Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four huge months in a land down under

Four huge months in a land down under

Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:41 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Four huge months in a land down under

I've spent a couple of days doing an update for friends back in blighty. A couple of my expats friends thought i should post it on the board as its got quite a lot of stuff on there, so here goes, I have taken out bits of personal stuff, so if it seems a bit disjointed in places maybe thats why. I called it "war and peace from a land down under" .................................................. ..........................................

Just thought I'd do a quick update as I don't seem to have done one for ages.

The last four months has been very busy. Matt's Mum arrived in November so we were in full tourist mode. We went up to a place in the Alpine region called
Bright, it was very beautiful. My favorite bit was aplace called Mount Buffalo National park, it remindedme (if i squinted) of the lake district, gushing
streams and waterfalls and it was very lush and green.However it was the brown snake lying on the path asLeah and I rounded a corner that confirmed that Beatrix Potter had never done a book about a snake inkids clothing before and i soon snapped myself out of my green and pleasant lake District scenario.

On the way home from Bright we decided to go across the mountains to the highest point of Victoria, BIG mistake!! I was driving and I got car sick!! Not only that but the inch that it looked on the map took about 3 hours!! That said, once we got to the top of MT Hotham there was SNOW!! I kid you not. I span a uwey and we all bailed out of the car, dressed in our summer shorts etc and had a cracking snowball fight. Matt was being sensible and wouldn't let us drag the tarp off the roof of the car for an impromptu sledging
session though, Bah humbug!!

The kids broke up a week before Christmas and my mum took them away to Marysville for the week. Matt and I ivisited them for the weekend, it was extremely beautiful up there and only an hour away. In the winter they get snow on the ground and cross country skiing and tobogganing abounds. Leah and Niall want to go up for there birthdays, as now their July birthdays
are in the winter, not summer so no more of our parties in the park to be had.

Christmas came and work was as busy as Santa's Grotto and i was so pleased to have my week off after wards.

Christmas eve was topped off most surrealy with a carols by candlelight in the local park, it was shocking!! It was actually windy so the candles
wouldn't stay lit and the choir and singers were sooooooo unbelievably crap you had to laugh. We went with friends and our husbands we shaming us by
heckling Rather loudly about the total crapness of the proceedings.

Christmas day was 100% better than last years hideous displaced event and if they keep improving like this we might totally enjoy it in around 10 years time. On saying that the kids had a ball and never batted an eyelid at the phone calls of the long lost pommy friends and rellies.

The day after boxing day we hotfooted it up to Sydney(well i say hotfooted, more like 10 hours of sheer purgatory....) to stay with friends for the new year.

It was so nice to chill. We had a couple of days out, the first being up to the blue mountains national park, it was really beautiful up there but surprisingly a bit shabby in places. We found a beautiful spot called Jelly Bean Pool where the kids couldn't resist stripping off and going for a dip, I would have joined them, but didn't want to terrorize the local wildlife. We saw the three sisters,
basically some very big free standing kind of cliffy looking rocks (like the twelve apostles, only there are obviously only 3 and theres no sea) that used to be part of the mountain range but have, over the years, eroded. The mountains really do look blue and the views were awesome.

We had another day out to a wildlife park but this has scarred Niall for life. He was desperate to see the dingos, we go there and watched in horror as a long legged bird similar to a crane, was cunningly brought down by the Dingo pair, its back snapped and its guts ripped out there for all to see. Marvelous!! I pulled the hysterical Niall away and took him to see the Tasmanian Devils "ahhhh, look arn't they lovely" (actually there very ugly and don't much resemble Taz one bit) "yes Mum, but what are they eating?" I
inspected closer and to my horror saw that they were ripping up lop eared rabbit heads!!! OMG! After that everywhere we looked got to be so macabre, the other dingos had to be avoided as they were eating day old
baby chicks, oh how we laughed!! Niall is so sensitive about stuff like that, he hates killing the huntsmen spiders that guard his bedroom door, you can see their eyes and hear them breath. Mums having some kind of panic attack /come seizure, but "please don't kill it, just put it outside!!" Sorry i'm rambling hysterically now, i'll shut up On he way back i was caught
speeding (there was no one around, it was dark, boring
and i wanted to GO HOME!!) and got a nice fine and 4, YES 4 demerit points, two more hours and double demerits would have been over, PAH!

After we got back Matts Dad arrived about 10 days later, more touristy things to be done. Actually there so much to do round here it wasn't to bad cos we
didn't have to repeat things. We went up north for our jaunt this time and stayed in a little place called Numurka. It was basically handy for lots of stuff.We spent a day at the historic port of Echuca which was
where all the paddle steamers used to trade on the Murry. Its on the border of Victoria and New SouthWales and you can get the obligatory "standing in two states" shots. On Australia day we went on a wildlife safari and saw tonnes of real wild Koalas (that madethem sound a bit scary, they didn't roar or anything!!) We had some in trees just above our heads and they were so cute but with claws that could rip ya head off, so you looked but not touched!! After that we did the obligatory Barbee, but obviously not on a
beach cos we were 4 hours inland. However all was not lost as we found Victorias largest inland beach on the banks of the Murry and it was so hot even I swam. I have to say as rivers go it was actually quite warm.
We spent the day there and a great time was had by all. Matts Dad so loves it here he wants to retire here in a few years time, he just needs to persuade
his wife first!!

He went back home, kids went back to school and we reluctantly went back to work, so reluctantly that we went away again last weekend to "The Prom" or its official name "Wilson's Promontory". Its the furthest point South on Australia's mainland and is all designated National park. It took 1/2 hour to drive from the gate to the camp ground, we had a camper trailer and my cousin had a huge Jayco camper thing, we parked them side by side and put a huge tarp over the top and set up camp in the middle in true Aussie
style. We had no power but a good amenities block. The weather was sooo beautiful that we decided to stay an extra day. We were woken in the night by possums attacking out bin bags. Upon further investigation we
found wombats (they are huge) snaffling about and there were heaps of rabbits. We went for a midnight stroll to the beach and found it alive with crabs and on the way back i nearly lost control of my bladder when we came
face to face with a huge possum sat in the path. It just wouldn't move and we wern't about to argue with it. We had a bit of a staring competition and it
eventually sauntered off.

The footy started last week, its not the real footy but kind of a warm up, but its footy all the same. We took some English uninitiated friends who loved it
too. We were amazed at how much we had learned in a year and felt like experts explaining the rules (yes.... there are lots of them!) etc to them. We try to go most weeks that we have a home game, its a great atmosphere and a real buzz to be there, we are often hoarse the next day!!

We are busy most of the time, so much for our relaxed lifestyle LOL. Theres certainly not much time to get bored and we always seem to have things booked, things to do, people to see.

The house reno still takes up most of any spare time we have left and will do for the next 10 years i think, but when its done, it will be fantastic.

We have also had a computer virus and the pc was being awful not letting me log into anything for more than 5 mins freezing etc etc. We think its fixed now, but can i ask once again for no junk mail, funny pictures,
questionnaires, jokes etc, or forwarding of attachments. This isn't cos i don't have a sense of humor, but one day i logged on and had 52 emails, only
2 of them were interesting, the rest were quizzes, pictures, letters to tell me about a virus and how i must pass on this letter to all of the people in my
address book (HELLO??) chain letters (they really really bug me) jokes etc. People tell me there a way to keep in touch, i think they are annoying crap and would much prefer a "i'm busy but thinking of you all" type mail.Anyway, moan over, sorry to winge but i am a pom after all! (and yes, before you ask we have norton, ad aware, zone alarm, hijack this)

Leah is doing great, shes 3 inches bigger than me now, long hair and legs to match. She loves her life out here. I asked her if she wanted to go back to the UK for a holiday next year, she replied "Nah, I really can't be stuffed" Blimey for the bargain price of around $15,000 for us all to get there,insure us and hire a car and small amount of spending money, it hardly seems worth it really.......

Niall is doing well, the environment here really suits him. School is far less regimented so he actually wants to go, which is a god send! He is actually
coming on in leaps and bounds and socially he's a very different little boy to the one that left England nearly 18 months ago. He is up-to my chin and is 1/2 a shoe size smaller than me, not bad for seven hey??

I think thats it, we have no overseas visitors in the
pipeline at the moment, just some friends from our
little continent which will be nice.

Sorry its been so long, but better late than never, as
ever....
_

Last edited by hevs; Feb 25th 2005 at 11:50 am.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:02 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four huge months in a land down under

Wow - you have been busy! Nice to hear of all the variety of things that you have been up to and even your encounters with the wild life!

Looking forward to being able to share some of Australia with our family / friends when we eventually get out there.

Hope life continues to be rosy for you.

Binbird
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:40 pm
¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤ • ¤¤¤

DollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond reputeDollyDaydream has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hevs

Your post was a joy to read.

Glad it's going really well for you...

D D xx
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:44 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, good stuff!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Great to hear from some old timers and more realistic posts
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:02 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey Hevs you have been a busy bee Great post!!!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 1:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
We had another day out to a wildlife park but this has scarred Niall for life. He was desperate to see the dingos, we go there and watched in horror as a long legged bird similar to a crane, was cunningly brought down by the Dingo pair, its back snapped and its guts ripped out there for all to see. Marvelous!! I pulled the hysterical Niall away and took him to see the Tasmanian Devils "ahhhh, look arn't they lovely" (actually there very ugly and don't much resemble Taz one bit) "yes Mum, but what are they eating?" I
inspected closer and to my horror saw that they were ripping up lop eared rabbit heads!!! OMG! After that everywhere we looked got to be so macabre, the other dingos had to be avoided as they were eating day old
baby chicks, oh how we laughed!! Niall is so sensitive about stuff like that, he hates killing the huntsmen spiders that guard his bedroom door, you can see their eyes and hear them breath. Mums having some kind of panic attack /come seizure, but "please don't kill it, just put it outside!!" Sorry i'm rambling hysterically now, i'll shut up On he way back i was caught
and i wanted to GO HOME!!) and got a nice fine and 4, YES 4 demerit points, two more hours and double demerits would have been over, PAH!

_

Sorry to Niall but PMSL. Hope he's not mentally screwed for ever. Great post BTW.
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post Hevs!

I particularly liked the 'nature red in tooth and claw' bits....

I still can't believe that the only mammals I saw in January were bloody rabbits! lots to look forward to next time.

Here's to many more fun-packed years!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Aussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really niceAussiecat is just really nice

Fantastic reading, really pleased it's going so well for you all
Old Feb 25th 2005, 2:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't I read this story once tonight, somewhere else ? What a life you have, puts us to shame!

You having some mates down to stay then? Good on you Hevs, hope they are nice people!!!
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:52 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You having some mates down to stay then? Good on you Hevs, hope they are nice people!!!
They are the best

Thanks to all for taking the time to read my blitherings, it was quite long wasn't it
Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:00 pm
Professional Princess

Originally Posted by hevs
I've spent a couple of days doing an update for friends back in blighty. A couple of my expats friends thought i should post it on the board as its got quite a lot of stuff on there, so here goes, I have taken out bits of personal stuff, so if it seems a bit disjointed in places maybe thats why. I called it "war and peace from a land down under" .................................................. ..........................................

Just thought I'd do a quick update as I don't seem to have done one for ages.

The last four months has been very busy. Matt's Mum arrived in November so we were in full tourist mode. We went up to a place in the Alpine region called
Bright, it was very beautiful. My favorite bit was aplace called Mount Buffalo National park, it remindedme (if i squinted) of the lake district, gushing
streams and waterfalls and it was very lush and green.However it was the brown snake lying on the path asLeah and I rounded a corner that confirmed that Beatrix Potter had never done a book about a snake inkids clothing before and i soon snapped myself out of my green and pleasant lake District scenario.

On the way home from Bright we decided to go across the mountains to the highest point of Victoria, BIG mistake!! I was driving and I got car sick!! Not only that but the inch that it looked on the map took about 3 hours!! That said, once we got to the top of MT Hotham there was SNOW!! I kid you not. I span a uwey and we all bailed out of the car, dressed in our summer shorts etc and had a cracking snowball fight. Matt was being sensible and wouldn't let us drag the tarp off the roof of the car for an impromptu sledging
session though, Bah humbug!!

The kids broke up a week before Christmas and my mum took them away to Marysville for the week. Matt and I ivisited them for the weekend, it was extremely beautiful up there and only an hour away. In the winter they get snow on the ground and cross country skiing and tobogganing abounds. Leah and Niall want to go up for there birthdays, as now their July birthdays
are in the winter, not summer so no more of our parties in the park to be had.

Christmas came and work was as busy as Santa's Grotto and i was so pleased to have my week off after wards.

Christmas eve was topped off most surrealy with a carols by candlelight in the local park, it was shocking!! It was actually windy so the candles
wouldn't stay lit and the choir and singers were sooooooo unbelievably crap you had to laugh. We went with friends and our husbands we shaming us by
heckling Rather loudly about the total crapness of the proceedings.

Christmas day was 100% better than last years hideous displaced event and if they keep improving like this we might totally enjoy it in around 10 years time. On saying that the kids had a ball and never batted an eyelid at the phone calls of the long lost pommy friends and rellies.

The day after boxing day we hotfooted it up to Sydney(well i say hotfooted, more like 10 hours of sheer purgatory....) to stay with friends for the new year.

It was so nice to chill. We had a couple of days out, the first being up to the blue mountains national park, it was really beautiful up there but surprisingly a bit shabby in places. We found a beautiful spot called Jelly Bean Pool where the kids couldn't resist stripping off and going for a dip, I would have joined them, but didn't want to terrorize the local wildlife. We saw the three sisters,
basically some very big free standing kind of cliffy looking rocks (like the twelve apostles, only there are obviously only 3 and theres no sea) that used to be part of the mountain range but have, over the years, eroded. The mountains really do look blue and the views were awesome.

After we got back Matts Dad arrived about 10 days later, more touristy things to be done. Actually there so much to do round here it wasn't to bad cos we
didn't have to repeat things. We went up north for our jaunt this time and stayed in a little place called Numurka. It was basically handy for lots of stuff.We spent a day at the historic port of Echuca which was
where all the paddle steamers used to trade on the Murry. Its on the border of Victoria and New SouthWales and you can get the obligatory "standing in two states" shots. On Australia day we went on a wildlife safari and saw tonnes of real wild Koalas (that madethem sound a bit scary, they didn't roar or anything!!) We had some in trees just above our heads and they were so cute but with claws that could rip ya head off, so you looked but not touched!! After that we did the obligatory Barbee, but obviously not on a
beach cos we were 4 hours inland. However all was not lost as we found Victorias largest inland beach on the banks of the Murry and it was so hot even I swam. I have to say as rivers go it was actually quite warm.
We spent the day there and a great time was had by all. Matts Dad so loves it here he wants to retire here in a few years time, he just needs to persuade
his wife first!!

He went back home, kids went back to school and we reluctantly went back to work, so reluctantly that we went away again last weekend to "The Prom" or its official name "Wilson's Promontory". Its the furthest point South on Australia's mainland and is all designated National park. It took 1/2 hour to drive from the gate to the camp ground, we had a camper trailer and my cousin had a huge Jayco camper thing, we parked them side by side and put a huge tarp over the top and set up camp in the middle in true Aussie
style. We had no power but a good amenities block. The weather was sooo beautiful that we decided to stay an extra day. We were woken in the night by possums attacking out bin bags. Upon further investigation we
found wombats (they are huge) snaffling about and there were heaps of rabbits. We went for a midnight stroll to the beach and found it alive with crabs and on the way back i nearly lost control of my bladder when we came
face to face with a huge possum sat in the path. It just wouldn't move and we wern't about to argue with it. We had a bit of a staring competition and it
eventually sauntered off.

The footy started last week, its not the real footy but kind of a warm up, but its footy all the same. We took some English uninitiated friends who loved it
too. We were amazed at how much we had learned in a year and felt like experts explaining the rules (yes.... there are lots of them!) etc to them. We try to go most weeks that we have a home game, its a great atmosphere and a real buzz to be there, we are often hoarse the next day!!

We are busy most of the time, so much for our relaxed lifestyle LOL. Theres certainly not much time to get bored and we always seem to have things booked, things to do, people to see.

The house reno still takes up most of any spare time we have left and will do for the next 10 years i think, but when its done, it will be fantastic.

We have also had a computer virus and the pc was being awful not letting me log into anything for more than 5 mins freezing etc etc. We think its fixed now, but can i ask once again for no junk mail, funny pictures,
questionnaires, jokes etc, or forwarding of attachments. This isn't cos i don't have a sense of humor, but one day i logged on and had 52 emails, only
2 of them were interesting, the rest were quizzes, pictures, letters to tell me about a virus and how i must pass on this letter to all of the people in my
address book (HELLO??) chain letters (they really really bug me) jokes etc. People tell me there a way to keep in touch, i think they are annoying crap and would much prefer a "i'm busy but thinking of you all" type mail.Anyway, moan over, sorry to winge but i am a pom after all! (and yes, before you ask we have norton, ad aware, zone alarm, hijack this)

Leah is doing great, shes 3 inches bigger than me now, long hair and legs to match. She loves her life out here. I asked her if she wanted to go back to the UK for a holiday next year, she replied "Nah, I really can't be stuffed" Blimey for the bargain price of around $15,000 for us all to get there,insure us and hire a car and small amount of spending money, it hardly seems worth it really.......

Niall is doing well, the environment here really suits him. School is far less regimented so he actually wants to go, which is a god send! He is actually
coming on in leaps and bounds and socially he's a very different little boy to the one that left England nearly 18 months ago. He is up-to my chin and is 1/2 a shoe size smaller than me, not bad for seven hey??

I think thats it, we have no overseas visitors in the
pipeline at the moment, just some friends from our
little continent which will be nice.

Sorry its been so long, but better late than never, as
ever....
_

I dont know why hevs, but I can imagine you with a slight Aussie accent, just the way you say words.

Have you got an accent yet?

Its funny, we met this woman from Yorkshire in QLD and she had been there 20 years with no sign of an Aussie accent.

Yet the londerners/southerners seem to pick it up quicker.

I lived in Torquay for 7 years and come back with a strong devon accent.

I love the Aussie accent though.

Old Feb 25th 2005, 10:06 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Haven't I read this story once tonight, somewhere else ? What a life you have, puts us to shame!

There a pain in the ass she told me, racey type of people but what can you do.
Any idea who it might be Polly?
Old Feb 25th 2005, 11:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
There a pain in the ass she told me, racey type of people but what can you do.
Any idea who it might be Polly?
Some drunken floozie looking for somewhere to party I expect
Old Feb 26th 2005, 12:56 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post Hevs

Are you going to Hanging Rock tomorrow? If so see you there, Cas.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.