Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:08 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

My own favourites are

Breakfast at Bondi walk to Bronte for Brunch walk to coogee for lunch.

Manly ferry

Blue mountains walks

For shopping there is always the toolshed to put the wicked in the witch.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:01 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Newtown and Glebe are definitely the place to head for New Age shops. I know Glebe better than Newtown, as I used to live there - although not for a while! In Glebe, head for Glebe Point Road - there's a couple of NA shops there. The Saturday markets are also worth dropping into. And GPR has a good choice of cafes/restaurants. As does King Street in Newtown. The second hand bookshops in Newtown is also worth dropping in on. Both are very easy to get to from the CBD - buses run regularly.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 6:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

The harbour cruise I went on cost $22 - hardly broke the bank account and you got a free beer in with that (check out for coupons online)
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GreenMan72
If walking is your thing, do the Bondi to Coogee walk (and I suspect the Sculptures by the Sea may still be on).

It is a terrific walk in good weather and in my opinion, showcases the rocky coastline and beaches

Reading these replies has given me a few more ideas for weekend stuff!
Yeah great choice,done that a few times
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:05 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
And if you get bored, Canberra is just a bus ride away
And the bus is always empty
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Yeah great choice,done that a few times
How long is the walk? Happy to give it a go but I don't want to kill myself
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:29 am

Bondi to Bronte is easy. Bondi to Coogee is a hike. Best done out of the heat.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:31 am
FREE TIBET

You may not have to kill yourself,the drug crazed looneys will take care of that
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:38 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

sod the sandcastles seen one seen em all find a pub instead
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:45 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Bondi to Bronte is easy. Bondi to Coogee is a hike. Best done out of the heat.
I'll wait and see how the weather goes then, struggling in the heat here already this year

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
You may not have to kill yourself,the drug crazed looneys will take care of that
Awww thats no fun, I'd rather dall over a cliffedge or something exciting!!
Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
sod the sandcastles seen one seen em all find a pub instead
It was the rocky coastline bit that appealed, not really a beach person! Pubs on the other hand.... got a good list of them now!
Old Nov 15th 2011, 7:46 am

.....It was the rocky coastline bit that appealed, not really a beach person! Pubs on the other hand.... got a good list of them now!
I was talkin about the beach sculptures mate
Old Nov 15th 2011, 8:22 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

All good recommendations. Tons of places to eat, all cuisines and prices.

Somebody mentioned Kenji's at the Opera House - we eat there a lot. Other options available as it's part of the Opera Kitchen (sort of upmarket foodcourt) on the lower concourse, next to the Opera Bar. One of my favourite places to watch the sun go down - glass of brut in hand of course

Somebody mentioned Brett Whitely's gallery - I'd add his wife Wendy's garden. Go over on the ferry to Milsons Point, wander through Luna Park, have a drink/snack/meal at The Deck, then carry on round the boardwalk into Lavender Bay and up some steps into the Secret Garden. It's amazing.

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/aro...-secret-garden

Time Out is a very good resource generally, and this might also be useful http://urbanwalkabout.com/sydney/ You can pick up free maps on all those areas, in the shops and cafes.

There's tons of free stuff to do. Botanic Gardens are beautiful, and you can walk through them to or from the Art Gallery of NSW, where the Picasso exhibition is on. All the permanent exhibits are free to see.

Somebody mentioned Cockatoo Island. It's a great place just to go wander round, camera in hand, but at the moment there's this on:

http://www.outpost.cockatooisland.gov.au/index.html

edit: pressed the button too early!

There's a Banksy exhibition as part of that, that I want to see. Will be busy on a weekend I'd say.

Fish Markets - wander, shop, fish, do a cookery lesson?

Take a ferry to McMahons Point and sit on the grass at the bottom of Blues Point Rd for one of the best views around, especially at night. (You can't walk round from Lavender Bay, unfortunately, but you can walk up some very steep steps and back down again That used to be my 'hood.)

I just love walking around Sydney, TBH. Sitting in a cafe or on a bench, people-watching. It's fab.

It's also bloody hot - not sure what it topped out at today but yesterday was 37C.

Last edited by Kooky.; Nov 15th 2011 at 8:26 am.
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:03 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Seasider
All good recommendations. Tons of places to eat, all cuisines and prices.

Somebody mentioned Kenji's at the Opera House - we eat there a lot. Other options available as it's part of the Opera Kitchen (sort of upmarket foodcourt) on the lower concourse, next to the Opera Bar. One of my favourite places to watch the sun go down - glass of brut in hand of course

Somebody mentioned Brett Whitely's gallery - I'd add his wife Wendy's garden. Go over on the ferry to Milsons Point, wander through Luna Park, have a drink/snack/meal at The Deck, then carry on round the boardwalk into Lavender Bay and up some steps into the Secret Garden. It's amazing.

http://www.au.timeout.com/sydney/aro...-secret-garden

Time Out is a very good resource generally, and this might also be useful http://urbanwalkabout.com/sydney/ You can pick up free maps on all those areas, in the shops and cafes.

There's tons of free stuff to do. Botanic Gardens are beautiful, and you can walk through them to or from the Art Gallery of NSW, where the Picasso exhibition is on. All the permanent exhibits are free to see.

Somebody mentioned Cockatoo Island. It's a great place just to go wander round, camera in hand, but at the moment there's this on:

http://www.outpost.cockatooisland.gov.au/index.html

edit: pressed the button too early!

There's a Banksy exhibition as part of that, that I want to see. Will be busy on a weekend I'd say.

Fish Markets - wander, shop, fish, do a cookery lesson?

Originally Posted by Seasider
Take a ferry to McMahons Point and sit on the grass at the bottom of Blues Point Rd for one of the best views around, especially at night. (You can't walk round from Lavender Bay, unfortunately, but you can walk up some very steep steps and back down again That used to be my 'hood.)

I just love walking around Sydney, TBH. Sitting in a cafe or on a bench, people-watching. It's fab.

It's also bloody hot - not sure what it topped out at today but yesterday was 37C.
Looks like I should spend this weekend going through all this and planning stuff!!
Please God it won't be 37C; the last three years Ive been able to sleep through the day and avoid the heat, this year its making me ill already as I have to be awake and walking to work in it I'm starting to feel I hate Australia again because of it so I need to get out and convince myself otherwise
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:19 am

Only 30 today but back burning has smoked the place out. It is normally less humid than Brissie.

Looks like I should spend this weekend going through all this and planning stuff!!
Please God it won't be 37C; the last three years Ive been able to sleep through the day and avoid the heat, this year its making me ill already as I have to be awake and walking to work in it I'm starting to feel I hate Australia again because of it so I need to get out and convince myself otherwise
Old Nov 15th 2011, 9:34 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I did one recently - Seafood Barbeque Course. The kitchen assistants kept trying to make me gut fish and de-beard mussels but I only went to make sure The Geek learned how to do it all (although I did actually clean a squid, I mostly prepared the salads )

(Do I cook? I finally told my cleaner the other weekend, not to bother cleaning the oven. Lived here since June 2010 and never switched it on )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.