastender really (lol)
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to give an update.
We've had Foxtel since last Friday and it is a godsend.

I'm speaking here from a viewpoint of someone who doesn't watch much TV. But when I'm up in the morning before the rest of the family I can now actually find out what's happening in the world by watching decent news instead of finding out which AFL player has crashed his car into a lamp post.

Sat down last night for half an hour and watched Frasier.

My wife watched some poncy fashion thing later.

The biggest problem is the age old one - restricting the kids cartoon time.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branlor5
I hate the tv here ,i need foxtel ??????

I just want to know what is going on in eastender really (lol)
try www.bbc.co.uk/eastenders/
Old Oct 18th 2006, 7:58 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seasprite
Sorry draw the line at Eastenders, Corronation Street, Home & Away and Neighbours I still have some brain cells that need stimulation.
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I really love that show with that fellow Hugh W F (River cottage and the rest of them)

Sarah Beeny is pretty good as well

Never seen anything like those LIfestyle channel shows before. The poofs in A place in Greece were fantastic viewing.

So from that point of view I really like foxtel as well
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:11 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Hi All,

i'm coming to Aus but one of my things I love is Sky+ here in the UK but i am a bit different to normal setups and was wondering if they do the same thing in Aus.

In the UK I have Sky+ but no subscription to Sky. I paid £150 up front, got a superduper Sky+ box off Ebay, and get all the plus functionality but with no heavy fee.... Basically i can record BBC1-4, ITV1-4, C4, 5, Sky3, News etc which is totally ample in my opinion. My questions are to those experienced in such things.

1. Can you get free channels on Foxtel without subscription to Foxtel like you can in the UK?
2. Do Foxtel do a package of providing you the box and dish but no subscription like they do in the uk?
3. Can you get 7/9/10 etc terresterial on Foxtel so if you get FoxtelIQ you can record all terresterial channels and store them as well?
4. I assume my existing Sky+ box is no good?
5. Here i use the RF2 outlet on the back of my box which allows controlling of the box via a "tv link" IR device. Do they haev the same thing?
6. Is Austar any good? Looks dodgy to me but any views?

Thanks all - i really cant find who else to ask these questions to!?

Mark
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
Hi All,

i'm coming to Aus but one of my things I love is Sky+ here in the UK but i am a bit different to normal setups and was wondering if they do the same thing in Aus.

In the UK I have Sky+ but no subscription to Sky. I paid £150 up front, got a superduper Sky+ box off Ebay, and get all the plus functionality but with no heavy fee.... Basically i can record BBC1-4, ITV1-4, C4, 5, Sky3, News etc which is totally ample in my opinion. My questions are to those experienced in such things.

1. Can you get free channels on Foxtel without subscription to Foxtel like you can in the UK?
2. Do Foxtel do a package of providing you the box and dish but no subscription like they do in the uk?
3. Can you get 7/9/10 etc terresterial on Foxtel so if you get FoxtelIQ you can record all terresterial channels and store them as well?
4. I assume my existing Sky+ box is no good?
5. Here i use the RF2 outlet on the back of my box which allows controlling of the box via a "tv link" IR device. Do they haev the same thing?
6. Is Austar any good? Looks dodgy to me but any views?

Thanks all - i really cant find who else to ask these questions to!?

Mark
1. Dont think so (more detail please)
2. No
3. only 2 and 9, 10 and 7 wont let their feed go through foxtels satellite yet.
4. Ask on Whirlpool.net.au
5. Now that sounds really interesting, I'm a bit of a gadget lover but haven't got a clue what that is. Infer red for what ?
6. I thought they were exactly the same as Foxtel
Old Oct 18th 2006, 10:53 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
1. Dont think so (more detail please)
2. No
3. only 2 and 9, 10 and 7 wont let their feed go through foxtels satellite yet.
4. Ask on Whirlpool.net.au
5. Now that sounds really interesting, I'm a bit of a gadget lover but haven't got a clue what that is. Infer red for what ?
6. I thought they were exactly the same as Foxtel
1. Have a look at the equiviliant in the UK here http://sam-radford.me.uk/ftv.htm
2. Darn thats a real shame
3. Maybe 10 and 7 will come. It was the same in the UK as ITV was not in the package till about 2 years ago
4. Will do but I really dont think it will as the box is branded "Sky" so proably needs a sky signal to make the PVR functions work
5. Take a look at this http://www.tvlink.co.uk/tvlink.htm - fantastic gadget but needs an RF2 port on the back to control the box remotely via the cable.
6. Not sure anyone else??
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:10 am
Happy go Lucky

Thanks mate for that ,i will have a bit of a look when get the time .
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:13 am
Happy go Lucky

Well some people like it some don't ,we can not all be the same .....

By the way i do have a brain thanks !!!!!!!

Originally Posted by annqldau
Sorry draw the line at Eastenders, Corronation Street, Home & Away and Neighbours I still have some brain cells that need stimulation.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 2:52 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth pointing out to those who aren't here yet that Foxtel is a cable service and Austar is a satellite service. Foxtel is restricted to larger metro areas, Austar is available nationwide. The IQ box is only available on the Foxtel cable service, there isn't an official equivalent for the Austar satellite, though it's rumoured to be released some time in the new year, perhaps in conjunction with the launch of hi-def on Fox's satellites. You can of course buy a PVR such as the Topfield or the Mediastar, but they're subject to the vagueries of broadcast times and so you often miss the start or end of programmes unless you add a good five or 10 minutes either side.
Old Oct 19th 2006, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hutch
It's worth pointing out to those who aren't here yet that Foxtel is a cable service and Austar is a satellite service. Foxtel is restricted to larger metro areas, Austar is available nationwide. The IQ box is only available on the Foxtel cable service, there isn't an official equivalent for the Austar satellite, though it's rumoured to be released some time in the new year, perhaps in conjunction with the launch of hi-def on Fox's satellites. You can of course buy a PVR such as the Topfield or the Mediastar, but they're subject to the vagueries of broadcast times and so you often miss the start or end of programmes unless you add a good five or 10 minutes either side.
Not quite correct Hutch, Here in Melbourne, when Foxtel and Optus started laying out their cables, some of the Muncipalitys started to charge to use their Electricty poles as carriers. Moreland where I live was one of the first to charge. Hence some of this area Coburg/Brunswick/Pascoe Vale/Glenroy is Cabled up some isn't. My house Isn't I've got foxtel digital, and I can get an IQ box. They just use the telephone line to send "up signals" to foxtel central.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.