Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Found a rental in Melbourne in 4 days and no its not a squat

Found a rental in Melbourne in 4 days and no its not a squat

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Found a rental in Melbourne in 4 days and no its not a squat

Ok we managed to find somewhere to live in 3 and half days in Melbourne, and move in on Friday hopefully.

We arrived Sunday pm and started looking monday as I start work on 27th and we are staying out of the city.

Here is what we found as essential.
1. Get a top up/pre pay phone and an ozzie bank account
No rental agents seem to use email, its all done by calling. Once we sent of interest messages on the agent websites with an ozzie mobile we had loads of calls.

2. Use realestate.com.au to find places but look at the agents own sites to confirm the place was still available. We missed out on some open homes because they didnt update realestate.com.au as quick as the companies own sites.

3. Badger the agents, email them then call them, then email to say you called. Dont p*ss them off but make sure they dont forget about you. We found the email, call, email worked.

4. Dont pick the first place, we looked at some that were more than we will be paying now and they were terrible.

5. Use the internet, dont bother going to the agents, register your email address so they will alert you of open homes. Check 3 times per a day.

6. Before you go to an open home or inspection take with you completed forms, photocopies of your passport, entrance visas, copies of an ozzie bank statement, and references from previous landlords or lawyer etc.

Anyone got any thing else. Im not an expert and we made a few cock ups, but we got the place in 4 days so cant be too bad eh,
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:45 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Found a rental in Melbourne in 4 days and no its not a squat

Originally Posted by Sugo

Ok we managed to find somewhere to live in 3 and half days in Melbourne, and move in on Friday hopefully.

We arrived Sunday pm and started looking monday as I start work on 27th and we are staying out of the city.

Here is what we found as essential.
1. Get a top up/pre pay phone and an ozzie bank account
No rental agents seem to use email, its all done by calling. Once we sent of interest messages on the agent websites with an ozzie mobile we had loads of calls.

2. Use realestate.com.au to find places but look at the agents own sites to confirm the place was still available. We missed out on some open homes because they didnt update realestate.com.au as quick as the companies own sites.

3. Badger the agents, email them then call them, then email to say you called. Dont p*ss them off but make sure they dont forget about you. We found the email, call, email worked.

4. Dont pick the first place, we looked at some that were more than we will be paying now and they were terrible.

5. Use the internet, dont bother going to the agents, register your email address so they will alert you of open homes. Check 3 times per a day.

6. Before you go to an open home or inspection take with you completed forms, photocopies of your passport, entrance visas, copies of an ozzie bank statement, and references from previous landlords or lawyer etc.

Anyone got any thing else. Im not an expert and we made a few cock ups, but we got the place in 4 days so cant be too bad eh,
Well done

People just need to remember as you have discovered estate agents are estate agents all over. This is one of the tough parts of the migration and you just have to grin and bear it as best you can.

Essentials tools:
Oz mobile number
Melways/GPS
Connection to internet
Transport (vehicle) I am in admiration for how you managed this Sugo on Public transport - was about to offer my services as driver this Saturday.
Copies of pre prepared applications - possibly a pad to remember all the places you have submitted applications for .... agent called "your application has been accepted....." "...great which property was it?"
Sense of humour
Doll (representing agents) for pricking with large needle - Voodoo I do believe
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Well done

People just need to remember as you have discovered estate agents are estate agents all over. This is one of the tough parts of the migration and you just have to grin and bear it as best you can.

Essentials tools:
Oz mobile number
Melways/GPS
Connection to internet
Transport (vehicle) I am in admiration for how you managed this Sugo on Public transport - was about to offer my services as driver this Saturday.
Copies of pre prepared applications - possibly a pad to remember all the places you have submitted applications for .... agent called "your application has been accepted....." "...great which property was it?"
Sense of humour
Doll (representing agents) for pricking with large needle - Voodoo I do believe

LOL thanks for that mate.

Yeah the transport was interesting, not used to using trams, so sometimes walked on foot. That hurt a bit.

Had some great news today too, our stuff has cleared customs and will be delivered on Monday, so we move in on Saturday so only 2 nights on the blow up mattress yayyy.

Melbourne is great though, also its really warm during the day too. Got a little burnt on the first day.

Will be living in Collingwood, nice street, safe secure place to live. I liked collingwood last time I stayed in Melbourne.

As for estate agents the one who as sorted our application has been great, our ex landlord gave us all the old contact details so she couldnt get in touch, but no worries she googled them and gave them a call. She basically told us it was a definate after she heard from our first referree.

cheers

Sugo
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 4:36 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Good luck with the new digs Sugo, I'm sure you will love Melbourne.

Been here 8 years now & it still gets better & better.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Greats news mate, well played. We'll be in Melbourne looking for rentals in about 6 weeks...J has landed a job near Williamstown/Altona so it will be between there and the CBD I imagine.

Cheers for the tips