Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Old Nov 15th 2011, 10:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Newtown and Glebe are definitely the place to head for New Age shops. I know Glebe better than Newtown, as I used to live there - although not for a while! In Glebe, head for Glebe Point Road - there's a couple of NA shops there. The Saturday markets are also worth dropping into. And GPR has a good choice of cafes/restaurants. As does King Street in Newtown. The second hand bookshops in Newtown is also worth dropping in on. Both are very easy to get to from the CBD - buses run regularly.
Sounds worth a visit there then I'll get checking out the buses - thanks
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

You can walk to Glebe Point Road from Central in about 15 minutes, Polly, or take any number of buses from Railway Square. Some great cafes, as has been said, and bookstores too. Sappho bookstore surprisingly has a lovely courtyard cafe bar out the back, and Badde Manors does great food - gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, you name it.

You could even combine it with a trip to Newtown and then get the 370 from Newtown, which goes down King St (main street in Newtown, rather long), then City Road, crosses Broadway, and into Glebe Point. Get off the bus at the first stop there and go feast your eyes on all the wonderful cakes and pastries in La Banette. Oh my. It's a really bad thing that's where I get off the bus for work

You can walk through Ultimo from there (that's where I work, it's Charity Land) across Harris St and into Darling Harbour and Chinatown.

Get yourself on Google Maps and get a feel for where all these places are in relation to each other. Bring comfy shoes

A lot of the city buses are pre-paid only. Just a reminder to be on your guard around Central station, it's a bit rough round there. Don't be paranoid, but don't be reckless.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:29 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
You can walk to Glebe Point Road from Central in about 15 minutes, Polly, or take any number of buses from Railway Square. Some great cafes, as has been said, and bookstores too. Sappho bookstore surprisingly has a lovely courtyard cafe bar out the back, and Badde Manors does great food - gluten-free, vegetarian, vegan, you name it.

You could even combine it with a trip to Newtown and then get the 370 from Newtown, which goes down King St (main street in Newtown, rather long), then City Road, crosses Broadway, and into Glebe Point. Get off the bus at the first stop there and go feast your eyes on all the wonderful cakes and pastries in La Banette. Oh my. It's a really bad thing that's where I get off the bus for work

You can walk through Ultimo from there (that's where I work, it's Charity Land) across Harris St and into Darling Harbour and Chinatown.

Get yourself on Google Maps and get a feel for where all these places are in relation to each other. Bring comfy shoes

A lot of the city buses are pre-paid only. Just a reminder to be on your guard around Central station, it's a bit rough round there. Don't be paranoid, but don't be reckless.
Thanks!
I'll pick up one of those pre-paid weekly tickets, got to make life easier, and I'll have a browse round google maps this weekend and get an idea of the place and where everything is
Old Dec 8th 2011, 10:51 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Was it last weekend or is it this weekend you're in Sydney, Polly?

I spotted this from the car the other morning and have just remembered to look it up:

http://www.yelp.com.au/biz/transfere...ng-chippendale

Very easy to get to from Central, from Newtown, from Glebe (all places we've mentioned above).
Old Dec 8th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you had a great time Pollyanna.

We are off to Sydney for a few days next week and reading this thread had given us some great ideas. Looking forward to escaping Darwin for a little while xx
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:29 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hope you had a great time Pollyanna.

We are off to Sydney for a few days next week and reading this thread had given us some great ideas. Looking forward to escaping Darwin for a little while xx
Had to postpone it till next year Work decided to launch a new computer system and give several people leave at the same time. I wasn't told to cancel but the expectation was there. Very long week of 12 hour days, if I'd been in Sydney Monday & tuesday the rest of the week would've been even more of a nightmare!
So I shall try again next year - I'll come back to the thread then cos theres some great suggestions in here
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Had to postpone it till next year Work decided to launch a new computer system and give several people leave at the same time. I wasn't told to cancel but the expectation was there. Very long week of 12 hour days, if I'd been in Sydney Monday & tuesday the rest of the week would've been even more of a nightmare!
So I shall try again next year - I'll come back to the thread then cos theres some great suggestions in here
Good job that the cruise friend people weren't needing to be met then. That was such a shit sentence but you know what I mean.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 12:32 am
Auntie Fa

Oh well, now you can come when you really want to, not just because you felt obliged to.
Old Dec 9th 2011, 2:19 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Good job that the cruise friend people weren't needing to be met then. That was such a shit sentence but you know what I mean.
You're right - though I probably would've gone if they were still on the cruise
Originally Posted by Seasider
Oh well, now you can come when you really want to, not just because you felt obliged to.
Thats what I thought - if I'd gone now, without the "I have to do this to meet up with people" thing. then I'd be stressed the whole time about the work piling up here. I've got the ticket held in credit so I'll leave it till next year then come down for a few days