Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four hour survey!!!!!!!!

Four hour survey!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

elfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to allelfin is a name known to all
Default Four hour survey!!!!!!!!

Hi, after worrying last week about not hearing anything since accepting an offer, on Monday the survey was booked to come Tuesday morning 10am.
I thought well things are on the move.
The guy arrived and was here for four hours!
Then said that he would get the survey out to the buyers for Friday, and although he could not be specific "There were things he would have to highlight".OMG :scared: What has he found!!!!
I would'nt mind but we bought this house 3 yrs ago paid £650.00 for a survey and they found nothing.
Ah well at least its moving, and with luck all this will soon be a distant bad memory.
I will keep you informed.
Sending love and light
Elfin x
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Four hour survey!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by elfin
Hi, after worrying last week about not hearing anything since accepting an offer, on Monday the survey was booked to come Tuesday morning 10am.
Then said that he would get the survey out to the buyers for Friday, and although he could not be specific "There were things he would have to highlight".OMG :scared: What has he found!!!!
I would'nt mind but we bought this house 3 yrs ago paid £650.00 for a survey and they found nothing.
Ah well at least its moving, and with luck all this will soon be a distant bad memory.
Sending love and light
Elfin x
It would have been a full structural survey, sounds like you had a Homebuyers a few years ago. A full structural basically is what it says on the packet, so it will read appallingly as it will mention anything & everything but don't worry - the Homebuyer's would have picked up any major faults so unless something has happened or they want to be really picky, it should be ok.

Just don't worry and deal with it once you hear back, nothing you can do until then.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just had my buyers hassling me to take a few grand off the price because of some things in the survey. We originally gave it to them for £15K less than we were asking! It's worth what they're buying it for and could be worth a lot more. They're getting a good deal.

I've read the survey and it's got a lot of 'This could be fixed for approx £200' scattered through it here and there.

We've told them no way but as a gesture, we'll have the gas appliances serviced for them. Other than that, they're living with their sister in law (from hell) and so they're desparate to be in.

If there are things in there he's highlighting, then stick to your guns if you're happy with your price.

Last edited by iPom; Mar 15th 2006 at 4:12 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by iPom
I've just had my buyers hassling me to take a few grand off the price because of some things in the survey. We originally gave it to them for £15K less than we were asking! It's worth what they're buying it for and could be worth a lot more. They're getting a good deal.

I've read the survey and it's got a lot of 'This could be fixed for approx £200' scattered through it here and there.

We've told them no way but as a gesture, we'll have the gas appliances serviced for them. Other than that, they're living with their sister in law (from hell) and so they're desparate to be in.

If there are things in there he's highlighting, then stick to your guns if you're happy with your price.
Absolutely agree - the surveyor has to mention all the things (the number of things depends on type of survey) but no one has a perfect house. The buyer just has to take a view and if they want the house, they'll buy it and either do or not do the work and if they don't want the house, they won't. Then it's up to you to do any bits that are dealbreakers or not.

Valuation is an art as well as a science and all things are negotiable...
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yonk
Absolutely agree - the surveyor has to mention all the things (the number of things depends on type of survey) but no one has a perfect house. The buyer just has to take a view and if they want the house, they'll buy it and either do or not do the work and if they don't want the house, they won't. Then it's up to you to do any bits that are dealbreakers or not.

Valuation is an art as well as a science and all things are negotiable...

Well he wrote in the survey that the decor was poor!

When we bought the house, it was Rupert Bear yellow all over including the ceilings. Some walls needed replastering and the whole place was pig ugly. We've done it up ourselves so when he says it's 'poor' I feel like smacking him in the face! It is far from poor apart from one bedroom which is still yellow - we thought we'd leave it to them to do that one.

But hey, they have to be critical - that's what they're being paid for,
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:31 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Why not change tact - yes we will do these things but the price will go up by £300 per item - or lets start back with the £15K and take out of it the said items.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:33 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Sending love and light
Elfin x
I suppose if the buyers have invested in a decent survey they must be serious and are now in the awkward position of do we walk away after wasting at least £1K?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by thebears
Why not change tact - yes we will do these things but the price will go up by £300 per item - or lets start back with the £15K and take out of it the said items.
Because we leave in 3 weeks and it just can't be done.

The survey said that the house was worth the money they were paying for it, so we're not going to give way.

I like your ideas, but Bears, I'm so tired. Hub is working, I am doing all the Australia stuff, plus three children, plus selling the house.
It's bloody knackering isn't it?!

I want to be gone and they want to be in. There's 15K off the price. Take it or leave it. I did tell the agent if they didn't want it, we'd put the house back on the market. That's about as bolshy as I'm going to get right now.

The good thing is that they are living with their horrible sister in law. They're desparate but it's her who's doing the pushing. She's made all the offers and negotiations all the way through even though it's not her house. How weird is that? Maybe she's as desparate as they are to be rid.
Anyway, they are too far down the track ... we're due to complete in 2 weeks time. If they back out now, they've wasted tonnes of money.

Last edited by iPom; Mar 15th 2006 at 4:39 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

Well he wrote in the survey that the decor was poor!

When we bought the house, it was Rupert Bear yellow all over including the ceilings. Some walls needed replastering and the whole place was pig ugly. We've done it up ourselves so when he says it's 'poor' I feel like smacking him in the face! It is far from poor apart from one bedroom which is still yellow - we thought we'd leave it to them to do that one.

But hey, they have to be critical - that's what they're being paid for,
that happens to me too......
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:30 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Sending love and light
Elfin x
Good luck with this, Elfin - the surveyor at our house when we sold (for the second time!) was there for all of 20 minutes.

On the bright side - as another poster has said - the prospective buyer must be serious if he is prepared to lose that sort of money.

Apart from that - how you doing?

Jim