Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Old Nov 13th 2011, 8:32 pm
  #31  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,188
iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Best thing to see in Sydney..... Central Station as you board the train and get the Hell out of town.

Get the train to the Gong. You can see all the 'sights' in five min and spend the rest of the day in the pub.
iamthecreaturefromuranus is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:03 pm
  #32  
Auntie Fa
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 7,344
Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Haven't got time to read all this now but subscribing to remind me to do so later.

I wouldn't pay for a harbour cruise, my'self, when you can get great views from the ferries at a fraction of the price - although the tall ship is cool.

Polly, you'd like Newtown for grungey, new-age shops. Crystals and happy herbs galore When are you coming, I can't remember the dates?

Swerv-o's yer man for real pubs.
Kooky. is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:18 pm
  #33  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,462
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by campervanfan View Post
ohh this is fab- thought I knew this time which sights I wanted to see but you've all added so much for my trip soon too- so thanks for asking Polly!!!


Originally Posted by Turban Explorer View Post
The botanical gardens could be amalgamated with a trip to the Andrew Boy Charlton swimming pool. There will be some great bodies on display. Actually I think i remember the restaurant in the gardens being rather nice too.

The aquarium is nice although probably way too busy. A walk along the Spit? Crashing surf and the ocean.
Crashing surf etc sounds good thats my kind of walk! Dont mind a trip round the Botanical Gardens if I'm in the right mood - love the one in Hobart

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus View Post
Best thing to see in Sydney..... Central Station as you board the train and get the Hell out of town.

Get the train to the Gong. You can see all the 'sights' in five min and spend the rest of the day in the pub.


Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
Haven't got time to read all this now but subscribing to remind me to do so later.

I wouldn't pay for a harbour cruise, my'self, when you can get great views from the ferries at a fraction of the price - although the tall ship is cool.

Polly, you'd like Newtown for grungey, new-age shops. Crystals and happy herbs galore When are you coming, I can't remember the dates?

Swerv-o's yer man for real pubs.
Newtown, right I'll make a note of that

I'm there Sat - Tuesday the first weekend of December
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:20 pm
  #34  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Casino revamped and reopened as The Star:



fish.01 is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 9:47 pm
  #35  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Here's some recommendations for Asian food in Sydney from sky_is_the_limit on skyscrapercity forums (Oct 14th 2011).

Chinese:
- Cantonese; Fei Jai (Potts Point), Golden Century (Haymarket, The Star - opens December)
- Northern; Chefs Gallery (George Street)
- 'Modern;' Billy Kwong (Surry Hills)
- Sichuan; Spice Temple (also Hunan, Yunan), Spicey Sichuan (Haymarket)
- Taiwanese; Blue Eye Dragon (Pyrmont), Din Tai Fung (World Square)

Indian: Aki's (Woolloomooloo), Malabar (Darlinghurst), Zaaffran (Darling Harbour)

Japanese: Kenji (Sydney Opera House), Miso (World Square), Sake (The Rocks), Sokyo (The Star - opens mid November)

Korean: Daejangkum (Haymarket), Momofuku Seiobo (The Star - opens soon), Sydney Madang (Pitt Street),

Malaysian: Chinta Ria (Darling Harbour, Westfield Sydney), Mamak (Haymarket), The Malayan (King Street Wharf)

Thai: Chat Thai (Haymarket, The Galeries, Westfield Sydney, Manly Wharf), Home Thai (Sussex Street), Longrain (Surry Hills)`

(Source: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...s#post84694726)
fish.01 is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 10:17 pm
  #36  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
fish.01's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,039
fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Sydney has some great architecture worth looking up for.

Check out this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...y#post30164106

I also like walking around inner city Paddington: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...n#post75393307

Last edited by fish.01; Nov 13th 2011 at 10:25 pm.
fish.01 is offline  
Old Nov 13th 2011, 11:25 pm
  #37  
has lost The Game
 
Swerv-o's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Chippendale, Sydney
Posts: 8,735
Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
So me and my trusty Lonely Planet book are off to Sydney for four days.....
looking for some hints on what/where/how

Good pubs in the centre? (specially ones likely to be showing UK football on Sat night/Sun morning) preferably not plastic & chrome, but ones with a bit of character!
Is there a public transport ticket thing I can buy that does all the trains/buses/ferries - like the Go card or Oyster card?
Anyone know of any good witchy/mystery/astrology/New Age type shops?

Only time I've been to Sydney before was between flights and we only had time to get a ferry across to Manley and back; I'd like to do some kind of longer cruise round the Harbour - any recommendations? do they have anything like Brisbane's kookaburra Queen that does dinner cruises?

Ghost tours/historical tours - anything in that line welcome

I was supposed to be meeting people there but that's fallen through so I need convincing that its still worth spending four days there

Are you going to make it for Thursday night drinkies? Please come along if you are here on a Thursday night...


S
Swerv-o is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 12:30 am
  #38  
Social Grenade Thrower
 
paddyo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: South Coast, NSW
Posts: 3,625
paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

see below in Red

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
So me and my trusty Lonely Planet book are off to Sydney for four days.....
looking for some hints on what/where/how

Good pubs in the centre? (specially ones likely to be showing UK football on Sat night/Sun morning) preferably not plastic & chrome, but ones with a bit of character! For late night UK football the best place is the Cheers Bar on George St, usually full of expats catching up with decent football. Lots of other good bars ijn Sydney but as usual its knowing where they are, Swervo would have a good list of places you might like. My favorite is Harts Pub, Corner of Essex & Gloucester St, The Rocks which has its own brewed beers to suit all. here is a link : http://www.hartspub.com/hartspub/Home.htm
Is there a public transport ticket thing I can buy that does all the trains/buses/ferries - like the Go card or Oyster card? Yes, the My Multi ticket allows use of Bus, Train, Ferry and Light Rail in the Sydney region, here is the link: http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/myzone
Anyone know of any good witchy/mystery/astrology/New Age type shops? Best place is Newtown for that sort of thing....or else check out my Mother In Laws attic!!

Only time I've been to Sydney before was between flights and we only had time to get a ferry across to Manley and back; I'd like to do some kind of longer cruise round the Harbour - any recommendations? do they have anything like Brisbane's kookaburra Queen that does dinner cruises? The Manly Ferry is a good way to see the harbour, there and back takes an hour and also taking the River journey up to Parramatta and back also takes the same time, both allow you to see the whole of the Harbour and inner river. There are also dinner cruises as well as other posters have mentioned.

Ghost tours/historical tours - anything in that line welcome

I was supposed to be meeting people there but that's fallen through so I need convincing that its still worth spending four days there
paddyo is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 2:59 am
  #39  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,462
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by Swerv-o View Post
Are you going to make it for Thursday night drinkies? Please come along if you are here on a Thursday night...


S
I'd love to but I'm there Saturday till Tuesday, can't get any longer off work I'm afraid. I booked it cos I was supposed to be meeting someone on the Mon & Tues, and they've now cancelled - otherwise I'd have booked with to get a Thursday there. Never mind, there might be another time, can't see me doing all of this in one trip!
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 3:03 am
  #40  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,462
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
For late night UK football the best place is the Cheers Bar on George St, usually full of expats catching up with decent football. Lots of other good bars ijn Sydney but as usual its knowing where they are, Swervo would have a good list of places you might like. My favorite is Harts Pub, Corner of Essex & Gloucester St, The Rocks which has its own brewed beers to suit all. here is a link : http://www.hartspub.com/hartspub/Home.htm
Thanks for that
Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
Yes, the My Multi ticket allows use of Bus, Train, Ferry and Light Rail in the Sydney region, here is the link: http://www.131500.com.au/tickets/fares/myzone
Anyone know of any good witchy/mystery/astrology/New Age type shops? Best place is Newtown for that sort of thing....or else check out my Mother In Laws attic!!
Newtown here I come - not so sure about your MiL's attic though
Originally Posted by paddyo View Post
The Manly Ferry is a good way to see the harbour, there and back takes an hour and also taking the River journey up to Parramatta and back also takes the same time, both allow you to see the whole of the Harbour and inner river. There are also dinner cruises as well as other posters have mentioned.
Up the river to Parramatta might be an interesting trip. I've seen so much of Tassie through going on boat trips that I thought it should be possible to do some good ones in Sydney too

Cheers
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 6:59 am
  #41  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,348
paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

And if you get bored, Canberra is just a bus ride away
paulry is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:17 pm
  #42  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Why not be an 'un' tourist and pretend you 'live' in Sydney. Get one of those travel passes that gives unlimited travel on bus/train/ferry and go to a few places at random.

Get a bus down Parramatta Road to Leichhardt then walk up and down Norton St, then get another bus to Balmain and do the same thing there.

Newtown is good like someone else said and have a look at the shops/markets in Paddo, Surry Hills - 1st Saturday of the month - if you are here then - Glebe - Rozelle - Balmain.

Why not book a play/show at the Opera House rather than just going around the outside. That reminds me that I want to see Julius Caesar there.

I don't know why you need convincing that it's worth spending four days in a city like Sydney.
saveme is offline  
Old Nov 14th 2011, 8:25 pm
  #43  
Fronting the Parole Board
Thread Starter
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,462
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by saveme View Post
Why not be an 'un' tourist and pretend you 'live' in Sydney. Get one of those travel passes that gives unlimited travel on bus/train/ferry and go to a few places at random.

Get a bus down Parramatta Road to Leichhardt then walk up and down Norton St, then get another bus to Balmain and do the same thing there.

Newtown is good like someone else said and have a look at the shops/markets in Paddo, Surry Hills - 1st Saturday of the month - if you are here then - Glebe - Rozelle - Balmain.

Why not book a play/show at the Opera House rather than just going around the outside. That reminds me that I want to see Julius Caesar there.

I don't know why you need convincing that it's worth spending four days in a city like Sydney.
Cos I really should be at work instead - we are snowed under - and if I hadn't originally booked the trip to meet some friend's of my mother, then I wouldn't be going right now. Thought about the Opera House but not really got much spare cash (part of the reason why i needed convincing that its worth going!!) and nothing on I really would want to see.

Got a good view ideas now though
Pollyana is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2011, 12:21 am
  #44  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,493
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

I think Fish mentioned the Bridge Museum. We thought that was really good, even though there was a school visit at the same time. Great views and not terribly high.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Nov 15th 2011, 5:11 am
  #45  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Strawberry Hills(billy), NSW
Posts: 631
saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Four days in Sydney - suggestions please?!

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Cos I really should be at work instead - we are snowed under - and if I hadn't originally booked the trip to meet some friend's of my mother, then I wouldn't be going right now. Thought about the Opera House but not really got much spare cash (part of the reason why i needed convincing that its worth going!!) and nothing on I really would want to see.

Got a good view ideas now though
Ah well, being an 'un-tourist' is a good idea if you are financially embarrassed (not unlike my own circumstances!) Take the ferry not the harbour cruise (as someone else suggested) buy the multi travel pass (ditto.) Did somebody recommend The White Rabbit Gallery in Chippo? I came across it by accident, went in for tea, and one of the staff asked if I'd been up to the gallery? 'It's free!' It was good too, like a mini Tate Modern.

I love walking around Sydney like that, always coming across hidden gems - like the Brett Whiteley Gallery in Surry Hills - not been in yet but that is free too.
saveme is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.